• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Grandpa's Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they did both blueing and browning back then, i'd guess this barrel and hardware were browned.

Are you serious, you would recommend sanding the stock down to a smooth finish??? Why would you recommend doing that???

DO NOT sand the stock! Also do not remove all the rust from the exterior of the gun. You want to remove the rust from the inside of the bore though. I personaly use TruOil stock finish and 0000 steel wool very carefuly and gently to clean stocks. Orginal finish was most likely an oil finish and this will remove dirt and refresh the wood. Immediately wipe it down after cleaning. Do small area at a time and do not over do it. You want to clean, not totaly refinish. Also agree about not pulling the breach plug if not absolutely necessary. If gun is .50 cal or larger, they make a bore light that will drop down the bore and show you the exact contition. Might be best to have an expert work on it if you are unsure of what you are doing. Like a doctor, first rule is to do no harm!

Yes, both bluing and browing are a form of oxidation, rust as a matter of fact you can turn a browned finish blue by properly boiling it in distilled water during the browning process. The rifle was most likely browned originally. Once the bore is scrubbed depending on the bore size you can try reflecting light off the breach plug to see the bore condition, I have also dropped a very undersized white bead down the bore and reflected light off of it in the past to see bore condition. You should have a pretty good idea about it once you run a brush and some patches down the bore. I would like to see a muzzle shot of the barrel.

Any particular way to take the best shot of the muzzle? I'm pretty sure it is a .32 caliber so not sure how much we can see. However, I will do my best. Is this what you were looking for?

I'm pretty sure I am going to get it in the hands of a professional before doing anything. A professional, meaning someone with extensive knowledge on "traditional muzzleloaders". Maybe even talk to a couple before doing anything. In fact, I learned of a gentleman real close to where I live (I was told around Georgetown, KY), who actually makes traditional muzzleloaders for around $3,000 each and supposedly has tremendous knowledge and history regarding these type guns. If nothing else I am going to see what he knows and have him take a look at it. Maybe he can make me a ram rod for it if nothing else. I hear he primarily makes new ones so I will have to see if he is willing to take a look.

IMG_0057.jpg

that's a good shot of the muzzle and it does appear to be coned and the bore does, from a glance appear to be salvagable. You might need to have the bore lapped but that's no big deal. Sounds like you have a good contact there, have fun with it!

Front sight and back sight are both in good shape. It's not very tall but long and thin.

Well ain't that pretty!? I have a collection of antique rifles, mostly old military bolt actions, and I can say that these steps have made everyone of those guns as good as... almost new.
1- check to see if it's loaded, I won;t repeat the steps
2- get a light coating of linseed oil on the stock. Real light indeed. many older stocks are dry to the point of being brittle.
3- clean the bore. Old times just plugged both ends and shook around some hot water, poured that out and wiped it dry. Use modern cleaning solvents for this one. There might be pitting deep in the barrel, try to look down it as best you can.
4- replace the ramrod- don't throw it away! Just put it up and get a new hickory one from that track of the wolf site, and cut it down, maybe stain it. I've seen old wood that had to be soaked in linseed oil to penetrate the wood (this is in dry as heck texas). Safer to get a new rod.
5- get some tools- I cannot say what your threads on the old rod are, and odd threads often have odd tools (hard to find and costly when you do)Go on and get som enew toosl for the new rod. Save your antiques for show and history. A new Lee bullet mold is about 20 bucks, and they're American made by God!
7- clean that lock- take off the lock and clean any evident gummed oil of the works with some spray and q-tips. Take your time and go slow.
8- have it looked over- get a pro to have his say.
9- be gentle- if you are ready, take it to the range and put light loads through the rifle. I would not hunt with this gun, but if you have to, be mindful of brush and such.

forgive me if I repeated anything.

In my experience, most modern builders of traditional muzzleloaders are glad to get their hands on a real original. For one thing, they might learn something new. For another thing they have a great reverence for the guns of the past and they want to keep the old guns in good shape. I think your gun will be in good hands with a builder that can charge $3,000 for a new build.

Many Klatch

Back