• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Guy North of the 49th

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwb06

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All
Just an older new guy joining in. Hope to meet a few fellas into blackpowder shooting. I own but one gun. A 54 Cal. Fullstock Flintlock Hawken built for me in '79. Been away for too many years.Shot my Flinter late last fall and the bug is back. Hoping to kindle an interest from my two grandsons. :surrender:

Welcome ! lots of folks here that will help you build up the fire . How about some phhotos of the rifle ? :thumbsup:

Welcome to the MLF and glad to hear you found that black powder bug again. I'm sure it won't take long to get your grandsons infected also.

Thanks for the the get back. My Flinter is a Full stock Hawken curly maple stock, 54 cal 36 inch Bill Large barrel, Cain Double set triggers, L&R Lock, fixed sights, 9 lb 10oz, 14-1/4 pull. Loads with .231gr cast lead ball, .018 cotten denim patch and my own receipe for moose milk. 60gr of 3f at 25 yds, 70gr of 3f at 50 yds, 90gr at 100yds and 140gr at 200yd. I met Bill at friendship in 1979 when I got the barrel and he recommended those loads in his barrel, and he was bang on. Will get some pic's up soon as possible. :v

Hey, How you doin' I gotta bet you like Hawken rifles. Don't live far from 1/2 hour drive. Live in Stoney Creek, East side of Hamilton. Shoot at Silverdale downby Smithville. Look at my other reply ref. mine. :v

Thanks, Plink You are a fair piece from here and Texas is a big state as well. Closest been that way is Tampa.Fl :v

Hope so, One grandson is interested for sure, but my only ML is bigger than he is. 11 yrs old but he gonna be a big guy. His dad is 6'3" and mom (my Daughter) is 5' 9" :v

Welcome to the forum!

I helped my best friend teach his little boys the fundamentals of shooting.They were fascinated with our flintlocks which were way too heavy and long. We set the guns up with front and rear supports so all they had to do was sight down the barrel and pull the trigger. We had them stand on a chair to "help" us load. (Wish we had some photos of that.) That really set the hook. We continued their training with little single shot 22 rifles but the MLs were the spark. (Pun intended.)

The boys are out of college now and working but they still enjoy shooting when we can all get to the range.

Best of luck with your grandkids.

Jeff

Back