• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

G.Noack in berlin pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredrader

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine had someone try to sell him a muzzleloader percussion postol today and the only writing on it was G.Noack of berlin..I asked for pics but they havent arrived yet but I will post them when I get them..It is supposed to be .40-.45 cal and scroll work all over it in the metal and the wood and he said it looked great (and old)..The guy didn't know what he wanted for it and my buddy has no idea what to offer him for it so he directed it to me..I have no idea either since all I have delt with are reproduction's..I searched and found a couple long guns and a couple pinfire revilvers he ingraved but still don't have any idea how much to offer him for it..Any Ideas??

I have no clue as to value of course but I did find something on the maker. percussion pistol set This is a breechloading pistol. The one you are asking about may be too. That's my logic anyway.

This one (I finally got)Has an adjustable sight like I have never seen before..Here is a bunch of pic's..If anyone could share any info at all it will be appreciated.I was wondering what year,who made it etc and maybe a value..I took pics of all the markings and the one in the circle(Oval) has E on the top L on the left and G on the right and a star(I think) on the bottom.I removed the nipple but it is fine..The bore looks to be close to a .50cal..
GNoackinBerlin001.jpg

GNoackinBerlin003.jpg

GNoackinBerlin004.jpg

GNoackinBerlin005.jpg

GNoackinBerlin006.jpg

GNoackinBerlin007.jpg

GNoackinBerlin008.jpg

GNoackinBerlin018.jpg

GNoackinBerlin017.jpg

GNoackinBerlin015.jpg

GNoackinBerlin014.jpg

GNoackinBerlin013.jpg

GNoackinBerlin012.jpg

GNoackinBerlin010.jpg

GNoackinBerlin019.jpg

GNoackinBerlin021.jpg

GNoackinBerlin023.jpg

GNoackinBerlin029.jpg

GNoackinBerlin030.jpg

GNoackinBerlin031.jpg

GNoackinBerlin032.jpg

GNoackinBerlin034.jpg

GNoackinBerlin033.jpg

Sir - ELG over star in an oval is the proof-mark of Liege, Belgium. I have found a reference to another gun, this time a pin-fire revolver with a folding trigger on sale at the Horst Held Auction House in the USA - see -

Horst Held Antique Handguns

e-mail [email protected]
phone 972-775-8704 fax 972-775-3553
541 Lynnie Pennie Lane Midlothian, Texas 76065

Here is the text that accompanies the images of a rather crude-looking folding trigger pinfire revolver -

G. Noack in Berlin-inscribed pin fire revolver, caliber 7mm, frame and 6-shot cylinder deeply engraved, crisp checkered grips, typical folding trigger, on left side # 6 930. According to the ELG proof stamp made in Belgium and finished By Noack for sale on the Prussian/German marked. Like very common for the pin fire revolvers the function is slightly disturbed, otherwise a rare revolver with Berlin marking, and in fine condition. $550.

So you can see that Noak/Noack was not a gunmaker, but a gun finisher to the trade, buying in his components from what was then arguably one of the best sources in Europe of high-grade but low-priced gun components.

The screw action of the backsight is almost identical to that found on my Pedersoli Kuechenreuter replica, BTW.

It is a VERY nice piece that any right-thinking BP shooter would be proud to own.

tac

Cool,I have no idea about how to tell new from old on these things,I was hoping to find out when it was made etc..I posted on the pistol forum a question if it is safe to shoot with this kind of brl on it..Thanks for the info

Tac,I found the proof mark list and took a pic of it..Mine does not have the crown on top so it is British (England) I guess ??..It said 1811-1891 does that mean mine was made then???
GNoackinBerlin037.jpg

GNoackinBerlin038.jpg

It appears to be a big brother to my Belgian pistol.
Pistol4.jpg

Pistol2.jpg

Pistol1.jpg

I etched the barrel and it proved to be the Damascus that it appears to be.
All of the furniture is German Silver and the grip cap is similar to yours but the engraving is a bit different.

I probably paid too much for it a few years ago but I kinda liked it so I gave the seller $250.

Zonie,They look like brothers for sure..What proof marks are on yours ??? What caliber is yours ??
Does yours have the adjusting screw in front of the trigger??

Sir - please re-read my post - ELG, with the usual star, are the actual initials of the town/city of Liege in Belgium, where the barrel of your pistol was made. I can clearly see the ELG over star stamp on your barrel. That barrel WAS made in Liege.

It was then, and still is, the centre of arms manufacturing in Belgium, and home to Fabrique Nationale [FN] of Herstal who employed the genius of John Moses Browning in their designs of over fifty years.

British proof marks are nothing at all like Belgian proof marks - Please look at the top two lines of the document you have copied - THEY are British proof marks of Birmingham and London.

Your pistol dates from at least the middle 1840's, perhaps even later, but no later than 1853. Since you have told us that it is the only stamp of its kind, my treatise on European proofmarks indicates that your barrel was stamped with this mark as the sole proof mark. The use of a single mark lasted until 1853, when it became the mark for definitive proof, accompanied by other stamps of various types.

It is percussion and was never a flintlock - the style of the pistol is far too modern for it to have been a flintlock at any time.

A simplified and slightly flatter oval came into use after 1846 - this mark was used on barrels in the rough state and then exported elsewhere - as would be the case since your pistol was finished in Berlin by Herr Noack.

The calibre of your pistol is clearly stamped on the breech - 18 millimetres - .70" bore if you use Imperial measurements. This too is in accord with the proofhouse rules of Liege between 1810 and 1894.

tac

That explains it perfectly..I really appreciate all your help and now I know exactly what I have..Thanks again for all your help.. :thumbsup:

Back