• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New bag for new rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
So I got my Lehigh done a couple months ago and I told my self, "Self, this rifle needs it's own bag and horn." Well, here is the bag, horn to come.

It's barktan mule deer a friend did for me from an archery buck I got a couple years ago. Single pouch with a divider inside and a small pocket on the inside-back. The flap is one of the legs. Sticked using linen thread. The bag is roughly 7 wide X 9 long. I didn't gusset this one, just made the front a little bigger in dimensions so the front inside is a bit larger than the part behind the divider.

The strap is different leather; buffalo I think and 1.25" wide. Everything treated with a beeswax mixture I have.
PC040012.jpg

PC040007.jpg

PC040009.jpg

PC040016.jpg

PC040019.jpg

The horn is still in the works. Not sure when I can get it done but it'll be simple. :wink:
Thanks for lookin'.

Well done and a good looking pair waiting for the horn. :bow:
Dusty :wink:

Thanks Gents. It was a fun bag. I wanted it to look , well, gnarly and rough.

Then horn is in the works. Got the base rounded and am rasping out the roughness. I broke a bit off in the spout! :cursing: :shake: That was interesting to fix. But I salvaged it. :grin:

I like the bag, but personally, I'd like to see more of the rifle.
Will your water-proofing work on commercially tanned hides?

Mike, it's not so much a water proofing (water proof leather is not realistic IMO). Its just something I put on all my bags. Gives it a little moisture protection. I did saturate a cows knee I made that works fairly decent but I haven't had it in a down pour yet.

The rifle is at this link.

I don't care about realistic. I have several hides, and want to make bags out of them. And I have one already made, that needs waterproofing.
I'm making a bag for each gun I make. Not PC or HC, but I don't care.

I like your rifle. I, too, have a repair on mine, and it just makes it mine. I didn't read enough of my how-to books before I started, and tried to inlet the barrel and breech plug at the same time. Got a gap next to the tang, and filled it with a strip of wood. But that's how you learn. :thumbsup:

Mike Brines said:
I don't care about realistic. I have several hides, and want to make bags out of them. And I have one already made, that needs waterproofing.
I'm making a bag for each gun I make. Not PC or HC, but I don't care.

When I said realistic I didn't mean HC or PC. What I meant was I don't think you can adequately waterproof soft leather to keep moisture from soaking through. At least I haven't been able to.

Thanks on the rifle. I'm just happy it's done and shoots well.

I finally got the horn that goes with this bag done (mostly). I'm finishing up the spout plug and deciding on the right strap for it.

It's 14.5" along the curve to the end of the staple and 2.5" in diameter. It's thin up on the spout so I elected to do a strap keeper staple rather than elaborate carving.

P1030041.jpg

P1030042.jpg

P1030043.jpg

P1030045.jpg

Back