• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vinegar-cotton rope finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smo said:
I like it ! Did you just do navel jelly on the sights?

Yes... naval jelly on sights-under rib and rr pipes

Now I been thinking-if I go back over and offset the rope wrap to cover the areas not etched.I would get 100% barrel etch :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: Oh the maddness :shocked2: :youcrazy: :idunno: :rotf:

Here's a picture of the 4 barrel finishes I have from top to bottom..
---latest vinegar rope
---LMF rust brown
---Rust brown-my buddies mix-he won't give it up-he does a lot of work for Colt.
---Green Mountain factory-bluing
---First rope-vinegar finish

IMG_0775.jpg

Razor62 said:
Just wondering if anyone's tried a slow rust blue or brown over this "vinegar effect"? I'd love to see the results as this may be just what I'm looking to achieve on my next project. I really like the pattern. As close to Damascus as is necessary to satisfy me.

Razor-I did a test spot under the under rib of the other barrel- LMF-rust brown did nothing to enhance the etched finish.
I would rust blue after the etch-not rust brown.

i would very much like to know more about this finish. is this all the finish that is applyed to the metal? does this stop the rust when taken out in the weather? how long does this finish stand up?

i know...questions questions...im larnin hare.

this would fit very nicely with my idea on my current gpr that im assembling. [ my 3rd ] i would like this one to be special as i will someday present it to my son and want it to be a step apart but dont want something that will rust down in the closet if ignored for a spell.

thanks

bigted said:
i would very much like to know more about this finish. is this all the finish that is applyed to the metal? does this stop the rust when taken out in the weather? how long does this finish stand up?

this would fit very nicely with my idea on my current gpr that im assembling. [ my 3rd ] i would like this one to be special as i will someday present it to my son and want it to be a step apart but dont want something that will rust down in the closet if ignored for a spell.

thanks

I dont know the specifics of this finish other then it WILL be pagerized! BUT...... NO finish will "bulet proof" a barrel. On the other hand proper care and maintence will protect most anything. My point is that a day in the rain wont hurt IF the gun is wiped down and oiled a the end of the day, (You would want to do that with a blued or stainless barrel too!) and a barrel that is put away for a spell sould be well oiled as well (Ditto blued and stainless barrels here also)...
Bottom line, cared for well and I bet that this barrel will do just fine!

makeumsmoke said:
Frank--thank you for the the shared info-sounds interesting

SMO--Thanks.. found out the 40 cal gm doesn't like an OxYoke wad in the load column..just the lubed patch.got 2" at 100 yesterday--on the bench.windy we hit 78 degrees-normal 48 go-figure!.. here it is--27" 56 cal. T/C smoothie-degreased in brake cleaner-rinse-dry-naval jellied-rinsed dried-wrapped with 1/4" cotton made rope--(39 feet)-braided.... soaked rope in red wine vinegar 6 hours...left on barrel for 24 hours..added vinegar 3 or 4 times..turned horizontal barrel 5 to 6 times .
this barrel looks great as compared to when I bought it..previous owner removed the bluing and tried to age it?the etching is darker than the picture tells-think it's the flash

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

OUT~FREAKING~STANDING!!!!

bigted said:

thanks

Clean-oil-shoot-clean oil-shoot..........

Wattsy...either you like the finish or you hate it.... there is no in between. Very simple to do..It has enhanced my like for and in the white finish.I hunt and prefer a dull or no shine barrel.

bigted said:

thanks
well,,,,,,, i'll tell you what, im fairly abusive to this rifle, i never wipe finger prints off, i just take it out and shoot the snot out of it (like 600+ balls int 2 years). i use it for a walking stick, and its my "go to" rifle for trekking and hard out back kind of stuff. all i do is once a year i wipe down the barrel and metal parts with a 5 weight cutting oil. like one person said, no finish is bullet proof, but this comes close.

very cool. guess im gonna give it a try. nothing ventured...nothing gained as they say. this rope finish is just super but i think i will try smaller rope maybe 1/8 inch cotton and wash it first to get the starch out before i try the soak in red vin. thanks and again before i go id like to say thanks for makin a newbee feel welcome

bigted said:
very cool. guess im gonna give it a try. nothing ventured...nothing gained as they say. this rope finish is just super but i think i will try smaller rope maybe 1/8 inch cotton and wash it first to get the starch out before i try the soak in red vin. thanks and again before i go id like to say thanks for makin a newbee feel welcome

you might want to try just plain old white vinager from t4he grocery store, thats what i used

BT..as long as there is some braiding in the rope you should get some pattern to the etching--I tried 1/8" yarn and it failed..mostly because is was not made from 100% cotton..Good luck with your finish..keep us posted pass or fail....Dan

barrel002-1.jpg
[/quote]

Karwelis- any chance of getting a close up of this barrel etching finish?..Its just you and SMO that have responded with pic's of this finish...would like to see the pattern....Thanks in advance....Dan

makeumsmoke said:

Karwelis- any chance of getting a close up of this barrel etching finish?..Its just you and SMO that have responded with pic's of this finish...would like to see the pattern....Thanks in advance....Dan
[/quote]

well it doesnt show well in pics but heres what i got. it a subtle pattern which i like.
barrel001-1.jpg

Makemsmoke,look up "mustard" in the search feature. Mazo Kid has a post there about a year ago which i like also. :thumbsup: I'm close to doing the .62 cal GM smoothbore and still thinking about the burlap or maybe fire cloth used in welding operations it has a fairly tight weave to it.

Smo- have you seen the flame resistant blankets..very course weave..I use them at work soildering on lead cable sheaths.
Thanks for the heads up on the mustard post will check it out.-
SMo- this finish is not forever- the best part of -all you'd have to do is draw file the barrel and back to in the white.
Good luck on your decision.

Back