• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional PRB Hunters: What caliber will you use opening day?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.50 cap for deer and coyote.

I'm too old to be lugging an elk.

I would have bought a .54 for that anyway.

roundball,
When the time comes, mine will be one of my
.45s for deer.I am very confident when using it,
and most of my deer harvest have been under
50yds.

AS OF 09/18/10, SUMMARY OF THE THREE POLLS ABOUT PLANS FOR PRB HUNTING THIS FALL:

Flintlocks = 65%
Caplocks = 35%

Rifle = 84%
Smoothbore = 15%

54cal = 37%
50cal = 29%
58cal = 12%
45cal = 12%
62cal = 9%

RB,
I wonder if the reason .50 and .54 are #'s 1&2 has anything to do with the fact those two calibers are what the majority of production guns are made in? I would imagine the majority {but certainly not all} of .58 and .62 shooters represent the smoothbore fans?

Snow

Snow on the Roof said:
RB,
I wonder if the reason .50 and .54 are #'s 1&2 has anything to do with the fact those two calibers are what the majority of production guns are made in? I would imagine the majority {but certainly not all} of .58 and .62 shooters represent the smoothbore fans?
Snow
Hard to say for sure about the .50 & .54 but that seems a pretty logical conclusion.
My personal feeling is the .58's are mostly rifles, where I'd guess that the .62's are virtually all smoothbores.

When I thought about the poll(s), ideally a single poll with a spreadsheet approach would have been great where all Q&As could have been placed into the same document giving the ability to check all columns and tie the whole string of info together at the same time, ie:
.62cal / Flintlock / Smoothbore
.58cal / Flintlock / Rifle
.50cal / Caplock / Rifle

But I couldn't figure out a way to offer multiple choice answers yet still associate an individual's multiple answers together.

In your poll results, you seem to have overlooked that other 1% that shoot something other than those calibers you favor - at least one respondent (myself) will be using a .40 again this year, hopefully as successfully as last year.

:hatsoff:
Spot

.50 caplock. w/prb likely. deer here in WNC
still trying to get access to old farmland in S. Calinky that has abundance of feral hog - likely there will use REAL slugs I've been experimenting with. I have had good success but not quite as tight group as prb at 50 yds. I'm more confident in their 'whackability' though.

Spot said:
In your poll results, you seem to have overlooked that other 1% that shoot something other than those calibers you favor - at least one respondent (myself) will be using a .40
No, I didn't overlook anything...the poll summary is simply a tabulation of the numerical poll data...a poll that I put up for my own curiosity.
I wasn't interested in non-typical extremes like .32cal, .75cal, etc...I was only interested in seeing the % distribution via a numerical data collection poll about the mainline calibers that represent the typical majority of muzzleloader PRB big game hunters.

roundball said:
No, I didn't overlook anything...the poll summary is simply a tabulation of the numerical poll data...a poll that I put up for my own curiosity.
I wasn't interested in non-typical extremes like .32cal, .75cal, etc...I was only interested in seeing the % distribution via a numerical data collection poll about the mainline calibers that represent the typical majority of muzzleloader PRB big game hunters.
Maybe I misunderstood the poll then, because it didn't say anything about "mainline" calibers.

Why, then, did you include the "other" category?

I think it is an interesting poll, and I get kind of a kick out of using something a little different.

Spot

Spot, you have established a pretty clear track record of trying to create controversy over calibers. And once again you have managed to take was has been a simple discussion, over the course a several days, not disrupted by anyone else, and create an issue out of it.

TO CLARIFY:

It was a poll that "I" posted, not you.

The wording and choices were very simple and clear.

I included the category of 'other' for write-ins as a courtesy knowing full well some individual would snipe if I didn't.

It was a poll I posted out of an interest "I" had, not a poll to try and satisfy some specific unique interest YOU had...or anyone else might have.

It was not an official poll bring conducted by a market research company representing the entire muzzleloading industry...it was simply "MY" poll representing "MY" area of interest.
It did not happen to include choices for .25/.32/.36/.40/.56/.69/.72/.75 calibers.

The data summary I posted in each of the three poll threads was simply a convenient quick refernce for other Forum members to see how the numerical data was lining up on the specific choices of all three polls to avoid having to open each of the three polls to see.

Write-in comments are there for anyone to read.

In closing, attempts at making positive contributions to the forum are always better than sitting back and sniping at other's attempts.

:haha: Actually, I was trying to participate in what I agree was a good topic for discussion.

I'll admit I was having a little bit of fun here, but I didn't mean to be sniping at you. I suppose I should apologize if I gave you that impression. :v

I must respectfully disagree with your comment that I have a record of trying to create controversy over hunting calibers, though. I think you may believe that because you disagree with my contention that .40 is a perfectly adequate caliber for whitetail deer (which is supported by my own personal, first hand experience).

One other thing - you posted this poll on a public forum. Thus, you invited all responses. Being offended by some of them is silly.

Ignoring an entire category of repsonses when you post the results could lead someone to believe you were trying to influence the results of the poll. I didn't (and don't) think that was your intent, so I added my comments in the interest of full disclosure.

I will using my new .40 TVM Tennessee this year, and am pretty excited about that. I know the .40 is not a "main stream" choice as a deer hunting caliber, but I know it is an effective caliber, and if I was all that interested in what "main stream" muzzleloading hunters are using, I'd be carrying an inline.

I hope everybody has a great hunting season this year, irregardless what caliber they choose.

Spot

Better not give up your day job because I don't see high hopes for you as a shrink...no one else had your problems with the simple polls.
By contrast the trend of your posts in these regards always seem to have the common theme of defending a .40cal.

Again, my polls were MY polls about what I'm interested in: .45/.50/.54/.58/.62 calibers.
I did not list choices for many other options like .25/.32/.36/.40/.56/.69/.72/.75

I hope the matchlock shooters and punt gun owners don't get all riled up to.

Its just that simple...and thanks for hijacking another caliber thread.
:thumbsup:

roundball said:
Its just that simple...and thanks for hijacking another caliber thread.
:thumbsup:
Oh loosen up, tiny tears. Just include ALL the data results if you want YOUR poll to have any integrity.

Maybe I'll try a .40 matchlock... :wink:

Spot

Back