• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sights for a GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570Tom

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I acquired a used GPR in .54 that has some type of aftermarket sights on it. Not even sure they were designed for muzzleloaders. Original sights did not come with it. Haven't shot it yet. These sights might turn out to be ok, but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts as to a good muzzleloader sight that could be installed on a GPR. Thanks.

I have removed my .54-caliber GPR's sights and installed Lyman's GPR tang sight and #17 (I think) target globe front sight. The GPR-specific tang sight precisely fits the drilled & tapped holes in GPR's tang.

And I use one of the (I believe) eight front sight inserts, one of the posts, mounted upside down. This allows me to view the target/game animal at longer ranges without obscuring any part of at what I aim.

Hope this helps.

I recommend the fieber sights from "Aimright". They have metal bases and the rear sight is adjustable. I use them on all of my hunting smokepoles.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I ordered Lyman's "Hunting Sights" for the GPR. Not PC, however, they show up very well in the woods with the front white bead. Have shot excellent groups with the hunting sights.

Dixie Flinter said:
I ordered Lyman's "Hunting Sights" for the GPR. Not PC, however, they show up very well in the woods with the front white bead. Have shot excellent groups with the hunting sights.

I bought a used Lyman Trade Rifle and it had the Lyman hunting Sights on it. Like it was said they may not be traditional but my old eyes can see them better than the sights the lymans come with.

Fiber Optic would be even better but I don't think I could do that.

Naphtali said:
I have removed my .54-caliber GPR's sights and installed Lyman's GPR tang sight and #17 (I think) target globe front sight. The GPR-specific tang sight precisely fits the drilled & tapped holes in GPR's tang.

And I use one of the (I believe) eight front sight inserts, one of the posts, mounted upside down. This allows me to view the target/game animal at longer ranges without obscuring any part of at what I aim.

Hope this helps.

You might want to look at the Lee Shavers Long range inserts for the Lyman 17 globe sight. I use them on all of my rifles and they are a true long range insert. ROn

On my .54 GPR percussion, I have the GPR adjustable rear sights. On my .54 GPR flinter, I have the GPR primitive rear sight. The primitive rear sight looks better and gives me a better sight picture. I've also thought about changing the front sight to a silver blade from Track of the Wolf.

I like the Lyman primitive rear sight and the thick blade factory front. Can't stand the factory adjustable rear sight.
You have to peen the primitive sight slightly to make it fit the dovetail snugly.

I too am finding I like the primitive sight on my GPR flinter with the wide blade front sight that came with the rifle better than the adjustable buckhorn that also comes with it. I would think these would be fairly inexpensive to get from Lyman.

Ditto. I love the primitive sight that came with the rifle. ...Looks better than the factory sights too.

That's just what I did. It fits very snug and tight. Looks good and very functional. My older eyes can pick up these sights great :thumbsup:

Back