• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM southern mtn rifle range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majg1234

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After several weeks reading on the site,aquiring an unfired TVM rifle through GunBroker I was able to get to the range...boy was I impressed after starting @ 10yds to get on paper the PIX shows what the rifle did @ 60yrds.The load was 50gr FFFg an ox yoke 45cal wonder wad over the powder and a .010 pillow ticking patch lubricated with 1/2 beeswax and olive oil,The ball was hand cast by me with pure scrap lead and a lee mold.No filing was done on the site and no drift of either site,I did cut the notch in the rear site with a hacksaw per Matt Avance recomendations.Based on this target I'm reluctant to change anything!!! BTW I did shoot it @ 75yrds putting 3 shots into a 3" circle on a paper plate,shot group measured a little over 1" and about 2" low.Shot the rifle 25 times no cleaning or swabbing between shots and only one misfire )flint moved backward into the cock after the 1st 5 shots
101510_18581.jpg

Where'd the other 22 shots go? :hmm:

Just kidding. Nice group.

ENJOY!!

W

That's impressive for almost any rifle! Are you sure that was 60 yds? I think I can see powder burns on the paper... ;)

Thanks for that tip... was wondering about upping the powder for a little more range... will chronograph it later ...the food plots I plan to hunt are all less than 150yds long and depending on wind off times shots are less than 75 yrds season opens here in about 3 weeks

With the 100 yard zero check mid range trajectory - should only be about 2.5" to 3" high.
TC

I'll post some pix of the rifle tomorrow PM....this work stuff is killin me :shocked2: thanks for all the help from the site... been shoot'n BP for 30+ years but this is the most fun I've ever had.....don't think the Omega or Hawkens will get out this year :)

"ole smokey" the pix are from a cell phone as the wife has the camera on a trip,pix don't do her justice
102010_18271.jpg

Latest posts

Back