• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single Shot or Revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Gaimari

69 Cal.
Reaction score
This would be strictly for hunting small game. A single shot ML compared to any revolver. The revolver has an obvious advantage of 6 shots. I'm not sure what advantage the single shot has except holding a bigger charge and maybe more accurate, but i'm guessing at that, because I haven't shot one. The Walker and Dragoon hold good charges, but are clunkers to haul around.

So, if you were to pick a hunting pistol/revolver to hunt rabbits, squirrels, beaver etc. What would you use. Be specific on what model/caliber.

Thanks.

considering that the civil war revolvers are regulated to shoot to point of aim at 75 yards...they arent the best to hunt with.
I would go with a Crockett .32 pistol !
a .32 is pleant for small game and cheap to shoot.

I use my .62 smoothbore flintlock pistol, 12" bbl, loaded with an ounce of #6 shot for rabbits. They are usually running so I need that.

I think the best bet for small game would be the 36 Cal Remington 1858 Navy. The sights come plenty high so you can adjust them when you find your most accurate load. Easy to handle and easy to load and I believe Cabela's has them on sale now for right at $200. Personnaly I would go with the shorter barrel.

I have used my .44 Euroarms 1858 Remington to take several jack rabbits. It shoots dead center at 25 yards with 27 grains of FFFg Goex and a .454 ball. I've never tried the .36 caliber, but I bet they would do just as well.

I have a bunch of C&B in .36 and .44. Uberti's. I got hooked on them.

I don't know how to compare them to a single shot true muzzleloader. I like the challenge of only one shot.

Then again....if I run into a bear....6 shots are nice to have.

A single shot can be quite accurate. Take the time at the range to work up the most accurate load. I'd say a pistol in .45 cal or less would make a fine small game pistol.

Don

This here's my rabbit gun. Koala wouldn't hurt a rabbit unless she sat on it.

Hirsch9mm.jpg

Here's the gentleman that put it together.
chrishirsch.jpg

.35 barrel and single set trigger.

here's a photo of my first attempt with a cheap kit gun from Traditions. This was at 25 yards on the six bull rifle target. The group measures 2.3" center to center of the very first five shots out of the gun. I think it will improve with some load refinement but elk season took priority over shooting the pistol. I was shooting only 15 grains of 3f with a .440" ball and pillow ticking patch, spit lubed. I think .45 caliber is way more than needed for small game but it is accurate enough to head shoot bunnies out to 25 yards and at 30 ounces it is lighter than most revolvers. I have a couple of revolvers which group as well or better but the nice thing about a single shot is that one can easily adjust both front and rear sights for a perfect zero.
pioneerjpg1.jpg

That shooting was from a rest over the hood of my truck. I've gotten way too shaky for shooting a pistol one handed. I did take a first place in the Colorado state shoot back around '72 or '73 but somehow I seem to have gotten older since then. :haha:

CoyoteJoe said:
I did take a first place in the Colorado state shoot back around '72 or '73 but somehow I seem to have gotten older since then. :haha:

I noticed that too. How do we stop that?

scalper said:
Great shootin Joe!!! You might be less shaky if you dont drink that coffee!! :rotf:
Have a heart man, coffee and chewing tobacco are about all the vices I have left!

Back