• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Still Authoritative Books?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know at one time these books were considered as being genuine sources for the material and time period represented. But I think I may have read somewhere not too long ago that they are no longer regarded as "go to" sources for genuine representation purposes. Am I remembering correctly, or are they still regarded highly?

1. The Frontier Rifleman - His guns, etc by Richard B LaCrosse Jr

2.The Madison Grant books The Knife in Homespun America and the Hunting Pouch book

Madison Grant's dating needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but they still have good pictures. There aren't that many books covering the areas he did, though - a few books on knives, only one other on the hunting pouch that I am aware of, and few if any about PLAIN powder horns - so people still read him profitably.

LaCross is looked at with some suspicion, I believe, as a goodly number of his artifacts probably date from after the Revolution.

Back