• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional PRB Hunters: What caliber will you use opening day?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
What caliber will you be using opening day for big game...deer, elk, etc?

.45cal?
.50cal?
.54cal?
.58cal?
.62cal?
Other?

the .62/20 bore for moose and bear this season.i'll bring my .54 for a spare.

....good hunting to you all.

62 cal flint..Whitetails...58 cal spare percussion..used 54 cal last season..planning on having the 58 in flint for next season.
Good luck to all you hunters this fall!

The only "big game" we have around here are whitetail deer. I`ve been shooting them for years with my old .45 CVA Kentucky and plan to continue the tradition.

:hmm: Hopefully a .62, maybe a .54, or maybe a .50, ...or a .75 smoothie... :idunno: I might even tote 2 of 'em.

jethro you sound like me for deer season might even use my bow a couple days :shocked2:

Well, I see a mix of replies regarding PRB, AND shot loads, AND archery equipment scattered through the 3 polls...but the 3 polls were actually entitled and aimed at "Traditional PRB (Patched Round Ball) Hunters"...

:grin:

.54 for deer or any coyote that happens along. deer are the only big game we got here.

Opening day here is only 3 weeks away, archery season, a 58# Moon longbow and traditional arrows with 2 blade broadheads. After that I'll use that loud, smokey, heavy, addictive old side hammer .50 cal. for hogs and deer. Lets go now.

.54 this sat morn. :) Would use a .58 if I had one! Will pack along a .50 and use for deer if elk tag is filled first just because the little .50 has not been blooded yet.

The 54 is my go to caliber in three different rifles. Hardest part is pickin' which one to "go to"... :grin:

My Fusil bore is .58 the ball I use may be a .562/.570 .550 or .535 I like to play around with the windages and smaller balls used in the past a bit of "touching history"

roundball said:
Well, I see a mix of replies regarding PRB, AND shot loads, AND archery equipment scattered through the 3 polls...but the 3 polls were actually entitled and aimed at "Traditional PRB (Patched Round Ball) Hunters"...

sorry bill gotta little carried away whith my plans (house full of wife & girls of which neither of them share my feelings for the hunt) i'll try to go back to one word replies again

hope I didn't ruffle to many feathers

.62 cal

roundball said:
Well, I see a mix of replies regarding PRB, AND shot loads, AND archery equipment scattered through the 3 polls...but the 3 polls were actually entitled and aimed at "Traditional PRB (Patched Round Ball) Hunters"...:grin:

:surrender: OK I did it too. But you have to realize it's nearly deer season and some of us are really getting the fever bad. We're not thinking right and I think my old neck is starting to swell. I found myself pawing ground and rubbing a small tree yesterday. So it may not be my fault. K45

No harm at all...I just chuckled when I started reading write-in posts 'cause I've done it too

I can't answer you polls yet. It may be the 62 smoothbore or it may be the 50 rifle. Both are flint though.

Latest posts

Back