• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Cal Green Mountain Replacement Barrel for my T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ontario Hawken

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a .32 cal barrel for my T/C percussion Hawken to hunt hares this winter.

Has anyone had any luck (good or bad) with these barrels?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

I did a .40 on my TC.
one of the smartest things I have ever done with my money.
I kinda want to say "good luck" finding one right now, but if you do, dont hesitate!

They are like gold right now.
the 32 inch in .32 is gunna be heavy, the 28 might be the better route to go. My 32x .40 is an excellent target gun, but pretty weighty to pack all day, .32 will be heavier!

Green Mountain makes a good barrel. If you are currently shooting a 28" .50 caliber then a .32 of the same length will add exactly one pound. If you go with the 32" .32 caliber it will add a pound and a half. In either case the added weight is all out front where it is most noticeable.

I bought one a number of years ago it is a bit heavy but sure is a sweet shooter. It will shoot a wide range of loads from 15 grains up to 40 very well which is something that I like very much.

I was told by Green Mountain last week that the .32 was discontinued.They do have
.40 cals though.

Try Tip Curtis Frontier Shop, Cross Plains, TN tele: 615-654-4445. I got one from him last spring and it shoots great. :thumbsup:

I bought that exact combo, a .32 cal GM Drop-in barrel in a T/C Hawken stock, last Spring, right here from our classifieds.

:hatsoff:

The barrel on this one is 15/16" x 28", and feels about the same weight as my other capguns.

The accuracy's excellent, too - easily "minute of squill head". :grin:

Here it is, as received - with my .54 Renegade

DSCN0198.JPG

And here it is, after I darkened the bright/shiney brass to a nice patina

DSCN0244.JPG

And then (of course), I hadda customize it with a scrim inlay

DSCN0250.JPG

My hunting pard has one, and it's a dandy shooter. But I notice it goes to the range on not on hare hunts. Our terrain is pretty tough and hilly, but it says a lot that he likes the 32 so much but leaves it home.

I have a 40cal and a 50cal dropin, both tack drivers, Also my flintlock has 50cal green mt.
B weight-Swamped and it also is very accurate :wink:

Wondered if your Hawken was 15/16" or 1" across the flats. Got two .40 GM's that are 1". The 28" is pretty nice. The 38" is OK for super steady sand bagging or raising up the tractor.

Scott if you can locate a 32cal get it. It may be the heaviest 32 you can own but you'll love it anyway. 32's and 36's are fun!!!! Consider the 40cal. A great size for a variety of game. Small enough to pop squirrels with when loading a light powder charge and big enough to be a really good coyote round. Even though popular opinion is usually 50cal or larger for deer, there have been allot of deer killed with a 40cal. Not sure what size muzzle loader round your state allows for deer hunting, check it out. Good round. Good luck.

The GM 40cal barrel on my Hawken is 15/16X32 not bad for offhand target shooting,

The hard part will be finding one.
I bought one for my Renegade several years ago, and it was my first experience with the small bores. It was a relatively inexpensive way to find out I love them. Now I want one a little easier to carry in the field.
Bottom line, if you get one I think you'll like it. They are very accurate.

it would hafta be a .54cal hawken for a renegade barrel to work. for what it's worth, bubba.

Tough decision. Adding a pound to my T/C Hawken means I have to lug around a very heavy gun while on snowshoes for 3-4 hours in heavy brush while chasing hares (not sure you guys have prickly ash where you live, but lets just say it isn't fun!).

Btw. Green Mountain has temporarily stopped making the .32 barrel (15/16" across the flats) due to equipment problems. They are supposed to be back on-line in January.

If I do get a .32 barrel it will cost about $250 Canadian. The cheapest .32 perc rifle (Traditions Crokett) I have found so far is a local guy - $470 before tax. So far my search for a used .32 hasn't produced anything.

Decisions...decisions...knowing my luck if I get a .32 barrel I'll find a used .32 rifle on-line the very next day...maybe a .36 or .40 cal replacement barrel is another option.

Back