• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Way To Carry Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powhs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Am wondering the best hammer position to carry a side lock rifle in while hunting.
1) Should the gun be carried capped?
2) If so what position should the hammer be in?
3) I made a little peice of leather to rest the hammer on the nipple. Would it be safe to carry with a cap on the nipple and the leather between the cap and hammer?

Well powhs, you can't shoot an animal with an uncapped gun, so it's got to be capped. The halfcock position of the hammer is considered the "safety" postition. Of course, like any safety feature, don't count on it not to fire when in half-cock. Always practice your safety rules.

When you jump something in the woods and decide you're going to shoot it, it's just a quick pull on the hammer and shoulder the weapon and aim, usually all in one motion. After you do this enough times, it happens without you even having any knowledge of how it happens, it's just there on your shoulder ready to fire and you can't remember how it got there, just an automatic response. Bill

My deer rifle has a special "hunter's half cock" The half cock holds the hammer off of the cap for safety, but close enough to the cap to prevent the cap from falling off the nipple.

P.S. About that piece of leather between the hammer and cap, I'm going to resectfully say that's not a good idea. It can give you a false sense of safety, but in reality, if the hammer were to fall on the leather, the compression force driven through the leather would probably fire the gun anyway. Let's say it's a 50/50 chance it will go off, not good!

In other words, if you are ready to fire the gun, at the range or in a hunting situation, the gun should be capped, period. However, if you want to make the gun safe, like when you're walking around the range, packing it in your vehicle, showing it to your friends, putting it away in your house etc, the gun should be at least uncapped, period. There is no intermediate device that can make it as safe as being uncapped. BTW, the only way to make any muzzleloader completely safe is to unload it, and then treat it as if it were still loaded.

Safety first, but make sure you still have fun :grin: . Bill

Thanks for the advice. My gun on half cock will allow the cap to fall off. I think I will just squeeze the cap a little so it will stay on and then go half cocked. :haha:

If you are having problems with the cap falling off easily, you may have the wrong size nipple. You could have a #10 nipple. I don't know of any manufacturers who put #10 nipples on their rifles but I suppose there could be some who do. Another possibility is that your nipple is worn down and the cap just no longer fits correctly. A third possibility is that you have one of the stinkin' metric nipples that show up occasionally. They are slightly larger than a #11 nipple and your cap will not seat down all the way such that it will fall off easily. Usually, though, if this is the case you will notice that often your gun will not fire on the first try but will fire almost every time on the second try. That is because the cap is not properly seated and will not fire when the hammer hits it the first time. Rather, the force of the hammer will seat but not fire the cap. Then the second time you try to fire it, the cap will have been driven down onto the nipple and will fire on the second try. The easy remedy is to simply replace your nipple with a #11 nipple and I suspect your problem with your cap falling off with disappear.

So long as your lock is in good safe operating condition, it is as safe as it is reasonably possible to make it when it is on half cock. In a hunting situation, you have to have the nipple capped so half cock is the best way to carry it. If the hammer is down on a capped gun, it is very easy to hit the hamer on something and cause the gun to go off. Similarly, if it is fully cocked, it is ready to go off with any pressure on the trigger. Neither of the latter two options are safe so half cock is your best safe hunting option. Just keep in mind that no capped and loaded gun is absolutely safe so you will have to take responsibility for keeping it pointed in a safe direction at all times when hunting. :thumbsup:

A better design than your leather would be a tubular device that is attached with a thong or wire or chain. This tubular device would slide over the capped nipple and the hammer would rest against it an hold it in place. When firing you would cock the hammer to the firing position and flick off the tubular thingy. Dont really even need a thong or whang. Make one out of copper tubing.....................Bob

The rifle is a 58 caliber Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter. The rifle is made by Antonio Zoli. I have a new #11 nipple but it is a wrong size. Any idea what size/style the nipple is and where I can buy one for the rifle?

Leatherbark:

I use almost exactly what you defined, mine is a spent decapped .25ACP casing, tapped for a small, short 6/32 brass srew attached to a deer skin thong looped around the trigger guard.

The cap sets on the nipple, with the casing over it and the hammer rests on the casing, it also keeps the cap dry.

:rotf: Past experience has proved that after full cock if you neglect to flip the casing off of the nipple "the rifle will not fire", but the buck will laugh at you.

Track of The Wolf at www.trackofthewolf.com has what you want. Muzzleloader Builder's Supply used to carry them. You might check them out as well. I am not sure but I think their web address is www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com. As a last resort, you might also check Dixie Gun Works at www.dixiegunworks.com. Dixie has a LOT of stuff but they tend to be a bit pricy compared to the others.

In any case, you will have to know what threads you have on your nipple. Nipples come in several different threads. If you don't know what thread it is, you can nemove your nipple from your gun andtake it to a hardware store and try different nuts on your nipple until you find one that fits. Remember that some nipples have metric threads on them so be sure to check for that. Once you know what threads your nipple has, you can order a #11 nipple in that thread design. A call to the kind folks at Track of The Wolf can help you determine what nipple you need. Often just telling them the gun that you have will let them know what nipple you need. They are great folks to deal with. Ampco bronze nipples are some of the best you can get but you will pay about 50% to 75% more for them. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Am wondering the best hammer position to carry a side lock rifle in while hunting.
1) Should the gun be carried capped?

Only if you really want to shoot a deer. Uncapped doesn't fire very well. :wink:

2) If so what position should the hammer be in?

Half-cock.

3) I made a little peice of leather to rest the hammer on the nipple. Would it be safe to carry with a cap on the nipple and the leather between the cap and hammer?

Absolutely not. A smack on the hammer could fire the gun. Also, a twig, branch, etc., could catch the hammer and lift it enough to drop the piece of leather but not catch the half-cock notch. Then when the brush slipps off and drops the hammer the gun could fire. IMHO the same thing could happen with any of the "little brass tube" things.
In a hunting situation, I highly recommend carrying the rifle capped, on half-cock, while paying close attention to the normal safety rules.

When walking through woods, or brush, at the very least put your hand, or thumb behind the hammer so that you will instantly feel any movement of the hammer, should it strike some branch or brush.

I forcefully put my thumb or web against the back of the hammer to prevent any rearward movement of the hammer out of the half-cock notch. I also stay to game trails, and runs, when negotiating brush and woods.

AND, I don't try to move faster than a slow walk. Fast movement disturbs all the wildlife in the woods, and they send out alarm calls, that game listen to. Your location can be transmitted instantly to game located well beyond your sight, a mile or more from you in deep woods. The slower you move, the less disturbance you make, and the less likely that birds, squirrels, and other animals in the woods are going to issue the alarm, or break from cover scaring even more animals, to give your location away to all.

If you do "BUST" the wildlife into sending out an alarm, STOP immediately and stand perfectly still for at least 10 minutes. The alarm calls will diminish, and then end. The forest is used to small animals panicking at every falling twig, and don't give much credence to a single alarm. Instead they consider it another false alarm by animals that are scared of their shadows, and go back to what they were doing. Watch where you step. Bend your knees and keep them bent as you move slowly forward. Place your foot flat to the ground, slowly, to muffle crushing leaves, and twigs under your shoes. You will hear the sounds of those dry leaves and twigs, as sound travels up your bones in your feet, legs, etc. to your ears faster than through the air. But, the sounds will not be heard more than a few feet from your boot or shoe.

Wait for any wind that moves the branches of the tree, and then move only as far as the branches near you move. Stand still again, until the next wind comes by. The wind creates LOTS of noise in woods, neutralizing a deer's sense of hearing, which deer use for defense primarily. Moving slowly also helps to defeat their sense of sight, particularly if you only move when wind moves branches around you.

Try to keep the wind in your face, so that your scent is not sent ahead of you to alert game of your presence. And always listen to the birds and squirrels in the woods.

The Safest " Carry positions"(methods) to use when carrying a loaded rifle in the woods, are the Two-hand Carry, and the Cradle Carry. In both instances, you control where the muzzle is pointing, as well as control the external hammer, with your hand(s).

The Trail Carry, Elbow Carry, and Shoulder Carries( over one shoulder, pointing the muzzle behind you, or across both shoulders) as well as the Sling Carry do not allow you to control BOTH the muzzle and the action( hammer and trigger). The gun should be de-capped and the hammer lowered when using any of these carry methods, IMHO.

If you do these things, you greatly improve your chance of seeing game in the woods, while lessening the chance of an unintended discharge of your percussion rifle . :hatsoff:

Leatherbark has a good idea, simple yet effective.

In all the years I hunted with a caplock, I always capped it and put the gun on half cock, never had a problem or ever heard of anyone having a problem doing it that way.

I'm reminded of a story from years ago, mid 80's. I was hunting with a couple of cousins and this was pre "Swamp Rat" days, so they would wheel me into a spot, generally not far from the road of course. Anyway as I was sitting there one morning, I heard a comotion below me and after a while this guy comes running up near me and asked if I saw a deer run by me, at which point I said no as I was kinda shocked looking at his rifle which was fully cocked and he was carrying it with one hand by the forearm. :shocked2: I asked him if he realized his gun was cocked and he said "yes I always carry it that way" :youcrazy: Ohh kayy have a nice day! :shake:

Only time I ever saw anything that stupid by anyone in the woods like that. Oh, except sending buckshot my way but thats a whole nother story. :youcrazy:

:thumbsup:
The way I've always done it hunting. I also make sure I lead with the muzzle when moving through brush and, as Paul said, keep my hand against the back of the hammer.

When I'm hunting with a percussion gun it's capped and the hammer is down. If you're careful when moving through brush you're not going to let brush grab the hammer. In fact, a twig is more likely to snag a hammer at half cock than when down. If it's at half cock it can get caught between the nipple and the hammer. If you have an English style lock with a very low half cock that will not let the cap from coming loose that's well and good.

A Federal soldier was killed during the War by a comrade who was carrying his musket laying on his shoulder muzzle forward holding it by the forend. A branch snagged the hammer and pulled it far enough to fire the gun. I for one do not advocate carrying a loaded long gun in this way. So it can happen. The key to being safe is handling your gun correctly. If you're hunting you would,or should be carrying it in such a way that your lock is either in front of you or close by your side. If I'm moving, my hand is around the small of the stock ready to cock and fire, so there's no likelihood of anything pulling that hammer back but me.

Powhs, Your Buffalo Hunter originally had a musket nipple. If you're using #11 caps now, it has been converted. I would call Dixie or TOW if you need to replace it. It makes a difference if your gun is an older one or one of the newer ones built a couple of years ago. Hope this helps. Bill

I carry my rifle capped with a Kap Kover on the nipple if hunting in wet weather. It is a special nipple with a groove cut around it and an O-ring installed in the groove and a brass cover that fit snugly over the nipple. The hammer rests on top of the brass cover. If the weather is dry I carry capped and half cocked.

If hunting with anyone else, we all carry with the guns uncapped or unprimed. There's not going to be any fast shooting anyway when we're in a group, so there's "plenty" of time for one of us to cap if game is spotted. When we split up to go our separate ways we all cap and carry on halfcock, removing the caps when we reunite.

None of us have ever experienced any firing problems from caps in wet weather, at least for the caps on the nipples. One hunting pard had failures when his capper got wet (sweat inside his raingear rather than rain), but he's solved that just by keeping his capper in his bag.

Back