• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

new smoothbore opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnguy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have always shot a rifle and recently tried a smoothbore and have decided to order one. i already have a builder picked out and its down to 2 models. a fowler and the tulle that they offer. im going with TVM. i wont use it for reenactments, just for hunting and woods running. those of you who have shot both models, or each model, especially the tulle. whats your thoughts on them compared to one another? i have a jack garner virginia in 40 and it looks a lot like the butt profile of the TVM fowler.

This is not a question that someone else can answer for you! As you indicated, using the gun for hunting, the fit must be right. I've owned and used both styles extensively and have settled on the fowler only because it fit's me so much better for snap shooting and such. I never really got comfortable with the Tulle in the rabbit woods.

If your primary use of the smoothie will be to shoot standing game, like deer, or turkey, then consider a rifle style gunstock. If your primary use of the smoothie will be to shoot birds, and small game, where you have to move the gun as you would a shotgun, Then get a shotgun style gunstock. The Tulles are nice guns. The fowlers are also nice. You won't be disappointed with the workmanship of TVM( Matt).

If they made them in LH, I would probably be owning and shooting a Tulle. But they don't, or didn't. I have a LH fowler. Where I live and hunt, small game and birds are the primary hunting game. We have both whitetail deer hunting, as well as turkey hunting, but the seasons are limited in the days you can spend afield, compared to hunting various species of birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc.

If you are a rifle shooter, and Not trained to shoot a shotgun, then you need to get training to shoot a shotgun well. The footwork, stance, how you point the target, how you use the sight,
and slap the trigger are totally different than what you do shooting a rifle.

Its easier as a shooting coach, IMHO, to train an experienced shotgun shooter to shoot rifles, than it is to teach an experienced rifle shooter to shoot a shotgun well. :hmm:

Likewise, if you have only fired a percussion rifle, its going to be a bit of a challenge for you to get used to shooting a flintlock. There IS a learning curve, and having an experienced flintlock shooter on hand to help you learn is a valuable asset. :hmm:

No one can decide FOR you which of these fine guns you should own. If I were RHed, I probably would own one of each! :haha:

I have one of their EA fowlers and it shoots really well with prb. I ordered mine with a rear sight and it's a lot like my rifles except lighter. Haven't tried it with shot but will get to that later.

Back