• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Am I Wanting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Smith

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been thinking about what I'd like in my next rifle.

I was at the gunstore today when a T/C came in for trade. It was an old sidelock, but it was short and still had a plastic stock. It was all camo. But it felt solid. I like that feel. I didn't grab it because it wasn't wood, though I still may go back if it's under $100. I'm sure it's worth quite a bit more than what folks think (everyone around here are crazy for inlines, though a couple people did come in looking for real black powder, I found where to get some locally!) The thing that really got me was that it had very shallow rifling. Looks very easy to load and clean.

Anyway, though I like the short Hawken style, I do find it a bit awkward to load, being that short. I'm 6'2".

First, I'd like a full wood stock. I'd like it to be .50 caliber, and about 5' long from butt to muzzle because that would simplify loading. Don't want stainless, but standard steel in the white or painted would be just fine as I would just brown it.

Don't need a fancy stock.

One thing I would like is a left-handed lock. If I shoot too much, my right arm is bleeding a bit from cap fragments. Now, I don't care and consider it a badge of honor; in fact, I'm debating rubbing some gunpowder into it next time. Been thinking about a tattoo, but haven't found anything that says me yet. That would :thumbsup:

So, 5' or so from butt to muzzle, .50 caliber, left hand caplock, shallow rifling, preferably 1:60 or 1:70 as it won't see conicals.

Full wood stock.

Oh, and I do NOT want a patent breech. Just something standard, please.

I expect to start work next week or the week after.

Thanks folks,

Josh

Hi Josh,
It looks as though you are looking for a semi- coustom to custom rifle, especially left handed.
And to keep it under a thousand, you will be regulated to the used ads ( not that there is anything wrong with this choice)
Best regards
Old Ford

Up until you said no patent breech, my mind was saying Lyman GPR. It's not fullstock, but I don't miss it. They meet all your other criteria. The patent breech is no prob for me, and I've got lots of years on GPR's. Lotta gun for the money.

Shallow rifling will be for fast twist conical bullets. A slow twist for PRB will be deeper to grab the patch.

All inlines like you saw will have shallow rifling.

A friend of mine has that Camo Carbine. It came to him PRE-LOADED! It's has a fast-twist barrel that's designed for Maxi's like the 370 grainers that I shoot out of my Trade Rifle. A good tree stand gun with synthetic stock, for those that don't want an In!@#^.

Dave

What in the world are you doing that your arm is bleeding from cap fragments?
Is the hammer on that rifle blowing back off the nipple when it's fired?

You certainly won't find what you want in a mass produced gun, it's going to be custom, new or used.

I would go with a kentucky style soudns like it would fit the bill. or a shanondough. but honestly your looking 3-4 franklens for it... or you could get a cabelas blue ridge rifle. they run close to 650 last I looked and there a shooter I love mine.

JMinnerath said:

That's actually real common for me with a drum bolster on a RH rifle when I'm shooting LH. A flash guard fixes it, if you don't mind the looks. Not a problem with a LH lock.

The Pedersoli rifles have a "patent breech" of sorts, actually a real skinny little thing that's a royal PITA to really clean and dry. The Lyman breech is about 35 caliber and straight, so it's lots easier to clean and dry. Actually, if you plunge the barrel, it will clean itself along with the barrel. I always wrap a cleaning patch around a 35 cal brush and swab it after plunge-cleaning the barrel, and I'm yet to come out with any fouling on the patch.

Wants a 60 inch long gun. say, 14 inch LOP and barrel length. 60 minus 14 leaves 46.
46 inches of parrel is a lot of gun sticking out there!

I'm thinking a 36 inch barrel would be the ticket for this, albeit a tad heavy!

He wants a 60" gun for ease of loading. Not a good reason. I'm 6'2" and have no problem with 28" barrels.

Put the butt on a log Josh.

I'd hit every tree in the woods with a 5' gun.

Hello Pete, All,

Looks like I'm going to save up and do more research before investing in this.

Meantime, I threw up an SKS on the Indiana Gun Owners' board for trade for a traditional styled rifle - and I've got a trade offer on a T/C New Englander, wood, etc, no drum bolster to make my arm bleed - looks like it's shielded well.

I do like the short arms. I like the long arms for ease of loading and for the precision of a long sight radius - I always try to go for the longest sight radius I can on any rifle I have. Handguns too, for that matter.

Thanks again!

Josh

JMinnerath said:

Hello,

As was stated by another lefty, this is what happens with drum bolsters it would seem. Been trying out different types and I really like the T/C. It does not let cap fragments hit my arm.

I use CCI Magnum caps. Going to standard #11 caps reduces this a lot. It was the worst when I first bought the rifle - the nipple had rusted shut and I didn't realize it. The caps were just blowing themselves up and peppering my arm before I figured out what was going on.

Better yet, I found where to buy black powder (real black) locally, so I do believe I'm just going to switch to that and hope the guy stays in business!

We will see.

Thanks!

Josh

Hey Josh.
I've got a southpaw .54 New Englander with the accursed QLA (counterbored muzzle). I've reworked it some and relieved some of the design problem but it's still goofy. I'm not done with it yet. Haven't given up. Grr-r-r-r.

Said all that to say this...
If the NE you're looking at has the QLA you are liable to make it 2" shorter, which is a real shame for a rifle that needs to be 6" longer.

Latest posts

Back