• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

nib colt series "c" 1851

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rep1954

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just picked up this new in the box Colt 1851. I'll be using this gun to get back into BP shooting after a leave of many years.
IMG_0589.jpg

Just a thought: These Colt C&B revolvers may have some collector value in the future. A NIB M1851 might be very collectable. Would it be better to get another repro gun for shooting and let this beautiful Colt appreciate?

. sep 19 ; 05:15

rep1954,

tex might actually be onto something.. just for fun i looked up the stats on a "second generation, NIB C series Colt 1851".. here's what i got from the blue book of modern BP arms:

".36cal with silver plated brass backstrap and square back trigger guard, serial no.'s between 4201-25099, etc...." had an MSR of $200 when last sold retail in 1971-78.

today they are valued at:
100% = $650
98% = $450
90% = $300
80% = $200

(add $50 more for the "Shooter Model" that has brass backstrap, made in 1978 only)

There's a reason why this is still in mint condition after 30+ years....

it's up to you regardless,

~d~ :hatsoff:

*there's even a premium for which type of "box" it's stored in !

The action in this gun was a little stiff and I replaced the springs with the same springs that I use in all my Colt SAA's that come from Wolfe Springs. I've never had anything but good luck with them in my SAA's. The trigger is fantastic with no creep at all. The hammer did slow down from what it was but nothing different than my SAA's. Will this main spring jepordize ignition using it on percussion caps? Has anyone else here used these springs in the 1851? I did have to shorten the main spring about 3/32" in length to get it to fit the hammer correctly.

I never lighten the springs on a C&B. The hammer will be blown back and the cap will fall into the action.

Not good when you're trying to shoot fast.

I never thought of that. I will replace the main spring and leave the trigger/bolt spring. Looks like I'm going to have to order some lead balls.

Nice little revolvers! I have one too that I shoot with 22-25grn of 3F with OxYoke lubed pads over the charge. I mold my own RB & Conicals with the Colt Mold.
I don't put lube over the charge holes.
It just makes a mess and is harder to reload. I load the bullets to clear the cylinder face with a full charge of powder. They seem to shoot better this way.
Make sure you have the correct size caps for it.
the 1st and second Gen. Colts use #10. This is yours.
I shoot a 3rd Gen and it uses #11s. If you use too big a cap, you can get a "Chain Fire".
Don't use #11s on a size #10 nipple!

Back