• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RANGE REPORT: .50cal Dickert

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I’d had Ed Rayl bore out and re-rifle a GM 7/8” x 42” x .45cal that was on my Dickert, because it was so nose heavy for still hunting”¦to a .50cal with .016” x 1:60” round bottom grooves.
Tested it today and it worked perfectly with my deer hunting load:
90grns Goex 3F / Oxyoke wad / .022” pillow ticking / Hornady .490”
Will see if I can christen it next deer season.

1RightFullcropped.jpg

The gun doesn't have to wait till next year. We still have 4 days in Ohio for ml'er hunting. Send it to me, so you don't waste time until next year seeing if it will work. :grin:

Since we still have approx. a month of deer season left, I think it would be in your best interest to send it south for the winter for thorough testing.In keeping with the holiday spirit there would be no charge for the evaluation. :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
twobarrel said:
Since we still have approx. a month of deer season left, I think it would be in your best interest to send it south for the winter for thorough testing.In keeping with the holiday spirit there would be no charge for the evaluation. :rotf:

Jeez, we get like a whole week here in Pennsylvania.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure you will get er done Roundball. you have a great battin ave. so far an I expect to see some more photos next year :thumbsup:

Our deer season started Oct.1 with archery and closes Jan.31. We have the largest population per acre of any state.Texas does have a larger overall population. Roundball is that rifle a TVM ?

Bryan'
Pennsy only has a week for muzzleoading like my state of NY because they both practice deer eradication instead of deer management
They both seem hell bent to destroy the herd with nuisance permits and doe permits.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion but the truth is that PA has a one week early muzzleloader season and just shy of a 3 week late flintlock season. While some may believe that PA is hell bent on eradicating all the deer, I know that there have been in the neighborhood of 40 deer in a field across from my house the last several nights. That's AFTER our archery, early muzzleloader and rifle seasons.

Oh, by the way, she's a beauty Roundball.

Nice rifle.
What kind of turn around did you have on the re- rifling job?
What are your thoughts on the round radius vs the square radius rifling?

GangGreen said:
Everyone's entitled to an opinion but the truth is that PA has a one week early muzzleloader season and just shy of a 3 week late flintlock season. While some may believe that PA is hell bent on eradicating all the deer, I know that there have been in the neighborhood of 40 deer in a field across from my house the last several nights. That's AFTER our archery, early muzzleloader and rifle seasons.

Oh, by the way, she's a beauty Roundball.

I can't agree with his statement either, no offense to him though. While the state of PA does issue around 30k doe tags per county, there are still a ton of deer around here.

Honestly, what eradicates the heards is the poachers. I had a guy at a bar tell me the other week that he knows guys who get 4 or 5 deer per tag every year like it's common.

Very sad is what that is. My Father taught me to hunt rifle and my Grandfather taught me muzzleloader, however both taught me respect for wildlife and to honor rule of law.

I just turned 29, so I may not be as old (or wise if you wish haha) as some of you fine gents, but my family has always been respectful of nature and that is one trait I've been passed.

Up until small game starts I'm feeding the squirrels, deer and other animals. After that I hunt them. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing a deer on the side of the interstate.

Coudersport, PA...

Why does that sound so familiar????

YES! My Grandfather has a huntin cabin in Coudersport. I don't know the address or location, but I know it's near Sweedin Feedin (I may have spelled that wrong) and I've gotten buttons from there and put on my hunting hat years ago (late 90's).

I love Potter County. My Pop was darn near 70 years old when we last went muzzleloader hunting in Potter County in the 90's. He would drag my early teenage butt up and down 5 mountains and show me a thing or two about hunting!

I'll have to ask him when I see him next week where it's at.

Well I stand corrected gentleman. I spoke through ignorance I guess when speaking about Penn. But I am discouraged at the state of NY and its ever increasing pressure on the deer herd through multiple doe permits and nuisance permits. And having hunted here for years and seeing the changes I am not optimistic about the future.

How did the thread become deer hunting in Pennsylvania ??????

Mark S said:
Nice rifle.
What kind of turn around did you have on the re- rifling job?
The work itself is not all that much of course...when I contacted him back in August, he told me up front he had just committed to a contract for making a lot of barrels and it would be about 8 weeks before he could get to piece work like mine and a few others he had waiting.
So it probably depends on what time of year, that sort of thing...just have to call and discuss it.
What are your thoughts on the round radius vs the square radius rifling?
I much prefer it...having experience with it in a .58cal Rice barrel, when I decided to have this one rebored/rerifled there was no question it would be with round bottom grooves...easier to wipe clean, easier to seat a tight fitting PRB, etc.

No, an M. Meese in Michigan built it for an individual in Arizona back in 2005, and I bought it used from him earier this year.

I’m FROM pA. AND THERE IS NO DOUGHT. they ARE KILLING AS MANY DEER AS THEY CAN. you COULD NOT POSSIBLEY BE A HUNTER WITH ANY AGE TO YOU IF YOU DIDDN'T NOTICE THE RAPID DECLINE.I CAN NOT BELEAVE THE PEOPLE THAT THINK BECAUSE THEY SEE A FEW DEER YARDING UP. THEY THINK MAN WE DO STILL HAVE ALOT OF DEER. I guess they would have to take them down to one deer every 10 miles before the last of the blind people could tell.

Dave K said:
The gun doesn't have to wait till next year. We still have 4 days in Ohio for ml'er hunting. Send it to me, so you don't waste time until next year seeing if it will work. :grin:

:grin:

Back