• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Asked a Chemist About Burning Gunpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

My uncle is a chemist. I asked him what byproducts I can expect from burning true black. Though I suspect most of you know this, here is his answer:

So when you burn charcoal the main product is CO2 though in some cases some carbon monoxide is there too. Sulfur combusts to form primarily SO2 sulfurdioxide - which gives gunpowder its "bite smell." The Saltpeter Potassium Nitrate, decom...poses to several different things including nitrous oxide, nitric oxide, nitrogen, and of course some Potassium Oxide - that gives a good portion of the white residue from gunpowder. The temperatures inside a gun also allow the three you asked about to react with gun material and shell material.

Josh

So, what he's saying is... you're left with a water soluble substance that is easy cleaned from the barrel. :wink:

Well, next I asked him how the equation would change if potassium perchlorate were added. Gonna check that answer after I get off the Blackberry in the meditational chamber here (yup, I squat and surf. Now you know. Your life is now complete!)

Anyway, should be interesting.

Josh

Josh Smith said:
Well, next I asked him how the equation would change if potassium perchlorate were added. Gonna check that answer after I get off the Blackberry in the meditational chamber here (yup, I squat and surf. Now you know. Your life is now complete!)

Josh

You'd have poopydex and the gun wouldn't fire. :idunno:

Hello,

Be real, real careful of potassium perchlorate. Watch out for friction and static electricity ANY time you have it near anything that could burn. Perchlorate decomposing or breaking apart is much more complex than nitrates. It can make, a...nd usually does make a mixture of several items - all nasty of themselves. Combustion is oxidation. Nitrates and chlorates and perthings cause oxidation and do not themselves oxidize, but they do break apart so I used the word decomposes. Thank you Josh for allowing me to make of some use what I taught for so many years.

I've asked him to expound upon the nature of perchlorates decomposing.

Learned something new about my uncle -- when they would conduct powder tests at Crane Naval Base, he would always volunteer.

Here I thought he was "just" a chemistry teacher. Turns out he's THE person to be talking to about this stuff! :bow:

I have an awesome family.

Josh

necchi said:
Ask him if he's ever heard of or knows Bill Knight.

Just sent the email. Might be a while before I hear back.

Is Bill Knight the one with the inlines and disk rifles and all that? I know the terminology but not what they do. Not really interested in those things.

Thanks!

Josh

William A Knight, aka; the Mad Monk http://www.laflinandrand.com/page3.htm

The premere and foremost expert on Black powder and explosives in the United States.

If you haven't read these pages your missing alot, and I don't speak lightly when I say they should not be just quickly scanned and put on a shelf as some "interesting stuff". If you want to understand the chemistry of black powder, these documents refered too as the "mutterings of the mad monk" should be considered your bible.
Other "chemists" can only aspire to be schooled with his knowledge.
(His information and advice is used by the military on a frequent basis)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Knight (Mad Monk) is a member of this forum but I haven't seen any posts by him for a long time.

I suppose he has better things to do but, yes, he is the foremost expert on real black powder and has been an adviser to companies all over the world.

Capper said:
Josh Smith said:

Josh

You'd have poopydex and the gun wouldn't fire. :idunno:

Josh, TMI.Enquiring minds really DON'T want to know this time! :shake:
Pete, so much for the kindlier, gentler Capper! :blah:

Josh Smith said:
Hello,

Be real, real careful of potassium perchlorate. Watch out for friction and static electricity ANY time you have it near anything that could burn. Perchlorate decomposing or breaking apart is much more complex than nitrates. It can make, a...nd usually does make a mixture of several items - all nasty of themselves. Combustion is oxidation. Nitrates and chlorates and perthings cause oxidation and do not themselves oxidize, but they do break apart so I used the word decomposes. Thank you Josh for allowing me to make of some use what I taught for so many years.

I've asked him to expound upon the nature of perchlorates decomposing.

Learned something new about my uncle -- when they would conduct powder tests at Crane Naval Base, he would always volunteer.

Here I thought he was "just" a chemistry teacher. Turns out he's THE person to be talking to about this stuff! :bow:

I have an awesome family.

Josh

I have the patent papers for Pyrodex someplace around here so I could dig up the formula if I looked long enough. It is about 30% potassium Perchlorate IIRC.
If Mad Monk were the check in it would be very informative.
Dan

Josh Smith said:

Josh
Well, how different could the smell be? :grin:

1911nutjob said:
Well, how different could the smell be?

Actually nutjob, the properties that effect the traditional shooter with high Potassium Perchlorate powders are;
How Hygroscopic is it? How does ambiant moisture effect the powders flow rate and ignition reliability?
What kind of fouling is left? How much is left? Is it hard or soft and does IT have hygroscopic issues?

These are just a few things a shooter needs to learn about his powder choice too make it easier to maintain a consistancy in his loading technique, towards the goal of repeatable accuracy.

What kind of quirks does this stuff have on a hot muggy day vrs a cool dry day?

Josh Smith said:
Hello,

The Saltpeter Potassium Nitrate, decomposes to several different things including nitrous oxide,

Josh[/quote]

My powder seems to decomposes to a higher degree of nitrous oxide than many powders I guess. At least that's my explanation of why I smile so much when I'm shooting. Laughing gas.

trent/OH said:
Josh Smith said:
Hello,

The Saltpeter Potassium Nitrate, decomposes to several different things including nitrous oxide,

Josh

My powder seems to decomposes to a higher degree of nitrous oxide than many powders I guess. At least that's my explanation of why I smile so much when I'm shooting. Laughing gas.
[/quote]

I noticed that. I also noticed the other day that, to me, black powder residue tastes just like scrambled eggs.

Interesting.

Josh

OK folks, Uncle Jerry said he was getting to the end of what he knew from memory.

He did say, however, that he would expect deflagrating perchlorates to form stuff harder on the bore than straight gunpowder.

He did not think, however, that it was an issue if the bore was cleaned right away. In fact, that was one of his questions to me, verbatim: "So Josh, one thing I don't understand -- if you clean the barrel on a regular basis, why is this something you're worrying about?"

In other words, yes, the perchlorates deflagrate into nasties. However, it doesn't matter unless you let it set for a few days without cleaning.

Honestly, I think the conversation, done over Facebook, wore him out a bit. He's not a youngin' like me -- he's over 60! :surrender:

Josh

Josh Smith said:
I noticed that. I also noticed the other day that, to me, black powder residue tastes just like scrambled eggs.

Interesting.

Josh

You make some really bad scrambled eggs. :surrender:

necchi said:
1911nutjob said:
Well, how different could the smell be?

Actually nutjob, the properties that effect the traditional shooter with high Potassium Perchlorate powders are;
How Hygroscopic is it? How does ambiant moisture effect the powders flow rate and ignition reliability?
What kind of fouling is left? How much is left? Is it hard or soft and does IT have hygroscopic issues?

These are just a few things a shooter needs to learn about his powder choice too make it easier to maintain a consistancy in his loading technique, towards the goal of repeatable accuracy.

What kind of quirks does this stuff have on a hot muggy day vrs a cool dry day?
I was more referring to his choice of surfing location. :blah: Guess I'm the only one with a juvenile sense of humor tonight.

Back