• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And by the looks of the triggerguard that is a Deer Creek mountain rifle, not the original CVA. Of course most of the parts are from CVA inventory. Also is the lock round back or pointed? I can't tell from the picture. The Deer creek also used the round back lock.

Im surprised at what those mountain rifles are going for. I built mine 22 years ago, it's a .54. I had to do quite a bit of boogering around with the mechanical interactions between the set triggers and the lock because the inletting was cut too deeply and threw off the geometry. Wanting to remain "authentic", I refused to use Acraglass or JB Weld and spent way more time insuring that I did indeed have a "cussed 'em" rifle.
It shoots like a dream with round balls. I never was too impressed with conical performance out of the gun. But I prefer shooting patched balls anyway.

I don’t have $4000 dollar, or even a $3000 dollar flintlock but if I did, what would it do that my $300 TC doesn’t? Just curious.

ebiggs said:
I don’t have $4000 dollar, or even a $3000 dollar flintlock but if I did, what would it do that my $300 TC doesn’t? Just curious.

Prehaps nothing but I suspect that it would shoot "as well as" a " $150.00 T/C."
The quote however wasnt a $300.00 T/C it was a $150.00 T/C....Implying a 26", 1in48 twist production barrel that supposedly will OUTSHOOT a 36" in 1 in 60 custom barrel. REALLY?!?!??! :hmm: :haha: :haha: :haha:

The CVA kit I put together in the 70's had a patch box.It was a 50 cal. I shot several deer with it before it was stolen from me.

Mark Lewis said:
I've owned several $3000.00-$4000.00 muzzleloaders built by the best in the country. None of the shot as well as my $150.00 T/C Hawken.

I'm glad T/C's work out for you, after all they hit the market as a compromise for shooting roundballs or conicals, thats what made them so successful, either side (roundball shooters or the conical crowd)could pick a TC up and use it for there intended purpose, plus they were fairly priced.

I'm not going to blast you for the above statement because it is painted to broad to comment on.

All the people I know who bought a high end muzzleloader and could not get it to shoot were too ignorant to be successful, they just didn't know how, and theres no harm in that, once shown the proper steps and procedures most were very happy with there purchases.

30 years ago I may have agreed somewhat with you to some extent, I remember many times we had to really look over barrels for run out, and breech the worst end, but not so much today, most barrel makers today make a very fine product.

Locally I see on a classified site some one is selling a CVA Big Bore in 58 caliber.The seller claims that it is similar to a Mountain Rifle and that they only made 400 of these in .54 and .58 caliber.It has a browned finish comes with 2 Lee molds,a real bullet and a round ball mold.Asking price is $350.Is this a good price?Thanks in advance.

I've beaten 40+ good rifle shooters with my 20 gauge smooth bore. I know how muzzleloaders work. My point was simply this. Expensive and well known doesn't always equal better or even good.

My question was sincere and not meant to be taken maliciously. I am generally curious about what a $4000 or $3000 dollar custom would benefit me. I concede the beauty aspect. Plus I prefer flintlocks and it really looks like they dominate the custom market anyway, maybe not. I have learned to “master” flintlocks, muzzelloading in general since I do shoot several cap locks. This after a fairly bumpy start. I am not a great shot and never will be and have no intention to do competition. So just what will a $4000 dollar custom do for me?

An expensive gun, may not do anything at all for you. Nothing wrong with the store bought guns like CVA,T/C,Traditions, etc., if that is what makes you happy. It is the same thing with modern guns, cars and even tools. Some just like to reach out to a different level of item. It may be more period correct, better materials, intricate carving or engraving or just the knowledge that this is as close as possible as to what a person would have used in the time period that you like. These expensive guns can be just a pride in ownership thing or a purchase or build to have what they can have. Again, it is the same as with modern guns, cars or tools. Everyone has a reason to have what they have for a reason that makes them happy.

If it's a CVA Big Bore it should be their Mountain Rifle. I don't know if they made a Hawken in .58 cal.! The Big Bore Mt. Rifle will have double wedge pins, pewter nosecap and steel buttplate. No Patchbox. If it has a good bore and looks like it's been cared for I would buy it in a heartbeat if I wanted one!

ebiggs said:
My question was sincere and not meant to be taken maliciously. I am generally curious about what a $4000 or $3000 dollar custom would benefit me. I concede the beauty aspect. Plus I prefer flintlocks and it really looks like they dominate the custom market anyway, maybe not. I have learned to “master” flintlocks, muzzelloading in general since I do shoot several cap locks. This after a fairly bumpy start. I am not a great shot and never will be and have no intention to do competition. So just what will a $4000 dollar custom do for me?

A custom gun is like a high end auto....Will it do MORE for you then a simple sedan? If point A to point B is the goal maybe not (substitute taking game here) BUT...a Bentley, lamborghini , Lotus, etc ARE more then just a pretty paint job and I would certianly expext them to get me there as well as a simple sedan. I know :dead: but the original comment was that a $4000.00 gun would NOT shoot as well as a $150.00 gun; Thats like saying a Bentley Rolls Royce wont drive as well as a a Frord Pinto. SO we have traveled full circle to :bull: :wink:
As with most of the finer things in life, IF you can afford one you buy it not only for the beauty but also for the preformance. Otherwise you would be a fool for paying $4000.00 for a gun when you could simply restock that old T/C with some #5 curley maple from pecitonica for about $350.00.

Ghettogun said:
And by the looks of the triggerguard that is a Deer Creek mountain rifle, not the original CVA. Of course most of the parts are from CVA inventory. Also is the lock round back or pointed? I can't tell from the picture. The Deer creek also used the round back lock.

i used a deer creek trigger guard, it allows for a heavy gloved trigger finger. Pointy lock.

My dad built a 58 capper somewhere around 78-79. He shot it a dozen times and hung it under a deer mount where it resides today. I shot it a little and remember a tight spot about half way down the barrel. I tried to "work" it out with valve grinding compound, flitz, etc-- never seemed to get any better. I ended up breaking the set trigger and put it back under the ol deer mount. I want to get a trigger for it, any ideas or should I just send it to Track of Wolf for them to match one up for me? I liked the rifle but it was a PIA to start and ram the ball. Knowing more nowadays, I'm sure a patch change would cure the hard start and the tight spot never seemed to make a difference on the point of impact. Oh yea, the rifle did not like conicals. I missed a deer at 30 yards with it. Changed back to a round ball and patch--harvested (maybe) the same deer three hours later.

Latest posts

Back