• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

3F-2F difference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-30 grains of FFFg powder is the normal range of charges used in a .32 cal. rifle. YOU DON'T need much more than that, because the weight of the ball is so LIGHT that it simply cannot be expected to shoot well in any kind of breeze. On a dead calm day, however, a .32 can do amazing things out at 100 yards. And, in the hands of an old target shooter, who really knows how to READ the wind currents, small groups at 100 yds with that caliber are also very possible, even on a windy day.

My brother watched Phil Quaglino shoot all "10s" on a 100 yd. target this past Spring, on a windy day, shooting a new, .28 caliber rifle he built from scratch! He chose to fire the gun when the trees growing out of the backstop behind his target were moving a certain amount.

George said:
BrownBear said:
If I'm using the same measure to develop a load and thereafter to load and shoot the same gun, the scale on the thing means diddly.
Under ordinary circumstances I'd agree 100% with that, and it's the way I usually do it. There are some situations, though, where it might make a difference.

I shoot a couple of original, light weight SxS with damascus barrels, and I limit my loads pretty severely in them. I always thought I was loading 50 grains, but turns out I was loading 63.

I once worked up a heavy load for a double .54 rifle with a manufacturer's recommendation of 130 grains of FFg. I always shoot FFFg in my .54s so I worked up to 110 grains, the equivalent load to 130 grains FFg. I was actually shooting 134.7 grains of FFFg, a charge I would have never done on purpose.

Such a discrepancy between what a measure indicates and what it actually drops could be an unsafe thing.

Spence

Are you using BP? Most BP will weigh UNDER its volume charge. I have never seen a BP volume measure used with BP that would produce charges 14 grains heavy.

For BLACKPOWDER.
I own a powder scale several in fact. By checking an adjustable measure with a scale, if it throws 65 grains when set to 70 and 110 with set to 115 I know its off by that amount and make allowances.

HOWEVER. If the powder being used changes from lot to lot it may be off 7 or 3 grains if a container from another lot is used.

Swiss is very close to the older premium powders and has a similar density so it will be closer to most calibrated adjustable measures. It is also more consistent.

If you set a measure to 70 to get a given charge weight and then change brands of powder you will then change the WEIGHT of the charge up or down in most cases. 70 grains weight of synthetic powder will be far more by volume.
So if you are concerned with BLACKPOWDER charge weights WEIGH a charge then make a measure or adjust the volume measure to HOLD THAT AMOUNT. Checking it 2-3 times. But DO NOT use weight with the synthetics. They must be done by volume. If you weigh 90 grains for Pyrodex to get a "90 grain charge" you will be shooting far too much powder. They must be measured by volume.

Dan

Ok, I've followed this entire debate. So why not weigh every different charge and make a measure for it? Why measure by volume? It just seems to confuse things. I'm doing the open palm thing and am quite happy with the results.
I just have to remember to not lick my palm. :haha:

Why all the confusion over something simple? I guess I dont get it I guess. The main thing is use the best AMOUNT of powder for your rifle and chosen distance/quarry then use that each shot and dont worry about if it weighs slightly more or less than the calibrations on whatever volume device you use

it dont matter if you use a pile in your palm ounces grams drams grains etc long as its the same each time (I really doubt the palm method is very consistent though)

I could scratch all the arabic numerals off the side of my adjustable measure, replace them with Roman numerals and guess what the rifle would not know no difference you can engrave the number 80 on your 70 grain measure its still gonna hold the same amount

who cares if a 70gr volume measure is actually throwing 67.013gr by weight of a certain density of powder which you have no control over, hey, why not call it milligrams? do you switch brands or granulations of BP from shot to shot and back and forth? :youcrazy:

if that amount of powder works out to be the right charge in your particular weapon and intended application call it whatever you want :shake:

We don't weigh every charge for a couple of reasons:

1. BP is fairly forgiving, plus or minus 5 grains for field shooting;

2. Its next to impossible to carry a powder scale and use it while hunting! I don't even want to think about the hassle of using a scale in the wind, or in the rain.

Yeah, I know, you can measure out charges before you go into the field, then put them in separate containers, and carry those containers into the field. BTDT.- Fine when only shooting ONE deer. Not so fine when Running the "Seneca", or doing some of the longer "Hunter's" or " Survival" Walk shooting programs.

Setting an adjustable volume measure, or making a fixed volume powder measure to throw the right "weight" powder charge is:

3. a lot simpler, and involves carrying a lot less gear.

4. AND ITS TRADITIONAL. :bow: :grin:

Maybe the palm method is not consistent, but as Paul said, bp is very forgiving. If i'm off by .5 grs., who cares? The rabbits grouse and yotes don't care. And my rifle still is accurate. I haven't gone to the range and tested it, but I can hit what I'm aiming at.
And that was my point. If bp is so forgiving, then why does it matter? If I was still hand loading my 250-3000 Ackley imp., it would matter.
Anybody want to but a neat rifle? :haha:

Dan Phariss said:
Are you using BP? ..... I have never seen a BP volume measure used with BP that would produce charges 14 grains heavy.
Yes, I use only BP.

Well, I have, but it weighed 24 grains heavy, not 14. I don't use that measure anymore. I have others which are more accurate.

Spence

Interesting find.

"Historic note about the granulation of black powder:
If you read original documentation you will find reference to using 2fg powder. (The #FG or FFG or FFFG refers to how fine the powder is ground. The more "F's" the finer the powder.) At the turn of the century - 1900 - the standards for measuring the granulation of powder changed.
That which they called 2fg is now equivilant to what we now call FFFg."
In short... today... Fg is primarily used for cannons, FFg is cannon primer grade, FFFg is musket and revolver powder."

Back