• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to dull shiny brass?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123.DieselBenz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an 20+ year old C&B that has a brass frame, when I first bought I would always shine it, but now I like the look, of it dull.

I just sent the money on a T/C Seneca, I have not received it yet, but the seller sent me a bunch of pictures . . . the brass is pretty polished . . . is there a way to quickly dull it up . . .?
Seneca1.jpg

More dulled up like this:
Rem44006.jpg

Honestly, that fastest way to tarnish brass is:
1) Handle it. Get your skin oils on it and don't wipe it off
2) Allow exposure to open air

I have reloading brass that I've cleaned, tumbled, polished and bagged years ago that look brand new. Conversely, I have uncleaned brass, recently fired, exposed to open air, that is more tarnished than your Remmy.

place in a container with vinegar, not in the vinegar but suspended over it

the vapors will turn it a nice dull honey brown but ya gotta get all the urine, skin oil and BP residue mentioned above off it for this to work right

Ive tried the commercial stuff, it just scratches off and looks bad

or, just stop cleaning it :wink:

I've used bleach in the past.

Just be real careful; it can eat it pretty quickly. I mean, sit there and watch it.

Josh

Just let it age naturally. Don't polish it. it will turn. trying to age things ? some times it works some time it don't. my 02

No one has said it, but the first thing you want to do is make sure someone hasn't sprayed clear lacquer or another coating on the brass first to keep it shiney!.....Might have to soak it in lacquer or paint thinner first and hand buff it with #0000 steel wool!

Rick

Latest posts

Back