• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock shooters are speshul

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Pepperbelly, When I go shootin fer fun there's always a rock-lok or two goin' along. But, I want you to enjoy that Garand, From a different ERA than flinters, but packing a whole lotta history just the same.
Jon

Plus, even for people who do not know anything about flintlocks, when you shoot one---the spectacle of it---always makes people happy. And the straightforward simplicity of the method is what makes people marvel more. Yes and we flintlock shooters are speshul because, as stated, we educate and entertain with our hobby/passion. So, you could also say: we are more useful..... :grin: :thumbsup:

I remember pretty much the same experience -- took my ML to the lease and caught hell -- "Get A REAL MAN'S GUN!"
Well, that evening and eleven points (We add up both sides in Texas :grin: ) later -- and the ONLY deer taken -- I just sat and enjoyed my beer.
Nothing more was said.
:blah:

I would imagine the satisfaction in taking game with a flintlock is about the same as winning a match or shooting a really good group with my handloads- probably better.
I don't hunt, but hopefully soon I will get some time to take my flinter out. I have been very busy with family lately and have had very little time for shooting. In fact I only managed to sight in the Garand Easter Sunday afternoon. My match is this saturday. I have had it for a month.
I don't even want to think of how far behind I am on .45acp. I have a match with it next Saturday.

Jim

I live on a road that I hear the "Boomers" coming and then going, hear them way to long and at 1 or 2am I wish it was allowable to shoot them. :shake:

Sadly at my range there are just a handful that shoot black powder and 90% of them are younger crowd with the super duper zip guns. When I do go early in the morning, for the reason of being by ourselves, we usually get two to three hours by ourselves, then the "Black rifle crowd" shows up.

I get a bunch of ooh's and ahh's checking my guns out and from time to time one is brave enough to try one out but our club is big into a "Rattle Battle" shoot once a month so they show up ready for their business and when you get two or three black rifles shooting next to ya, it's time to go.

It's sad my club don't show more interest in the old guns and we definately are a minority. :idunno:

Swampy our club doesn't have many muzzleloaders either, but they are all friendly there.
I think the biggest kick I got out of one was a few years ago. I had a TC Hawken then. I was at the range and let a few rounds fly. Our junior rifle team was just finishing up and a lot of them were watching me. I asked their parents permission then let them shoot. I burned a lot of powder, but those kids had a blast.
Our club has a mix of shooters- black rifle, hunting, sillouette shooters, percision shooters, etc. We make sure everyone gets along. That used to be a problem, so I ran and was elected to the board of directors. I can help ensure every discipline can enjoy the range.
Jim

Yeah, flintlocks are just as important as any modern gun. If one looks down upon your muzzleloader, you can just as easily ask why they are shooting a "primative" bolt action or semiauto made of steel and wood when there are newer guns made out of aluminum, carbon fiber, and having some fancy action.

You will see my flintlock alongside my AKM clone, M1 Garand, Mauser, etc.

When I go shooting, I start with my most modern gun, the AR-15, and then proceed backwards through time until I get around to my flintlock. I like to save the best for last.

Many have reported the opposite. The added concentration and back of the mind preparation that there will be a flash with a flint lock results in NO FLINCH and more "follow through". Some one once told me when shooting flintlock---"squeeze the trigger and let your mind go dead."

No FLINCH.

Flintlocks rule the earth!

Scientists say that the human brain( mind) never stops "thinking", altho you can get some arguments about some of the people walking this Earth. :rotf:

The mind cannot go " dead". However, if you concentrate not just on the front sight, but on an imagined Line down the Middle of the front sight, be it a post, or post and bead, or even a globe front sight, your concentration will carry you through the actually firing of the shot, including the sparking of the frizzen, and the ignition of the flash powder in the pan. Giving your mind something to do you WANT it to do, and that aids you in hitting you target, is preferable to trying to do something the brain can't do.

I ask students if they are seeing the PRB coming out of the muzzle in front of their front sight, and/or seeing flame and smoke there just before the gun recoils? If they can see those things, they are not only sighting the gun properly, but they are also doing the first parts of the "follow through" correctly, too. If you can see the PRB leave the muzzle, you should be able to "call" the shot, ie. tell where your sights were aligned on the target at the instant that the shot left the barrel.

NO ONE holds perfect 10-Xs every shot, all the time. Sometimes a shooter puts them altogether at a match and shoots a "possible"(perfect) score. But, no one does it all the time.

Zoar said:
Many have reported the opposite. The added concentration and back of the mind preparation that there will be a flash with a flint lock results in NO FLINCH and more "follow through". Some one once told me when shooting flintlock---"squeeze the trigger and let your mind go dead."

No FLINCH.

Flintlocks rule the earth!

Right on, those new to flintlocks have to get out of their head that flash to the side. Concentrate on your target and a good quality gun, theres no flinch. :thumbsup:

This is my theory...

Hi. My name is Zoar and I am a Pyromaniac.

I love the flash. I am not afraid of it. I can't wait to see it in my field of vision even though my focus is on the front sight and target. I have my eyes open.

Those of us who also love "Pyro" are destined to love Flintlock shooting.

I think that might explain those occasional fireworks and the cannon shots that occur from time to time...

Back