• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double set trigger vs regular trigger??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolk shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hi there folks,
just wondered how much differance to accurecy would having a double set make over a reguler trigger??

many thanks

I think that for bench/target work a set trigger is a plus, I have never cared for one when hunting, cold fingers/bad weather and excitement can work against you with lightly set triggers IMHO

Double set triggers are great for slow fire paper punching, offhand or from a rest. Many people hunt with set triggers, I once kilt a tree with set triggers many moons ago! I like simpler mechanisms! But that's just me!
:v

When you get a quality lock I have found that you can tune it to whatever release you want. You control the creep or the over travel or how many pounds the trigger falls at. This has always worked for me I have both types of triggers. In a hunting situation you might only have time to pull the trigger. I have never felt disadvantaged on my gun with out a set trigger. The gun with the set trigger I try to use the set function but it might not always happen. I think tuning is more important

All but one of my rifles have double lever set triggers so when hunting I can forget about setting the back trigger and shoot with the front just as if it were a single trigger.

Set triggers are a big help for any kind of serious target work and for working up loads.

I prefer a single unset when hunting because it accomidates a gloved or mittened finger better.

The simplicity is pretty nice also. Pull the cock back and pull the trigger. I need minimal room for error.

Have to give the target edge to a set trigger, but not by much if you have a well done regular trigger.

Ditto.
Set triggers are nice for the range. But, the loooooong creep of the standard trigger is a PITA when hunting, and using the set trigger (click!) will get a whitetail's ears on high alert quicker than than you can spit.
There are ways around this, but you need to practice it before opening morning. :hmm:

CaptainKirk said:
Ditto.
Set triggers are nice for the range. But, the loooooong creep of the standard trigger is a PITA when hunting, and using the set trigger (click!) will get a whitetail's ears on high alert quicker than than you can spit.
There are ways around this, but you need to practice it before opening morning. :hmm:

do tell more CK??

I have a TC Hawken.45 with set trigger.This was my 1st year doing any serious ML hunting,though I've played with MLs a bit in the past.I figured out how to cock it silently....but that set trigger "click" drives me crazy hunting deer!If I don't use the set trigger,I find the main trigger to be very heavy and my accuracy suffers.Is there a way to release the set trigger silently?

norfolk shooter said:
hi there folks,
just wondered how much differance to accurecy would having a double set make over a reguler trigger??

many thanks

This is something you need to determine for yourself, really nobody can tell you.
A good single trigger can be shot very well and I have done some good shooting with them.
But offhand a set trigger seems to work better for me unless I can get the plain trigger very light. I once had a Sharps match rifle with an 8 ounce trigger and it worked almost as well as a set off hand and shooting from cross sticks prone the extra pressure seemed to make for steadier shooting.

The set trigger's advantage allows the trigger to be broken by the shooter when he wants with no squeeze time and note moving of the rifle when the trigger breaks.

The Schuetzen rifles invariably have set triggers sometimes very complex ones, multi-lever to further reduce the firing pressure, often with very thin firing triggers with a vertical bar to rest the trigger finger on. So some folks really liked them for offhand and gunsmiths went to great lengths to get the lightest possible trigger. Some would fire if the trigger were set and the rifle then turned muzzle up.
Set triggers need not be so noisy as to spook game.
But many today are so sloppily made/poorly designed that they require a heavy firing trigger spring to remain set and this can cause a loud "click" when set.
If you are used to set triggers and have good ones they are fine for hunting.
But a good single trigger does have advantages for hunting.

Dan

grzrob said:
Double set triggers are great for slow fire paper punching, offhand or from a rest. Many people hunt with set triggers, I once kilt a tree with set triggers many moons ago! I like simpler mechanisms! But that's just me!
:v
Just wondering what recipe you used for the tree. :rotf:

norfolk shooter said:
hi there folks,

many thanks

Actually there is no difference in accuracy between the two. Accuracy comes from the shooter.

The only difference comes from how much time you have to hold the rifle on target while you set it off. With a set trigger the rifle will go off the moment you are on target and ready. With a plain trigger you have to squeeze while holding it on target. That means you have to hold it on target while you complete your squeeze. Needless to say, if you can use a plain trigger effectively, a set trigger is a piece of cake.

When I used to hunt I preferred a straight trigger for all the reasons the others have given. For competition I prefer a set but have used straight triggers effectively at times.

I agree with Dan. Properly tuned set triggers do not have to be so noisy as to alert a deer. I only use the main trigger when there is no time to set it. I have never had a deer hear me set my trigger. My locks are tuned for about a 2lb or lighter release on my main trigger, and just a few ounces when set.

Mike2005 said:
norfolk shooter said:
hi there folks,

many thanks

Actually there is no difference in accuracy between the two. Accuracy comes from the shooter.

The only difference comes from how much time you have to hold the rifle on target while you set it off. With a set trigger the rifle will go off the moment you are on target and ready. With a plain trigger you have to squeeze while holding it on target. That means you have to hold it on target while you complete your squeeze. Needless to say, if you can use a plain trigger effectively, a set trigger is a piece of cake.

When I used to hunt I preferred a straight trigger for all the reasons the others have given. For competition I prefer a set but have used straight triggers effectively at times.

Doesn't make sense to me. For a hunting gun a nice crisp 3 lb trigger is perfect. Make it lighter or heavier to you liking. I think too light will get you in trouble in hunting situations.

For target competitions you can have it as light as you like. Want a 1/2 lb trigger? Set it up that way. Really good triggers are adjustable.

I think ML use double triggers because they aren't really good triggers, and having a set trigger is an easy way to get a light trigger.

I like them. Wish all my guns had them. I can hunt with them as when I am going to shot I have a light glove on.I have a few single trigger guns that are not bad. All depends on how the gun is made. Dilly

I like to tune the lock so that the unset trigger is pretty decent, say for a hunting situation. I then tune the set trigger to be light, very light, and have the best of both worlds. If I have to shoot with the unset trigger it's a very pleasant pull indeed, but if I want to shoot targets, I simply set the trigger and go for it.

The truth is, a single trigger can be set up pretty darn light and decent, so it all gets back to what you like. Personally, I don't need a hair trigger to shoot a deer, but to shoot silhouettes at the range, it's sure nice. That's why mine are all double set.

The only thing I do not like, is the set triggers that make you set them before cocking the hammer. I can never remember to do it in the correct sequence, and am always fumbling with them, because they are so unnatural to me.

I doubt it. You get an adjustment with double triggers. I doubt you'll get one with any single ML trigger.

After shooting CF guns most of my life. I'm amazed at how bad ML triggers are. I'm not talking about match guns, or some of the after market triggers, but the production guns.

Latest posts

Back