• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Long??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My .50 cal. Peter Berry has a 42 inch which is a pain in a blind,I would like a Chambers English gentelman rifle in .54cal..
Just wishing :wink:

Actually, I too utterly love the looks of the long stock, long barrel rifles they are beautiful.

:rotf: However I've never wanted to bet my life on whether I could more effectively use a longer barrel as a poking stick to keep a momma gator or a sow pig at bay.

For what its worth, the ill tempered 450+ lb. boar in the photo came out of the palmettos at full speed 25yds away.

Rocky J said:
My .50 cal. Peter Berry has a 42 inch which is a pain in a blind,I would like a Chambers English gentelman rifle in .54cal..
I use one of those 27" high portable camo cloth blinds that I unroll across in front of me when sitting down, and did have to position it a foot further out in front of me

Rocky J said:

I use a pretty roomy popup blind in certain areas, especially the Island I hunt and have found, for me, a 34" barrel is about my limit to easily get turned around if I need to and handle my gun. Did a couple of years with a 42" barrel rifle and it was comical and frustrating at times, longguns just aren't ment to be used in blinds by people like me. :haha:

I hunt with a 54 and 58 Chambers smooth rifle with a 46 inch barrel and a 44 inch 54 cal chabers longrifle and have had no trouble at all my 62 cal 3i inch jager says home now I just like the long toms best

I wonder how many of those who praised the "need" for a short barrel for any number of reasons have ever used a long gun for hunting.Unless you have the barrel of a 44" gun stuck in a knothole it will come up as fast as a 28-36 " gun I have used them all over the last 40 years.Hunting from blinds is the only place I could see length being an issue, while walking if carried correctly any well balanced gun will come to shoulder as fast and the barrel will follow.

My 42inch swamped barrel handles real well I love it but it is about 6 inches to long in a pop up blind. I brushed the side of the blind while trying to turn and get the barrel out the left side becouse the deer came up on the wrong side,I shoot left handed. It was a doe so I didn't feel to bad about it running off like someone was shooting at it,but it could have been a keeper buck. :wink:

I have always considered leaving some seed a good thing... and a handy excuse at times as well :grin:

Osage said:
:rotf: However I've never wanted to bet my life on whether I could more effectively use a longer barrel as a poking stick to keep a momma gator or a sow pig at bay.

For what its worth, the ill tempered 450+ lb. boar in the photo came out of the palmettos at full speed 25yds away.

This 225lber charged me as well and all I had was my longbow and my back to a mesquite thicket. If I hadn't been wearing knee high snake boots I would have been cut. It's what I get for not letting him sit long enough to get all the way dead.
n1629476471_82313_5058813.jpg

Those mtn lions are everywhere. Even though we hear of occasional attacks by cats, they are rare.

The way cats attack, if you are on the menu, you won't even see it coming. Won't make much diff how long your barrel is. :haha:

YoungGunner said:
I am thinking about getting a new rifle to my collection but it will be almost strictly for hunting and minor "shoots" shooting besides from the day to day shooting at the house. Green Mountain sells barrels in 36" and 42" lengths and I cant possibly imagine carrying a gun with a 42" barrel around the woods for HOURS, but it would look more "correct" with the kit I want to buy. So with that in mind, with your go-to BIG GAME hunting gun how long is your barrel? and what are the +/-'s of longer barrels?
(weight not an issue, I aint no mamby-pamby! :surrender: )

I like 32" personally... VERY accurate and light/easy to carry. Purty easy to get a 36" barrel and whack off 4".
Just :2

Supercracker:

O'yes, my friend you know the feeling. There are those who talk, however once you realize that you are the hunted, suddenly things become a little different. As the old saying goes, "Once you've seen war, you'll never quit seeing it".

Osage

A 42" barreled rifle with a well balanced point for one hand carry that falls into the light to moderate weight catagory is a dream to carry in the woods. Going through the thick stuff I try to keep it in either the vertical or horizontal position depending on the brush. It glides through. :thumbsup:

DSC03379.jpg

my fav is 46" barrel it does all I ask of it ...and looks alright doing it

DSC02282.jpg

Back