• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1450 fps = ?mph

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at the chart of some bullets for the .54, and told my son a certain load will produce 1450 fps. He askes me how many miles per hour that was. Hmmmm
Can someone hepl me cypher this one? Thanks (my math is terrible)

Flint50

Okay... there are 5280 feet in a mile, so the bullet would take 3.64 seconds to travel 1 mile. (5280/1450=3.64)

One hour is 3600 seconds (60 seconds in a minute x 60 minutes in an hour). So... if you multiply 1450 fps * 3600 seconds, you get 5,220,000 feet per hour. Divide that by 5280 feet in a mile, and you end up with 988.64 miles per hour.

I hope that's right... seems right. Anyone care to double-check my math? ::

Okay... there are 5280 feet in a mile, so the bullet would take 3.64 seconds to travel 1 mile. (5280/1450=3.64)

One hour is 3600 seconds (60 seconds in a minute x 60 minutes in an hour). So... if you multiply 1450 fps * 3600 seconds, you get 5,220,000 feet per hour. Divide that by 5280 feet in a mile, and you end up with 988.64 miles per hour.

I hope that's right... seems right. Anyone care to double-check my math? ::

Assuming the bullet maintains the same speed throughout it's flight, the speed is reduced by friction (air drag) and the wind will also reduce the speed and change the direction...

However, it leaves the bore at 988.64 miles per hour... :D

And since the speed of sound is roughly 760 miles per hour around sea level, the round ball is travailing faster than the speed of sound, that's why there's a "crack" sound when the trigger is pulled...

Unless you are shooting that 4 bore, then the "crack" sound is from your shoulder... :crackup:

Thanks fer cypherin' that one out. I ran out of fingers and toes real quick on this one! 988.64 mph is pretty darned fast eh? Thanks again

Thanks fer cypherin' that one out. I ran out of fingers and toes real quick on this one! 988.64 mph is pretty darned fast eh? Thanks again

Makes you stop and think when you realize the high altitude cruising speed of a passenger jetliner is like the muzzle velocity of a .45ACP

So - that's why they can fly NY to LA faster than I can drive it? I always wondered about that! :haha: If only my speedometer went faster .... :hmm:

Assuming the bullet maintains the same speed throughout it's flight, the speed is reduced by friction (air drag) and the wind will also reduce the speed and change the direction...

However, it leaves the bore at 988.64 miles per hour... :D

And since the speed of sound is roughly 760 miles per hour around sea level, the round ball is travailing faster than the speed of sound, that's why there's a "crack" sound when the trigger is pulled...

Unless you are shooting that 4 bore, then the "crack" sound is from your shoulder... :crackup:

:crackup:

You are correct sir... I obviously did not take gravity, drag, ballistic coefficient and all of that fun stuff into account, I simply equated 1450 fps to 988.64 mph.

Let's have some more fun, just for giggles:

My .300 Weatherby Magnum (yes, I love traditional stuff, but I like cartridge guns too. Sue me. :blah: anyway...), can send a 150-gr. bullet out of the muzzle at approximately 3200fps. Doing the same math... you end up with 2,181.82 miles per hour! Dang! A 220 Swift, launching a bullet at 4000fps would be going 2,727.27 mph at the muzzle!!!

This is kinda fun... why didn't I ever do this before now? ::

Hey , Musketman ,
I "resemble" that remark about the 4-bore .............
Joe.

Your calculation came up with the right answer, but I just use these conversion factors.

To convert FPS to MPH, multiply by 0.682

To convert MPH to FPS, multiply by 1.467

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Something to think about...
If you are travelling in a jet plane going approx. 580 MPH and fired a .45ACP (.45ACP bullet speed is approx. 850 FPS) out of the back of the plane... Does the bullet just stop in mid air??? :what: :youcrazy:

Something to think about...
If you are travelling in a jet plane going approx. 580 MPH and fired a .45ACP (.45ACP bullet speed is approx. 850 FPS) out of the back of the plane... Does the bullet just stop in mid air??? :what: :youcrazy:

No it just travels along side ya for a ways anyhow!

Chuck
TMA Prez

OK,

have we figured out yet why they now use missles and rockets on fighter planes.

You can shoot yourself down very quickly if armed with a .50 BMG.

Or if you are traveling on the supersonic concord which flies faster than the speed of sound, can you hear the in flight movie? :crackup: :huh: :sorry: :blah: :hmm:

BobW. No, you can't hear the inflight movie. Futhermore, if you try talking with a friend, you won't hear him or her either since the sound is left behind. Sheesh, do I have to tell you'uns everything? :hmm: Kidding. :thumbsup:

OK. For this thought, nature and air resistance doesn't exist. The velocity is constant.

So you are shooting at a range of 100 yards (300 feet) and the ball has a velocity of 1200 feet per second.
As the range is 300 feet and the velocity is 1200 feet per second, the time it takes the ball to get to the target is 300 feet/1200 feet per second, or 1/4 of a second.

Now, you up the powder load so the velocity is 1500 feet per second. That's 300 feet per second faster than the first load.
As the range is 300 feet, and the ball is going 300 feet per second faster than it was, it stands to reason it will take 1 second less time than it did before.

If it only took 1/4 second before, and now it takes 1 second less, does that mean it gets to the target 3/4 second before the gun fires?
:: :: ::

Ya, ole Zonie no's tha answer but he ain't tellin!! ::

Back