• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mix 50/50 Pyro/Holy Black?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda got a kick outta that mountainmman show,,when ya watch it next, see if you can count how many times you see a TC Hawkin,, :rotf:

JMinnerath said:
Josh Smith said:
JMinnerath said:
:youcrazy: :bull:

Hmmm... you callin' me a liar?

I'm saying you're :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

Some of these BS ideas of yours are going to get you or someone else hurt.

Hello,

If you have not figured this out yet Josh is a benign troll and someone is getting trolled. On this board he cant understand how a cleaning jag works on other boards he is an expert on everything. Somebodies laughin. But it aint me I never laugh.

:haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf: :haha: :rotf:

JMinnerath said:
Josh Smith said:
JMinnerath said:
:youcrazy: :bull:

Hmmm... you callin' me a liar?

I'm saying you're :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

Some of these BS ideas of yours are going to get you or someone else hurt.

OK, Mr. Minnerath, we are good then.

Most folks do not get me. I'll try to explain so that things about me are clearer. I do not like to talk about myself, but I think it's needed in this case.

When I was five, I started in martial arts. Nothing formal; kickboxing training by a friend's dad.

Also started making rudimentary weapons at the time. It was required because we had wannabe gangs in the new housing division in which we lived in Indianapolis. When I say "wannabe", I mean 10 year old white kids on bicycles.

Got good at throwing spears through their spokes.

Dad wasn't a shooter, and there was no place to shoot anyway. I made rubberband guns, starting with shooting it off my finger, then off a stick, and then progressing to ones with triggers made from clothespins, and ultimately, made a rudimentary lock from wood and applied it to a rubberband pistol at, I'd say, age seven or eight.

As there were not many hunting places in the city, I took to hunting honey bees. They were plentiful back then, and I'm sure I wiped out a hive or two.

Moved to Wabash when I was 10. Found some very springy wood growing in a woodlot in the apartment complex in which we lived for a time, while finding a house. I'm far from a master bow maker, but the stuff I came up with evolved to shoot 50 to 100 yards max, with an effective range of maybe 10 yards. Not far, but they worked and passed cardboard box penetration tests :thumbsup: Arrows were blunt for small game, or had heads on them made from tin cans (don't ask).

They weren't toys but my friends and I didn't know it. In fact, they would have been more powerful if I had known how to braid at the time for stronger bowstrings and how to properly carve the stave for the bowstring. As it was, I just split the end, put the twine through, and tied a knot.

My parents found a house in the country - an old farm, defunct. Dad didn't mind me having a BB gun or .22 or anything, but Mom did - and Mom overruled Dad. For the next few years, I studied primitive weapons, always trying to find something better. Ended up making atlatls, boomerangs, and my pride and joy was a sling I made. I took game with it - rabbit and squirrel - in a woodlot belonging to a neighbor a ways down the road. He was a farmer, so I also smacked a few woodchucks with it.

I was in Karate-do at the time, so I made my own nunchaku. I could do all sorts of tricks with them and use them for defense, but they were not any sort of hunting weapon.

Got a BB gun, then a .22, and mostly forgot about my experiments prior to this. Entered into private martial arts study, learned Aikido, some Kung fu, and some Escrima - which meant sticks. I pretty much gave up the nunchaku in favor of sticks and a sword.

I started experimenting again when I got my first 1911, then when I started reloading. I was able to build guns to my specs for the first time - no more heavy triggers, and if I wanted a set trigger, I made it. Reloading gave me a chance to work things up for myself.

Then I got the bug to experiment some more. Started handloading the .22LR. Eventually had a case head failure at around 2000fps with a 40gn bullet (eek), blew apart the junk mag I'd been using to feed, and backed off, wiser, and more cautious. But if I get the bug again, I know how to optimize a .22 load to my barrel length so nothing's wasted. As well, the rifle I chose vented perfectly - I was not hurt, and this is one reason I chose the brand of rifle I did. Looked it over, found it to be OK. I was wearing ears and eyes and I was OK, as well.

Put that stuff up. Got into muzzleloaders.

The .22 experience is keeping me cautious, and to be honest, I have no desire to push a muzzleloader's velocities. If I did, I'd blow up a cheap inline before a pretty sidelock.

Recently, I found a name for what I'd been doing for most of my life: Experimental archeaology. I love how things were developed, and if I can safely reproduce them, I will. Right now, making black powder from the old recipes is out of the question - I do not have the equipment. However, I do know an old chemist with proper licensure who will help me out when I feel ready - IF I feel ready. Regardless, it won't be discussed here.

That's where I'm coming from. I have to know how things work. If BP and Pyrodex are able to be mixed, I want to know why, and would research it. Since they're not, I want to know why, and will research that as well.

It's been hinted that I'm a troll. Nope. I just believe that there are things worse than death - like ignorance. I would give up my right trigger finger if it meant I learned something of very awesome value from whatever event took it. And I do have a steep learning curve. I've never really been out of college. I just keep drinking it in.

Now, really, no more talk about myself. I feel like it's a conceited, prideful thing to do. I realize I'm different, and I needed to clarify, get that stuff out of the way to make my position clear. The whole article here talking about myself is way outside my comfort zone, so we'll leave it at that.

Hopefully it's cleared up some stuff though.

Thanks,

Josh

alabamaboy said:
not different just dangerous :youcrazy:

You're right. Free thought is considered dangerous these days. I forgot.

And here I was under the illusion that an armed society is a polite society. Keyboard commandos... didn't expect to find 'em here. :shake:

Just J,

I can see what you're typing. Tried putting you on ignore, but either I did something wrong or it just didn't take, so I was just ignoring you.

Nice to know what folks will say behind your back.

If you really knew me, you would know I hate the term "expert" and that I studied under a (now deceased) master gunsmith (he hated that word, "master"), specializing in 1911 pistols but good in most other aspects as well. I learned a lot. There are still folks who know more than I do about smokeless - I can name a dozen off the top of my head - but black powder is totally different and we have nothing like the black powder cleaning jag in smokeless - and regardless, I understood how it worked, just didn't trust it, just like I know how an airplane wing works, but don't trust the airplane to stay up :rotf:

I'm as new to black powder as I was to smokeless when I got my first .22, and have at least as many questions.

I think, if time and finances allow, I'll try to show up at the Rendezvous in Friendship and get some first hand knowledge. I'll go south here and discuss that with the folks who do this type of thing regularly.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Josh

JMinnerath said:
You certainly don't expect people to read your life history novels?
:yakyak:

Hey, your choice. Thought I'd explain a few things. Clarify why I ask things I do.

Regardless, you've solidified my opinion that you're doing nothing but trying to mark your territory. If that's what you want to do, so be it.

Can't please everyone, nor will I try. I'll be listening to the other folks here. I would ask that you be polite and stay out of my threads if you have nothing to contribute to the question, from here on out.

Thanks for the bit of help you provided in the beginning.

Josh

Ya, and it's just as easy to ignore them too Josh.
I know it's sometimes tuff, but when it comes to computer generated exchange, it's best to just develop a thick skin. :idunno:

Hi Necchi,

I agree.

Also got the ignore thing figured out. Most boards you put someone on ignore and they don't show up.

Found a "transparent glass," "wooden box," and "lead crate" or something along those lines.

Seems I had Just J on ignore, but the transparent glass setting didn't make it apparent.

I'm hoping the lead box will! :idunno:

Whichever, I'd like to move on to more productive stuff.

I'm sorry to the board for the disruption.

Josh

There is a big difference between" Free Thought", and just being DANGEROUS. Whenever you are dealing with dangerous instruments, SAFETY MUST ALWAYS COME FIRST.

There is no exception, and no valid argument against this proposition.

Within those boundaries, FREE THINKING IS NOT DANGEROUS. I don't think anyone on this forum is opposed to new ideas, from YOU, or anyone.

But, for God's Sakes, man, Use a bit of thought BEFORE YOU WRITE these things. There are lots of casual "visitors " to this site, who may read your post, and conclude that what you propose is SAFE for them to do.

Don't even try to cloak yourself in the mantel of martyrdom because we jump on you for making these kinds of proposals. Th4e ideas you espouse are simply, and patently, UNSAFE.

I have known guys like you since I was a little kid, and usually, some big guy knocked the snot out of him in grade school, managing to convince him to quit asking such stupid, and dangerous questions.

The way you talk on this forum, I don't want to be within a mile of you when you are handling ANY GUN. You might be the bright, young, nice guy you purport to be. But, after reading this, and other posts, I think I will let others prove that for me, and avoid your company around guns and explosives.

I have dealt with irresponsible people on ranges in the past, and the lesson I learned was: " don't go looking for trouble. It will find you all on its own, soon enough".

Think about that.

Josh,

I do have a bit of a problem with you, and maybe you can clear it up.

Any gunsmith would have a very high degree of mechanical ability. I have it naturally. I was a dealer auto mechanic at 17 years old. It was natural to me. A gunsmith would be the same.

It took me a nano second to figure out a jag. Even after it was explained over and over to you. You couldn't see how it worked. That's just one small example, but it made me question you ever being a gunsmith.

You've also asked questions that just plain common sense would answer. You really shock me with some of your questions.

I'm sure others feel the same way, and that's the problem you're having. Settle down and stop proving who you are. We'll figure out who you are on our own. Relax, have fun, and enjoy the muzzleloaders you have now. Be honest with us and yourself.

One last comment. Don't put anybody on ignore. That's what the weak of mind do. Face your problems head on. Be yourself and if someone doesn't like it. So be it.

I do have to agree with the two above, some of your questions are a bit on the egdge for common sence. And your responses to those questions aren't just "fly in the face" as you say, it's plain stubornly ignoring the facts and attempting to scque fact into another reality. It's frustrating for those that try to help or answer to have or see those results.
After awhile they don't even want to help anymore.

This stuff isn't rocket science, it's been around for century's. Everything that has to do with "Traditional" BP gun's has been done, the wheel has been cast and is turning.
Trying to re-invent the wheel has been attepmted already, and many times someone has got hurt trying doing so.
Good luck.
(an stop starting threads with, Hello!!)

necchi said:
I do have to agree with the two above, some of your questions are a bit on the egdge for common sence. And your responses to those questions aren't just "fly in the face" as you say, it's plain stubornly ignoring the facts and attempting to scque fact into another reality. It's frustrating for those that try to help or answer to have or see those results.
After awhile they don't even want to help anymore.

This stuff isn't rocket science, it's been around for century's. Everything that has to do with "Traditional" BP gun's has been done, the wheel has been cast and is turning.
Trying to re-invent the wheel has been attepmted already, and many times someone has got hurt trying doing so.
Good luck.
(an stop starting threads with, Hello!!)

Gents,

Most of the time I know the answer and would like it confirmed.

The jag thing that Cap' speaks of is only one example. I could see how I thought it would work, and only wanted it confirmed.

The reason for this was that with only friction holding a patch onto the jag, I just didn't think a man alone in the mountains would risk something like rendering his rifle unable to fire. I figured it had to be attached somehow.

In other words, I over thought it. If you go back and read most of what I've posted when I couldn't figure stuff out, it's fairly obvious that I over thought most of it.

I just don't write "well, this is how I thought it is done, but in thinking about it, maybe it's done this way". Instead, I just ask straight out how it's done.

Maybe I should.

The one time I went ahead and did something that seemed safe but I wasn't sure if it was, was the first time I dryballed.

I didn't have a ball puller and didn't know where to get one during that time. I unscrewed the drum bolster's cleaning screw, fired up the compressor, and meant to blow it out - only to find my blow nozzle attachment for the compressor had disappeared.

So I trickled some powder into the drum bolster, put the screw in, and set it off.

I figured that if I posted that here, I'd get raked over the coals. But it seemed very logical to me, so I did it.

Come to find out later that's an acceptable method. :idunno:

With this subject here - about mixing the Pyro with BP - I was 99.9% sure it was not a good idea. However, I read about the "duplex" loads (ie, a BP 5gn starter under a main charge of Pyro) and figured that if there was a 0.1% chance that this was somehow safe, then I wanted to know as I do not want to waste $40 in PDex. I just won't shoot it otherwise. I'll have to find someone to take it, or keep it for stump blowing or something. Fertilizer, maybe. We'll see.

Same with lowering the ignition temp of the stuff with the addition of sulfur. The only stupid question is the one not asked, and just because I ask if anyone's done it does not mean I plan to try it. A lot of what I ask is only for educational purposes only.

I don't mean for anyone to go and try this stuff. It's for my own knowledge.

This afternoon I laid down for a bit. While I laying there petting my dog, I was going through, step by step, how I am going to build a good, wooden ramrod for my New Englander. I'll be stealing a bit from the virtually indestructible ramrod, but I think it's a good design. Just had to figure out how to do it with the tools I have.

But really, all it is, is I identify, think I see the solution, over think, then ask.

:idunno: I'll just do the stuff from now on, stop over thinking, and stop with the out-of-the-box questions. The only thing that really had me puzzled was the patch thing, and with two muzzleloaders now perfectly happy with the .018" pillow ticking, I'm just calling the original problem as being due to a tight bore. :idunno:

Josh

P.S. Can't promise the occasional "hello" won't slip in. J.S.

Boooooo! Gotta listen to all the whining and crying on other forums about bullets and when it comes to something as simple as powder, i come here to listen to it.

Has cabin fever already set in? :idunno:

Back