• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pennsylvania rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade Dan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase my first flintlock rifle, it's a Traditions Pennsylvania flintlock rifle for 475.00 rarely used. I've heard from a few people that they wouldn't own a Trad. Pa rifle. I can't afford a custom built rifle, but I don't want a piece of junk either. any input on traditions pa rifles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think if you could get that price down to $400-425 you would like it even more.475 is not much less than new. They can be decent rifles for what they are. Don't let the poo-pooers here disparage the Traditions. They will shoot quite well, maybe not with as much style as a custom build, but shoot they will.

At worst the lock may need a little tuning and I agree $400-425 sounds better as long as it's in great shape. I own two Traditions rifles and they have more than paid their keep by being great game-getters.

I am in agreement with the two previous posts. $475 is too much and don’t pay any attention to the folks that are negative. There are guys here that will help you with positive input.

Definatly get the price as low as possible when buying a gun very low in the historical authenticity department as this can effect any resale value....The Mercyless BUZZKILL.... not to be confuesed with the Great Pineyone

It always amazes me when people just can't get past 500 bucks. I'm on a fixed income but when you have at least a years wait for a descent maker to get to your build, you can not only save a bit more in that time but I'm sure theres things that can be found and parted with. Sell a few things. There are a number of ways and things one can do to beef up that 500 bucks and the next thing you know you have that special gun you always wanted.

Dan, if you like it get it. Only gotta suit yourself. You can upgrade later if you want. I got expensive firearms and inexpensive firearms. No rules saying you can,t have and enjoy both

What I don’t understand on this forum is why other people decide what is “that special gun you always wanted.” Possibly this is that gun, its not for us to say.
I totally agree squirrellluck , if Dan wants it so be it. I am happy for him.

ebiggs said:
What I don’t understand on this forum is why other people decide what is “that special gun you always wanted.” Possibly this is that gun, its not for us to say.

Hey man whatever floats your boat but tossing out a few ideas so people can decided whats best for them isn't a bad thing either.

Swampy said:
ebiggs said:

Hey man whatever floats your boat but tossing out a few ideas so people can decided whats best for them isn't a bad thing either.
I'm with Swampy, if that's the gun ya just gotta have, go for it. I have always had more expensive tastes, so I tend to save and wheel and deal for what I want. Takes longer, but I'm always happy with what I get....untill the next "gotta have" comes along!. :haha:

"What I don’t understand on this forum is why other people decide what is “that special gun you always wanted.” Possibly this is that gun, its not for us to say."

The original post was a queation many answers were given some by knowledgable longtime users of quality guns and some from those who have not been in the quality ML loop long if at all and just feel the need to answer every post that appears, no one decided what the best gun Dan ever wanted was many just questioned the one he mentioned and rightly so if we are going to consider all types/levels of guns,the final choice will be his no matter what those who are knowledgable say or what the others say like "you only have to suit yourself" or "do what you want" if this type of thinking was on his mind he would not have likley bothered to ask and learn more about the gun he was considering, it is quite honorable to try and protect and help others but one must have enough knowledge on the subject to do so effectively....The MercyLess BUZZKILL, the narcistic all knowing one of things of a ML nature.

My first flinter was a Traditions PA. I gave into
the impulse. It was a piece of junk. Nothing
but trouble. Now it hangs on the wall. :(
TR

For a few dollars more, you can get a Lyman Great Plains flint. I ordered mine last Friday and FedEx is delivering it tomorrow. $500.98 shipped. Got it from Thegunsource in Green Bay,Wis.

You hear both pros and cons on the same gun from different owners. Maybe the variable is the owner, not the gun. I've had great luck with every Traditions and the one CVA I've owned and hunted with, but they were percussion. Even high quality American flint locks of the same model will vary from lock to lock; one not so good, the other super great. I suspect this is even more so with the European locks. On a Traditions the flint lock itself would be my only "possible" cause of concern. Most likely it would be fine but there could be a chance it might need tuning or even replacing. As I mentioned before if the rifle's price can be niggled down, then it should be a good buy.

And, not to anyone in particular; be cautious lest ye be hoisted on your own petard. I've seen this occur with a few "cons" who posted.

Not in response to Hanshi...my old friend. But to the way this thread has turned..

One of the best .32 cal guns that I ever owned was also one of my first. It was a Traditions. Countless ball went down range and it was always gratifying how well that gun gun shot. I can remember times of introducing new shooters to the sport of ML with that very gun. Brings a smile to my face to know that it belongs to a grandchild. :wink:

So, that said... I also own custom and semi-custom .32's. Some by very well known makers to this forum. None will outshoot my grandson's gun that I gifted him. :blah:

I'm a real gunsnob... the truth be told. Got some really name guns. So What! Doesn't make me or them a better shooter.

All I know is that I own a Pedersoli Frontier in .45 that will outshoot my other custom made guns on any range ~ on any day!

Go figure.....

It's not about Who, It's not about Why....It's not about How....

It's about that one gun that melds into the hands of one shooter.. And that will never be beat, no matter how much money is spent or who's makers name in on the gun....

Swampy,

He's askin' in the OP if the price is within' reason and if the gun is of reasonable quality, not junk.

I could recommend that he get in touch with Hershal House...and have a gun built by a Master of the trade, but that wouldn't answer his original post... :bow:

My point is that it doesn't matter how much you spend or on who...

It boils down to the gun and the affinity to the shooter....

Back