• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New .62cal Virginia Meets & Greets 10 Pointer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
In the ladder stand on the little flat oak ridge before first light, then at 7:15am I hear something coming slowly from over my right shoulder”¦when I was finally able to see some antlers I decided he was a shooter and I was going to take him”¦sat still as he came along, nose down in the leaves on a Doe track.

He passed in front of the stand going up & away at a 45* angle showing me his left side quartering away, head still down”¦and that put his neck vertebrae on a line with his rearmost rib.
When he got out about 35 yards into an open shooting lane I lined up the sights just behind his left rearmost rib, imagining a line to the vertebrae, and touched the set trigger. The 325grn ball plowed through the diaphragm / lungs into the neck vertebrae killing him instantly”¦dropped in his tracks.

I was surprised to find that his hocks were clean, dry, light brown”¦apparently he had not been involved with any scraping or visiting scrapes, etc.
Anyhow, the new .62cal smoothbore Virginia has proven itself”¦.so between the .58cal last week, and the .62cal this week, 2 Does & 2 Bucks have been delivered to that needy family in the country.

A10121062cal10Pointer.jpg

B10121062cal10Pointer.jpg

C10121062cal10Pointer.jpg

D10121062cal10Pointer.jpg

BrownBear said:
Excellent!

Was that trajectory through flesh and bone enough to stop the ball, or is it still whistling along?

I didn't see an exit wound so I assume from the angle, and some odd bulkiness about the size of my fist under her neck where the windpipe runs, that I think was actually the wind pipe all wadded up...the ball probably ended up flattened out up in there due to him having his head down like it was.

Went through about two feet of hide/muscle tissue/cartilage/neck bone, etc...I just wasn't interested in getting all into opening it up...had been up since 4:30am, just wanted to drop it off at the lady's house, get home and clean the Settler, get a shower & breakfast :wink:

:)
Way to go roundball. That makes it worth getting up and out on those tired sleepy dark mornings. Thanks for the pics. K45

Kentucky45 said:
:)
That makes it worth getting up and out on those tired sleepy dark mornings.
Today is the last day of my 2 week vacation...have gotten up at 4:30am most of those days and I'm worn out...this didn't used to bother me during the previous 3-4 decades :hmm: :hmm:

I've gotten so lazy I don't hunt in the mornings,the way this seasons going I might start.

texcl said:
I've gotten so lazy I don't hunt in the mornings,the way this seasons going I might start.

You might use the URL below to be more selective in when you go...it's the second year in a row that I've proven to myself that this Field & Stream Solar/Lunar table works perfectly.

I literally went this morning based upon this chart...right on queue along came the 10 pointer...followed by 2-3 scattered gunshots off in the distance...then all went quiet again after 45-60 minutes.

The reverse has also been the case...sometimes I've gone, seen nothing, then when I get home I check the tables and sure enough, the activity was at it's lowest point during the time I had gone.

Just substitute your own ZIP=XXXXX in the URL.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/weather_hunt_times?ZIP=27613&IDS=general&graphbtn=Get+Graph

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, you are without a doubt one fine human being. And your rifle is really purty,too.
Nice shooting.
"Ain't nothin like carryin' a BEAUTIFUL long rifle into the woods".

Beautiful deer and beautiful rifle: it doesn't get any better than that! Congrats, Ron in FL

Back