• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional whitetail hunt & accoutrements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to do a traditional/authentic 18th/19th century whitetail deer hunt in the upper midwest. Either with a percussion,or flinter.

Weather probably at 10F to 40F, some rain/snow likely. I've a cow's knees for my flinter

What say you on what to bring in your hunting pouch if you need a second PRB shot?

It seems bullet boards are questionable, certainly the plastic tubes holding powder and ball are out.

For flinters, many clear the priming powder with a whisk after being in the pan for a few hours, or when the flinter is being hauled up via a rope to a tree stand.

Small horns, about 6" at the bottom curve are around but I don't know if they are authentic. Balls carried in the bottom of the pouch seem authentic. Patches ... well maybe for a 2nd shot at close range you didn't!

I gotta think the 1800's folks could get off a 2nd shot pretty fast if needed... I wonder how?

For hunting with the smoothbore I use paper cartridges just like the british troops used in the French and Indian war and before as well as after. For the rifle I use a "ball board necklass". With a paper powder cartridge.I have played around with paper catridges for the rifle with patched round ball but have not had good results.

I do it the real way, but it's hardly fast.

Make the 1st shot count, and you don't worry about 2nd shots.

Or get a Marlin 30-30. :)

Capper said:
I do it the real way, but it's hardly fast.

Make the 1st shot count, and you don't worry about 2nd shots.

Or get a Marlin 30-30. :)

if you do it right there is no second shot .

Roundball summed it up good first shot was on then take your time reload and let the first shot do the deal by the time your swabed and reloaded have a coffee and get your deer .man he's good at that.LOL

I got a good test of "fast" earlier this week. Took a shot at a buck walking broadside at about 70 yards. Elbows on knees, the rifle tracking smoothly--- easy, right? Ha! The booger turned just as the hammer dropped and the shot landed right in front of him.

He stopped and looked at the spot. Scratched his ear and returned to his original course and ambled on out of sight 10-15 seconds later. About the time I was ramming the ball home.

Imagine elbows flying and soft cussing. He never seemed to notice me, but no matter. I wasn't "fast enough" doing it in less than 30 seconds.

My gettup was a single horn for main and prime, loose balls in the bottom of the back, strip patching lubed from a tin and cut at the muzzle. I have to use a short starter because I haven't got around to coning the barrel yet.

Compared to using a loading block, that rotation took about twice as long. Yeah, I'd probably have managed the second shot with a board.

But here's the real deal: That's the first time I've ever been offered a second shot. Only second time I've ever needed one.

If I'd been a better hunter and waited for the buck to stop, I wouldn't have needed another shot. I'm keeping things simple with this particular rifle and probably won't change a thing in my kit. But I am going to work on being a better hunter! :thumbsup:

It's easy to stop a deer. Especially a Muley.

I don't know how to write the sound, but i'm sure you know what I mean.

Never a reason to shoot at a moving deer. :idunno:

Let me introduce you to the Sitka blacktail.

I've hunted Coues whitetail, mulies (grew up among the two species on the ranch), Columbia blacktail and Sitka blacktails. Each species is a rule unto itself, as is their home terrain and the way they respond to sounds. Mulie rules work for mulies, but they don't translate well into other parts of the world or other species. Kinda like expecting all politicians to be honest just cuzz you met the one that was.

Sorry that happened to you. I've shot several deer on the run, one memorable one was on a mountain where my uncle owned the mine. I had followed his tracks from two peaks away, and when I bent down to pick up a drop, he busted up the hill. Got him with the second shot as he bounced up the hill. Destroyed his heart with a .257 Roberts.

Back