• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Video - Lodestar Loading System

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-----what is the big hurry ?--I could load that fast with my powder flask-BUT-whats the hurry--if in a hurry why not make a dispenser that drops the ball right on top of powder as the powder is dispensed----- :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

Just another example of people trying to MODERNIZE the muzzleloader. What's the point? It's like dropping a V-8 in a Model T Ford. It's no longer a Model T. :shake:

Carl Davis said:
Just another example of people trying to MODERNIZE the muzzleloader. What's the point? It's like dropping a V-8 in a Model T Ford. It's no longer a Model T. :shake:
Some people want to shoot muzzleloaders, but they really can't handle the process. They have to make it easier for themselves. It's kind of like people who think "camping" is staying in a Winnebago. :rotf:

That loader is very interesting. I guess the maker could make a longer "drop" for the powder to pre-measure into so that a higher charge could be obtained. Not sure how accurate the charge "throw" is. Also seems to me that the guy loading the Ruger Old Army isn't using enough powder, because the rammer is going all of the way down till the loading lever hits the front of the rammer's shroud. A solid clanking noise can be heard with every chamber being rammed home.

Would make an interesting piece for show & tell at the range though!

Happy Easter!

Dave

Faster yet is the Colt Paterson loader-- it has a 5 chamber spring assited loader. I have one for my Paterson but if you go buy the dang thing from Dixie expect to pay a big price for it--Pg 274 of thier 2010 catalog $125.00, and the single loader is not cheap either $42.50. I have both and it's a bugger to keep em shiny, and clean with all them moving parts. (which might be a lead in to a new thread"how you shine your brass"). I usually end up using the old reliable CVA spout. I keep the fancy Paterson spout for the pistols display. I don't even think I have any owder in it.

I guess it would save about five seconds compared to a conventional flask and doesn't appear to be easily adjusted for different charge weights.
I made one of similar design to mount on a 5 station progressive reloading press for rapid loading of blackpowder pistol cartridges.

What kind of capper is that that he's using? Anyone know? And what's that gizmo he's using to apply the grease? I prefer the wads because of the mess that the grease causes. But it did get my attention.

Chilidog said:
And what's that gizmo he's using to apply the grease? I prefer the wads because of the mess that the grease causes. But it did get my attention.

The grease dispenser appeared to consist of a large plastic syringe that was filled with petroleum jelly, and it had an angled metal tube attached.

Seams like that would be just as unsafe as loading from a flask ? If you do it that fast after shooting a round it would be even worse

Just my 2 cents worth

As the shuttle moves forward, the powder bottle appears to be completely sealed off from the metered powder charge by a sliding metal plate.
The powder charge that's loaded in the shuttle would flame straight up through its open top which shouldn't present any danger to the powder in the bottle.
Any flame would only be adjacent to the bottle which shouldn't present any problem at all.

As with any reloading of powder, it's the judgement of the operator that needs to be sound as to when it's safe to begin to do so.
Nothing is ever fool proof but I don't see any real danger that would cause the powder bottle to explode.
And beyond that only the last chamber really even comes close to being recently fired after which time is taken to inspect and clear the spent cap fragments from all of the nipples.
The device itself appears to have a safe enough design so that even a novice would be able to use it safely.

Arcticap, I agree with your thoughts.

It's an interesting gadget and seems to be fast. I'm not interested in fast when BP shooting. I can get by just fine with a CVA or TC powder measure. It looks like he is using a turkey injector with a curved nozzle but, maybe not, to grease the chambers. Wish he would clean the glob of grease off the thing between loads but I guess it would slow him down. :grin: But, as long as you are enjoying yourself that is what's important, even if you are camping in a Winnebago. :v

Imagine trying to load using this device while riding on a horse or wagon and fighting off the Indians or a gang of highway robbers like in the old days. Back then most folks would have complained that they couldn't reload fast enough! :grin:

Back