• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Build a Remington 1816

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerknoy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of the bad and not so bad discursations on the late model 1816 rifle made for Remington. But is there anyone out there that has building plans for an original 1816 Remington Rifle? To me, the style is just perfect, if you know what I golden mean.
Thanks, Mongo

I know that there are blueprints out there for specific rifles, but is there any resources for a Blueprint or drawing for the Remington "1816" style flinter?
Thanks, Mongo

The so-called "1816" Remington rifle was a fantasy from the beginning. In fact, I believe it was reconverted in 1912 because someone thought it had originally been flint when, much more likely, it was made as a percussion rifle reusing a converted lock. Remington was in the parts business. There are hundreds of rifles with Remington barrels and even some with Remington marked locks but they were all put together by gunmakers who bought the parts from R. The "reproduction" of this rifle, as sold by Remington, was pure sales hype in an effort to push their tag line "America's oldest gunmaker." The first complete guns the company offered were their cane guns and the Beals percussion pocket revolver and both of these only came on the market just before the CW. The first complete guns they built were Jenks carbines (I should check on that - I'm working from memory), again before the CW but not too long before.

Roger Knoy said:
I have heard a lot of the bad and not so bad discursations on the late model 1816 rifle made for Remington. But is there anyone out there that has building plans for an original 1816 Remington Rifle? To me, the style is just perfect, if you know what I golden mean.
Thanks, Mongo
Have you ever held one of these repros in hand? Damned ugly things..... :shake:

Way back then!
It was hard to believe that Remington would sign their name to that mess of a rifle called the Remington 1816.
I believe the same "Marketing People" were responsible for the "Coke" flavor change, back in the 70's :bull: :bull:
Don't know whatever happened to them??
Those "Remingtons" do make interesting lamp stands though :barf: :barf:
Old Ford

Are we talking about the units that hatfield and maybe some other gunmakers were contracted to make for Remington back in the 90s? I am still trying to find a picture or details on the original rifle. Google is not real helpful or I am not putting in the right inquiry.

Back