• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alternate Manufacturers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddhefele

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy another muzzleloader. I already have a Traditions Hawkens and looking for something different. However, I'm not looking to break the bank (Pedesoli are out of my range). I have been looking at the Cabela's Kentucky or Blue Ridge rifles. I've also found the T/C website. Can anyone suggest some other manufacturers?

Also, if I want to use it for deer hunting - preferably using the maxi-ball/conical ball type projectiles, what rate of twist is best?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

There is Lyman ( http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/ )~ Do NOT be fooled by their HIGH suggested retail prices.. The are about $450.00 a gun. Nice / GREAT shooting gun and, or a FUN kit!

They make the Great Plains Hunter... It has two barrel options a round ball barrel with a slower twist (My personal favorite in a .54) and a fast twist barrel for connicals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second J.D. on midsouth. If you're so inclined, they sell the lyman kit for $365 for the GPR and less for the Trade rifle. Shipping is $22 to Oregon, so not too bad. They ship pretty quickly.
My local dealer sells the lyman GPR for $700 and the kit for $600. I debated between the GPR and a kit from Track of the Wolf (about $250-300 more) but decided I can add a curly maple stock at a later date if I so decide.

T.C.'s warranty applies to both the origional purchaser, and any one else who buys the gun. So A used T.C. actually has a better warrenty than a new gun from other manufacters.I like American made guns and T.C.,s warranty justifies the cost in my humble opinion. But the Cabelo's guns have not had any problems that I know of and some are made by Perdoseli.

40 Flint said:

And PM me for a link to this ad.

.50 caliber x 70" twist Green Mountain percussion blued barrel, 32" long. 1" across the flats to fit a TC Renegade or 1" Hawkens.
An old barrel that's new in the box. This barrel is from before they put sights on the replacement drop-ins.
$150 money order includes postage to the lower 48.

.50 caliber TC Renegade percussion blued barrel, used in nice condition. 27"-28" long standard TC barrel with 48" twist.
$80 money order includes postage to the lower 48.

.50 caliber x 28" twist Green Mountain percussion barrel, 28" long. In the 1" across the flats to fit a TC Renegade or 1" Hawkens.
Another old barrel that's new in the box. This barrel is from before they put sights on the replacement drop-ins.
$100 money order includes postage to the lower 48.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are interested in Hawken style rifles then I would recommend the Lyman Trade rifle, which you can find new for around $330 if you look, plus they are excellent second hand deals. For more of a Kentucky style long rifle then look for a used Blue Ridge or similar.

i would go with the Lyman GPR! got 2 of them here and they are really bitchen guns! both of the ones i have a flint. and for the money its the closest thing you can get to a real "hawken" with out breaking the bank!

I'm also with J.D. and vote for the Lyman. I have two .54 Lyman GPRs, one flint and one percussion. Both have the 1 in 60" twist barrels and are tack drivers with round balls out to 100 yards. If you want something a little less, look at the Lyman Trade Rifle. With the 1 in 48" twist barrel, it should do well with round balls and conicals. I also have a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge flinter, from Cabela's, that is the same as the Pedersoli Frontier. Lyman offers the best value for the dollar :thumbsup:

So its sound like a lot of positive feedback on the Lyman GPR. As for the different models, one comes in 1-32" twist (hunter model) and the other in 1-60" twist. Could someone chime in on the +/- of the two? Thanks for the advice.

TAH said:
So its sound like a lot of positive feedback on the Lyman GPR. As for the different models, one comes in 1-32" twist (hunter model) and the other in 1-60" twist. Could someone chime in on the +/- of the two? Thanks for the advice.
i'd rather shoot the 1=60. a round ball is cheaper to shoot, and just as deadly out to 100 yards

karwelis said:
TAH said:
i'd rather shoot the 1=60. a round ball is cheaper to shoot, and just as deadly out to 100 yards

EXACTLY!!! EVERYTHING about it is easier, cheaper, gooder to 100 yards. IM speaking of the .54 here. IF I were in a position to shoot bigger critters at longer distances then the connical might have some more merrit. If I we are talking a .50 I would be more split on a decision.

I recommend the .54 with 1:60 twist. I have one and base the recommendation on personal experience. Bigger balls are better. :wink: The .54 barrel is a little lighter than the .50. A well placed .54 ball will kill anything you're likely to hunt. I took my first flintlock buck with mine last November at 88 yards (I'm still grinning).

TAH said:

Also, with the GPR, you can purchase either barrel initially and later add the other for a switch if you want to shoot conicals. I've just purchased a kit and anxiously waiting! I plan on adding a GPR-hunter barrel in the future to try with the conicals.

I plan on adding a GPR-hunter barrel in the future to try with the conicals.

That was my plan too Sinner, when I got my round ball barreled GP in 2008. After 2+ years of shooting the .54 ball I lost my desire for a conical barrel. Just can't see the need.

After years of playing around with these things I've come to the personal conclusion that if you want to shoot conicals you ought to go with a fast twist .45. I've found my 1:30 twist GM barreled Renegade is just the thing for conicals.

Yep! I go prb all the way, CK. And don't sell yourself short; that prb beats the conical hands down and kills game expeditiously out way past 100 yards. You know that from experience, my friend. :bow:

karwelis said:
TAH said:
Not only is it cheaper, it's lighter in recoil. This will give you an edge on accuracy. Just can't beat a .54 caliber ball :thumbsup:

Back