• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herb, That is the answer I was waiting for.
Than you for your time to reply.
Aim small, miss small..

My apologieze to Custom Smokepole, I should know better than to get involved with a "what Powder" thread, I seldom do.
But I really mean it's a good thing to read here. There is more info burried in the back pages than you can find in several volumes of books.
The back pages can reveal info that isn't being debated, info can be found that's repeated by several people,,,and that's the stuff you can count on as being reliable. It beats hands down 1 person explaining something the way you want to hear it.
When it comes to powders, because this is the net and we can't be there to show you techniques,,and because each loaders particular variables are different, each person really needs to try different powders in a non-bias manner to develop a like or dis-likes for any brand.
That said, I've been using T7 for 7-8 years, I don't care what it costs, I don't care that it's not real BP, it shoots really good in my guns with my technique.

And alabamaboy, I've got something for you too, Hang on a second,,
,,there, that should be better.

Well thank you for that but you really should cover your mouth when you burp or a lease brush your teeth. That was really bad :haha: See guys all you got to do is shake the bucket ,kinda like sticking a stick in an ant hill

Mike it is not as offensive as it is silly some of us come here for answers we are just learning the ends and outs of how this forum works it will take some time to learn I am certainly not offended by you ,I don't know you except what i see on this forum and it dosen't give me a good impression for any of you who act badly, remember first impressions say a lot. Right now the way I see it this forum is the only thing standing in the way of a gun fight, and for what it is worth I am not sure I would want to meet some of you off site. I am sure this will not set very well with some but and I am sorry for that. To get respect you need to give respect.

Ok , i am done now :v :v

back in 1990 i started shooting a tc new englander. my advent in to the sport. all i could get was pyrodex, it worked. shot a nice 8pt buck that year and was hooked. i could not find black then and did not have the internet so that is what i shot til 777 arrived on the scene. at 19.00 a lb i could justify using it. liked the performance and friendly cleanup. now the stuff is 30.00 a lb.
after chronographing many loads including pyrodex, 777, AP, and wano- 777 gave the greatest velocity. and it was accurate in my rifles. velocity isn't the end all to end all, accuracy is i believe. i shoot black because its cheaper, has good velocity and is accurate. :blah:

Dixie Flinter said:
Custom Smokepole - my experience has been primarily with good ole Goex, but ONCE I tried Swiss 2f in my Southern Mountain .54 with its swamped 42" barrel. So this is one day at the range, not a scientific experiment.

Goex 2f or 3f: 80 to 90 grains will shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards on a good day.

Swiss 2f: taking advice I've heard, reduced load to 70 grains (think I also tried 75 and 80 grains). Grouping was nowhere near as good. The Swiss was very, very clean. Just couldn't get groups like I do with Goex.

So on another range trip I tried....

Goex Express 2f: Grouped almost as well as regular ole Goex, but not quite. Certainly huntable, and 85 grains POI was same as 85 grains regular Goex.

I'm sticking with regular Goex. Don't care that everyone else that uses Swiss thinks its the best, it just didn't work in the one rifle I tried it in.
Changing powders requires more work than guessing that you need to shoot less powder.
My 50 shoots better with 90 gr of fff Swiss than with 75.
I am not in the slightest surprised that 70 grains did not shoot in a 54 or even 80.
Its necessary to do load development to find an accurate load with any powder. When I switched my 54 to Swiss several years ago I dropped from 100 gr of FFF Goex to 90 of FFF swiss and gained velocity.

Dan

I have never treated you with disrespect. My reaction was not to treat anyone with disrespect, and what happened is between me and Custom Smokepole. I have apologized to him, and anyone else concerned.
Nuff Sed

Herb: My brother tried comparing Swiss Powders to Goex, in his .40 caliber rifles. He found that if he used an OP WAD( Vegetale fiber wad from Walter's), with both brands of powder, they both burned cleaner, and the Goex MV came within 100 fps of what he was getting with the Swiss powders when no OP wad was used. The SDV also dropped more dramatically with the Goex powder, than the Swiss, suggesting that the Goex 3Fg was burning more efficiently when the OP wad was used. All other components were the same for the testing.

The SDV of the Goex powder was very close to that of the Swiss powder, when the OP wads were used. The same volume of powder was poured with both powders, rather than weighing them, or adjusting the Swiss powder charge to achieve the same velocity.

I was making a general statement but I won't do it to you again you can bet on that.I am sorry :surrender:

Whooo, Capper! That's high praise from a man with a gold star by his name. What's the GOLD STAR for?

Herb said:
Whooo, Capper! That's high praise from a man with a gold star by his name. What's the GOLD STAR for?

It means i'm special. :grin:

Actually, it means I dug in my wallet for the forum. :idunno:

You can have a gold star too Herb if you want to pony up to the bar and pay ole' Claude a small pittance.

For your payment you will get some extra benefits and more importantly, Claude will move you to the back of the classroom.

After all, No One really wants to sit in the front of the classroom where the teacher can watch them.
It's in the back where the fun stuff like whispering questions and answers about muzzleloading happens. :thumbsup:

You can mess around with the girls back there too.

That reminds me. Any females on this forum?

Back