• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished My Bucks Co. LR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ Longbeard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I just finished my 1st scratch build. A bucks co. LR I made a pattern of the #63 Andrew Verner in RCA VOL. 1 I tried to keep the lines of the Verner as well as incorporating some of my own inlay designs. I owe many thanks to fletho for answering my many quetions via email thanks Fred! I used only hand tools with the exception of my bandsaw to cut out shape of the stock and cordless drill to drill the ramrod hole through the forestock. The swampped barrel I inlet by hand. All the inlays I made myself including the large rear entry pipe with a cross. The Hunters star and thumb inlays are made of 95% coin silver.I also made some of my own tools for certain tasks such as 3 corner safe file, and engraver for the metal engraving.

Specs. and parts used:
overall length: 59-1/2"
Length of pull: 13-1/4"
Castoff: 3/16"
Weight: just over 7-1/2 lbs.
Finish: Mix of LMF Maple and Cherry stain followed by 12 coats of a 50/50 mix of BLO/Danish oil

Stock blank: Grade #5 Curly Maple from Wayne Dunlap
Barrel: Colerain .45 cal. 44" swampped
Touch hole liner : White ligtning 5/16"
Lock: Jim Chambers Deluxe Siler
Butt plate and triggerguard : from TOW

Parts I handmade:

Ramrod pipes front,middle and one pice rear entry
Nosecap
barrel underlugs
Silver hunter star and thumb piece inlays
Trigger and triggerplate

Heres a only a few of the hundreds of pics I took throughout the build: Comments and critique more than welcome

100_0789.jpg

100_0787.jpg

100_1251.jpg

100_1254.jpg

100_1256.jpg

100_1309.jpg

100_1321.jpg

100_1323.jpg

100_1472.jpg

100_1473.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1577.jpg

100_1585.jpg

100_1587.jpg

100_1588.jpg

100_1598.jpg

It's hard to see in the pic but I engraved the words " In God We Trust" on the rear entry thimble.......Ed

Looks like your shaping & the inletting went well. Nice stain color to the wood & nice piece of wood.

Keith Lisle

Back