• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA barrel replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detcord

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I did try the search for this, but was overwhelmed with results that really didn't seem to be related to my question. I have an older CVA Hawken that has been a very good friend in the past and was my first BP rifle. Unfortunately I have let the barrel get into horrible shape. I would like to replace the barrel. What options do I have with this? Thanks for any assistance with this. Kevin

Deer Creek may have them possibly(you can search for their contact info on this site)

and the big online auction site (flea bag or something like that)
more than likely will have a listing.

I forgot Deer Creek bought all the CVA sidelock stuff. I found several on gunbroker, but am wondering if anyone knows if the green Mt barrel would work.

If you mean the GM "drop-in" barrels, no I don't think so, it's a different breechplug and tang arrangement. If you were to get just a barrel blank it would not be difficult to fit it to your rifle, just like building one from a parts set.

Well, I sure wouldn't want to try to replace a Ardesa barrel with a Green Mountain in an old CVA.

The GM breech plug threads are totally different and without a breechplug that matches the CVA stock mortice it would be a disaster.

Then there is the issue with the method that CVA uses to make their drum and the location of the drum relative to the breech of the GM barrel.

Could it be done? Yes.
Would it be easy? No.

A thought about buying a replacement CVA barrel off of the web.
Everyone selling one will say "It's unfired".
They fail to mention the reason it is unfired is because it is in such bad shape it would be a hazard.

Of course this is not true in every instance but I sure have heard about a lot of pure junk being offered on the web.

I would agree,if they are truly selling a good sound barrel,they will at the very least have bore lighted it,and can tell you the true condition of the bore.I have run into big gunshops who sell online selling used products that have told me they have no idea how to bore light a barrel and are licensed gunsmiths also. :hmm: If they are a good seller it only takes a second to check the condition.Bore lights or thier subsitutes are cheap for the info they give you. Every buckskinner muzzleloading hunter should carry one.I have a bobber light that is used for a night fishing bobbers in my wallet.They are so small they can get lost even in my wallet,perfect for a all time carry tool.The cost is about $4 or less.They can even fit in bores of air guns. :wink: Hope this helps in your search.

Deer Creek has them. Around $100 as I recall. Would have to check my records to be sure. I bought a .54 from them a few months back. Give them a call. Nice people. There are two different style breach plugs used and two diamater barrels used on the .54. They come in the white. I browned mine. Shoots fine. I still need to do some fine tuning on the sighting in part.

Deer Creek doesn't have a web site so you will have to call or write them.

Here's their address and phone number

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182

(765) 525-6181

Not to break up the resolution to the problem but....could you have the barrel freshened to a larger caliber by Bob Hoyt or Ed Ryal? unless it is a 54 cal, you could have a 45 or mabye a 50 bored out? I keep thinking about taking a junked TC barrel and having it bored to a 62 rifle but I keep finding tc muzzleloaders in good shape not junk barrels.

Problem with CVA percussion rifles is the way they installed the breech plug and drum, etc. Breech plug in, then drum hole drilled and tapped and drum screwed in.

Of course, if you end up having it bored out or relined whoever does the work will have the same issue to deal with.

I would check your local pawn shops, keep an eye on the for sale forum here, and just buy a entire new gun as replacement.

You could also do your best to clean it up and see how it shoots - it could well be serviceable and still fun for ya...

Back