• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single or Double action Starr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missionary5155

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning
If you were going to purchase a Starr revolver would you be inclined to get a single action or a double action ?
I have pondered this for some time. Which way would you go ?
Thanks

I don't own either one for several reasons. My understanding is that the double action was replaced by the war department during the civil war with the single action due to a lack of "reliability". If you take the time to dig through all posts in the net you will find that alot of people who purchased the double action one wished that they wouldn't have. Due to firing reliability, weak hammer springs, too complicated for operation of repair and cleaning. and I think these are the reason why the US Armym rejected them initially-- so all the problems in current ones are period correct for the gun. :grin:

I think both are pretty cool but I would lean more twoard the single action for the reliability issues already mentioned.

Don

I own a Pietta Starr SA. I have handled but not fired nor owned a Starr DA, so I can't speak to reported problems about that design. I can say that the Pietta Starr SA is the least favorite of my c&b revolvers. I find the design does not fit well with my personal parameters - balance, grip size & shape - and Pietta's execution of the design in this one example leaves much to be desired - good finish but poor parts fit.

I Had a double action...and it gave me no problems at all....I could empty it in 3 seconds..!
It just felt so awkward in the grip,,,,I never could git used to it...so I sold it.....
the Colts spoiled me.....

The DA Starr is considered a true Double-Action in that it cannot be operated well as an SA gun. It takes some getting used to. The SA Starr is probably a better gun, but at that price, why not get one of the Colt models which are all just as good as the Starr SA and less expensive.

One historical tidbit on the Single-action Starr, many of the US Gov't SAs went to the Veteran's Reserve Corps, aka "Invalid Corps" during the Civil War.

Kilborn, do you have the provenance to back that the VRC carried the Starr single action? The reason I am asking is because I do the VRC, and this may be the push I need to get a Starr single action.

Latest posts

Back