• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pet peeve anyone else have this one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always ripped movie over any type of blunder! More so now that I are a gun nut. Oh wait a minute I've always been a gun nut!

Chuck Goodall
TMA Pres.

I always get amused that the guns never need reloading. Where can I get an 18 shot Colt anyway? :haha:
I also like the SAA pistol in the Civil War movies. :hmm:
If you watch old movies, Northwest Passage" I think is one (Spencer Tracy as Robert Rogers raiding the Indian village {?}). The Trapdoors were made to look like flintlocks. It was cheap and easy to use. If you look close though they are Springfield trapdoors.

Historical innaccuracy is normal. Remember teh movie "henny caulder"? THe gunsmith makes her a peacemaker out of iron scrap, but when the banditos appear at his house, she uses a Webley revolver.

But the worst inaccuracies occur when a charecter in theo ld pirate films uses a thrusting only rapier to hack and slash thru enemies and anchor cables with ease, and cannon balls have the ability to make STONE WALLS EXPLODE as in Cutthroat Island.

Actually I could only listen to the movie, but the pistols, and horses, "sounded" historicaly correct,.... plus, the movie also had the great all-time "american western hero" Steve Martin in it!! ::

YMHS
rollingb

RB,

There is no doubt about it; you are a legend! :master:

Jim.

:thumbsup: :blah:

Actually I could only listen to the movie, but the pistols, and horses, "sounded" historicaly correct,.... plus, the movie also had the great all-time "american western hero" Steve Martin in it!! ::

YMHS
rollingb

RB,

There is no doubt about it; you are a legend! :master:

Jim.

:thumbsup: :blah:

Thanks!! :crackup: BTW,... "Blazeing Saddles" was anuther movie thet sounded very historicaly correct!! :hmm: :imo:

YMHS
rollingb

Thanks!! :crackup: BTW,... "Blazeing Saddles" was anuther movie thet sounded very historicaly correct!! :hmm: :imo:

RB,

Are you by any chance referin to tha bean eatin scene? :hmm:

:crackup:

:blah:

Jim.
:thumbsup:

RB,

Are you by any chance referin to tha bean eatin scene? :hmm:

:crackup:

:blah:

Jim.
:thumbsup:

Yeah!! :thumbsup: :crackup:

....... and everbuddy says I "look and sound", jest like "Gabby Johnson" in thet movie!! :hmm: ::

YMHS
rollingb

It pioneered that particular alimentary element in the cinematic culture. Mel Brooks became known as "The Farter of his County."

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: you guys kill me!! :thumbsup: :redthumb:

Having grown up in a an area (North Hollywood/Studio City/Burbank, CA) with at the very least 3, or was it 5 Motion Picture/T.V. Production Studios.

Movies/T.V. Movies/T.V. Series are not too Historically Accurate as they are made with TWO GOALS in mind. Getting people to watch, and making money. Big box office hits are seen multi times by the same movie goers who keeps paying, and coming back to see the same movie over and over again.:peace:

The Movie/T.V. Movie/Series Production Business is a business that is in business to make money. If Historical Accuracy comes in to play it is only because money was spent on Technical Advisers. But the Technical Advisers give advice that many time is not taken by film makers because History like many things is boring. Or too costly to recreate. Plus we must not bore the paying audience.

I grew up on Disney, with Davy Crocket, Daniel Boone, and personally never own a Coon Skin Cap as we were to poor to afforded me that luxury item.

But because of the success of Davy Crocket, & Daniel Boone most every kid in America had a Coon Skin Cap, Coon Skin Tailed Cap, or Play Flintlock Rifle.

I personally watch movies, and television for entertainment, and not a history lesson. Or lessons in anything as most of what is on T.V. be it Cop Shows, Cowboy & Indians, or a War movies are not historically accurate, or consumed period correct or appropriate.

Jack Webb did some movies, and T.V. Series but even his Show Adam 12 (about the LAPD) was flawed, as most of it was shot in Burbank CA (Not in the City of L.A.), and Malloy, & Reed never spend hours on camera writing reports to justify what they did, or the time spent, after each major call when the captured or the bad guy, or. Just like REAL COP do. :winking:

I will say it again most Movies/T.V. Programs/T.V. Series are not too Historically Accurate as they are made with TWO GOALS in mind. Getting people to watch, and making money.

History Channel and PBS work hard to show History the way it really was. Not the way Hollywood makes it to be.

Like I said I watch movie for entertainment. When I want to study history it off to the local library.

I personally would love to travel back to the period of history when the French & Indian War was going on. I would like to be one of the Indians living in the Pennsylvania Ohio Region as see how it really was. That would be an interesting experience. Than I would like to return to the present and she how accurately the History Historians got it right or wrong............... :m2c:

Those &((*&^% Disney films had lines wrapped three times around the block in our local theater here. 100 degrees and the pavement melting and we were out there waiting to see Davy Crockett. Eveyrbody had a coonskin cap or, as my dad called it a "Kefoffer Cap." This was because of the senator from Tennessee, Estes Kefoffer. He was trying to build his legacy by convincing the public that comic books were corrupting the youts of the nation. He even dug up some material claiming that Batman and Robin were a couple of Homo Sexuals on a power trip.

Those &((*&^% Disney films had lines wrapped three times around the block in our local theater here. 100 degrees and the pavement melting and we were out there waiting to see Davy Crockett. Eveyrbody had a coonskin cap or, as my dad called it a "Kefoffer Cap." This was because of the senator from Tennessee, Estes Kefoffer. He was trying to build his legacy by convincing the public that comic books were corrupting the youts of the nation. He even dug up some material claiming that Batman and Robin were a couple of Homo Sexuals on a power trip.

Disney produced a QUALITY Product before Walt Died. I have kids I went to high School with that are Second Generation Disney Employees, their Kids now work for

You guys should all be grateful if you don't know bird calls, I can't remember a single movie where they had the right species singing in the right location/season.

And WHEN OH WHEN will vultures stop screaming in movies?? :shake: (recall when Jeremiah and the boy come across Del Que).

Birdwatcher

yeah, or when that havent shot a pump shotgun yet, but feel the need to jack a fresh shell into the chamber. What was wrong with the unfired shell that just flew out? Wasnt fresh enough?

One of my favorites for "oops-es" was "The Four Musketeers" (sequel to "Three Musketeers") with Oliver Reed and Michael York. In one scene Reed spans (winds) a wheellock pistol, then aims the gun with the spanning wrench still attached to the wheel. Had he fired it, I'm sure in the movie it would have been fine -- in real life it would have been much like a drill being fired up with the chuck key still on the chuck. In another scene, Faye Dunaway pulls a Deringer percussion pistol -- in the 1640's.

Ah well.

My new personal favorite is the new Zorro movie when the "evil preacher" type character who brags about his new Henry Repeating Rifle in 1850. Of course, the movie also has the Confederate Army existing 10 years too early as well. Oh well, it was entertaining.

One of the greatest threats ever; "I'll fill you so full of lead,they'll be able to use your d..k for a pencil." Steve Martin in "The Three Amigos."

Back