• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dovetail jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john wood

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Mornin all!!
I'm back with another question for you. I need to dove tail a barrel for a new sight. I've tried freehanding this before and it turned out kinda OK but not as good as I want. My question is does anyone sell a jig for this purpose??

Thanks much again!!.......capgun

I think TOW sells one. At least I think that's where I got mine. To tell you the truth, I didn't like using the one I got. I just free-hand it now.

Cains in the links, here, has one. Its on page 3 of the gun smithing tools. Looks good. Dilly

I got mine from Mountain State Muzzleloading back before they became Cains, don't care for it much. I went back to freehand.

I've done a few dozen and free hand is easier. Some times it is the tools used. Did you grind the "teeth" off one face of the triangle file?Once you get your depth, the smooth side (facing the bottom)helps you cut the angle without increasing the depth.

I looked at the dovetail jig & decided long ago to free hand them. I even made one long time ago, but more trouble than worth, for me. It is just so easy & all ya have to do it what what you are doing & take your time. You will quickly learn to cut it small & file to size, after you cut & file a few too large & then have to make a new underlug or buy a sight with a larger base because of it & now you are waiting on that part & it is holding you up........

Keith Lisle

I got mine from Cain's. I really like it. I shim it up for shallow dovetails and just move it along the barrel for long dovetails. For me the job goes faster with the jig. I don't have to watch so carefully to make sure I'm not dishing the bottom. Once the dove tail is close I then hand finish without it using blunted files for the corners.

I'll probably use it until I can afford a bridgeport jig. :grin:

If you have a fairly new machinist vice that isn't too worn, you can hold the barrel so that the top flat is sticking up above the top of the jaws to the depth of the dovetail. You can then use the top of the jaws as a guide so that you don't go too deep or dish out the bottom of the dovetail. I suppose you could also make a pair of jaws from hardened angle iron if the top of your vice is worn like mine.

What Mike said ... got mine from Cain's & it's served well ... i shim it up for cutting shallower dovetails in thinner parts (like the middle of a swamped barrel).

Good luck with your build!

Yup, I did use a file with a "safe" edge. I suppose I should cut a couple more dovetails before I throw in the towel. I thank you all for your responses!! I'm off to buy a piece of steel to practice on.

.......capgun

One lil tip on those underlugs. You will see they have a very fine/sharp edge on the beveled edge ? File that very edge off just barely & then slightly round the edge from the bottom just a tad. Even with a safe file you cannot file a slot that sharp to fit that sharp beveled edge (if these are milled underlugs), so the underlug will catch there & resist it going in, where if it was rounded of slightly, it will go in much easier & have a better fit.

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

:thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

Boy, Keith, your bench is as messy as mine! My wife can't see how I can find anything, but to tell the truth, it's when I put things "away" that I can't find them.
Thanks for the tips! :bow:

Well, my wife was bitchin about it one day.. So I built 2 more benches & piled them full of stuff & suggested the next one goes in the dining room, as I am out of space... :shocked2: :idunno: She quit griping about the basement benches. :grin: :rotf:

I clean it off after each build, but it is generally in a state of disaster. :redface:

Keith Lisle

Back