• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Mink oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know this “Mink Oil”? You will have to be old because I got this and used it in the early 1970’s. I can’t remember if it was good or not. I don’t know what it is made from. I couldn’t find anything on the Net about it either. I also found an old tube of “Spit Ball” from Hodgedon. It has to be from the same era. It is amazing what you find when you go digging around in old boxes in the basement!

IMG_2501.jpg

My dad always used Mink oil on his leather boots. I use some stuff called Sno Pruf which is similar, but without the rendered mink fat.

I have a few tubes of stuff from Blue and Gray Products called "pistol patch." I think I bought the stuff when a Murphy Mart closed in Lebanon PA back in 1978. Paid like a buck for the whole case. I'm not sure when Blue and Gray closed, Haven't seen that brand for sale in years.

Your Mink Oil looks like T.O.W mink oil but looks can be deceiving. I bought some Hodgden Spitball a few weeks ago for a dollar.........It smells of Mutton tallow........................Bob

I'm sorry to disagree but the picture you have here looks Nothing like the mink Oil I have from TOTW. The stuff I have is white. No yellow tint to it at all.

Yes, I am afraid to use it because it looks like patrolmen jelly to me.
There was a reason I didn't use it up all those years ago.
I just don't remember it.

TOW mink oil will take on a yellow-brown tint with age,however if the stuff you have here was made for waterproofing leather and such then it probably contains some sort of petrolium product. myself,i would'nt use it for a patch lube.just my opinion.

I have pure mink oil and I have the stuff that contains silicone that you can buy in the shoe care section of any store. That shiny tint in the picture would make it seem like it contains the artificial stuff.

I bet that white Mink Oil actually came from Ermine while the brownish oil came from old run of the mill mink. :grin:

Ermine are white weasels not mink. Well, in theory, because half of those I catch are only half white.

Most mink oil sold commercially is so adulterated it's not close to pure mink oil.

Have not heard of that being a problem with the Mink Oil TOW sells.
Some of the other commercial brands are most certainly blended in such a fashion.
Best Wishes

arctichomesteader said:
Ermine are white weasels not mink. Well, in theory, because half of those I catch are only half white.
Not to hijack this thread, but you are catching them at the wrong time of year. Weasels are brown in summer, white in winter and in transition (brown and white) spring and fall.

I know, but the law here is no land trapping after December 31st. Weasels used to be non-protected, but when they were added to the furbearer list, they fell under land trapping rules. Crazy laws.

Back