• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI Magnum Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex efremenko

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me the difference between these and the regular # 11 CCI caps? All that I know is that the magnum caps only work about 50% of the time in my Older Ruger 0ld Army. My nipples are in good shape.Or is it time for a new mainspring?

Any thoughts?

Alex E.

Something is WRONG if CCI Magnum caps don't work! What exactly do you mean by "not work"? Are they igniting when the hammer strikes them? If some don't, you could be looking at a revolver tune-up.

By don't work, do you mean fail to go off, or fail to ignite the main charge?

If it's fail to go off a all, the problem is mechanical, very possibly that the nipple faces are not square to the hammer faces.

If they go bang and rarely ignite the main charge, the problem is between the cap and the charge. If you are using a BP substitute that is likely the problem. If you are using BP, then the channel may be blocked or constricted, either in the nipple or the flash channel.

CCI Mangum 11's are pretty hot and pretty reliable.

That was what I was trying to say, but I'm a little too tired after today's BP Match :thumbsup: . Thanks for picking-up my slack! :haha:

The caps ignite after they are struck the second time.First time is a manure shoot. Regular CCI caps work better but not 100% of the time.Im using newer although older nipples[20years]I know in my mind it something simple.

Alex

It sounds like you are not getting the caps completely seated on the nipples if the first strike fails to detonate them. Try firmly seating them with a wooden dowel prior to shooting. You may also want to consider a set of Treso nipples. The cones seem to be machined to tighter tolerances than stock Ruger nipples so caps fit better.

+1 on what AcornMush said. If they go bang the second time around the energy of the first strike was wasted seating the cap.

Try Track of the Wolf. They do mail-order, and most folks here agree that their customer service is fine.

Dave

P.S.: Don't think for a moment that you're the only one that ever had this problem! Sometimes the nipples like the German RWS size 10 3/4 caps :shocked2: :idunno: . Mykeal did some research as to the actual sizes, and found it to be a manure-shoot for both #10 & #11 caps!

Many of the nipples supplied with cap and ball revolvers have a cone that is slightly larger than it should be to allow the caps available in America to be seated with the shooters finger.

If this appears to be the case, and with your gun needing two hammer falls, it appears to be you can fix the problem yourself if you have a electric drill and a flat file.

To do this, remove the nipples from the cylinder.

Place a nipple in the chuck of the electric drill locating on the cylindrical body of the nipple, not the threads. The cone should be fully exposed outside the chucks jaws.

With the drill in the "normal" position of rotation and with it on your left side pointed towards your right, start the drill.

Hold the file at the same angle as the cone on the nipple and lightly push it forward to remove just a little material from the cone.

Stop the drill and try to fit a cap on the nipple. It should slide on almost all the way.
If it does, your done. If it doesn't, start the drill and take another stroke with the file.

Usually, removing about .003-.006 (that's one to two human hair thicknesses) will fix the problem.

After filing all of the nipples, replace them into the cylinder and go shooting. :)

I pretty much had ALREADY done that before I posted.Maybe a fresh set would be the way to go :again,
Then see what transpires...........

Thanks,Alex

Latest posts

Back