• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Practical Distance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Cook

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this question is very subjective and I'm not looking to start a fight but....

What is a practical distance for a smooth bore flintlock rifle, 42", 36" and a 30" barrel? How close would the grouping be?

This will probably get moved to the smoothbore forum because your asking about smoothbores,but anyway...
For me that group would vary according to the day but for some folks I have seen them punch really nice groups at a rondezvous.As far as distance,I wouldn't expect alot past 50 yards,good groups would be attainable but most of that has to do with the shooter.It would seem that the longer barrels would stabalize the ball better,all i got to compare is a 42" fowler that I really have shot much in the past couple years ( I got some lock work that needs to be done to improve it's reliablity.

Hello and welcome to the forum! You will get many answers over this oft asked question. Using a patched round ball, typically out to 150 yards for a rifled barrel, one can produce very good groups. For a smooth bore, about fifty yards. Much of it depends on the individual's ability, the correct patch/ball combination, lube used, cleaning between shots (or not), how well the barrel is made, will all be factors. The larger the caliber, the less wind will affect its flight.

Theres no reason why you can't do this at 25 yards. Mine is a 32" .12ga with a rear sight made for deer hunting only. And I can generally cover all shots at 50 yards with my hand. A smoothbore with just a front site should be able to do the same if you do everything the same every time.

neballtarget2.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Jim. IMHO 50 to 75 yards with 5 shot groups the size of, say, a salad plate would do quite nicely for deer and of course larger critters. Smaller is great but not necessary.

I had one with a 42" barrel that shot nearly as well as a rifle. Out to 100 yards I always hit what I shot at.

JC, there are many things to consider, benched or offhand, sighted or unsighted, the main one is the ability of the shooter to load correctly and
his ability to shoot well. A well built smoothie will outshoot most shooters.
Last Tues. the snow was melted off the Mt. enough for me to get up to about 9000 ft. I took my .50 flint smoothie for Rockchucks. !st one was 85 yds.
and I could see the whole body, next 5 were just heads and a little shoulder sticking out from behind rocks but about 45 to 50 yds. 6 shots 6 chucks all offhand, no rear sight and believe me that .50 ball at 1650fps does a # on them. It's up to you learn to shoot them and they will do everything you need them to do.
Deadeye

I used to shoot fowling guns exclusively for several years. I was very comfortable with them out to about 75 yards. I found that generally the smaller bores shoot better than the large bores. My favorite round ball smooth bore is a long barreled 28 bore. I have seen some guys shoot 24 bores well, but accuracy generally starts to fall off when you get to a 20 bore, I'd keep deer shots with the 20 bore and up to 50 yards and under.

I find 40-50yds is easy enough to find a load that'll get small game and larger game.

Smoothbores should not be compaired to rifles in my opinion, they stand alone on their own merits.

Shot or ball they have the field covered. This side of fifty and you will put the ball where it needs to be :hatsoff:

Brits.

Back