• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Blade Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonstar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used old lawn mower blades to make a knife? Just had to replace mine at a cost of 60.00 bucks. :cursing: I am trying to find a use for the old ones. Can't bare to throw em out.

That is a very interesting idea. I know a guy who repairs lawn mowers as a side business. I bet he gets a few blade replacements as part of his work. Might be an economical source for blades. Hmmm....

Lobo

Many mower blades of today are not that great as a knife steel. They are more intended to mow by blunt trauma, rather than acually cutting the grass. I would suggest hardening a sample piece, and see how hard it gets. See if it will skate a file when hardened. Also the steel and quality is going to vary from make to make. From hearsay only, one of the worst reported was a Sears blade. Would not even harden in water.

Yes, I have made a knife from a lawn mower blade. After going through all the work, I was wondering if I had wasted my time. But it hardened up quite well.

I know of a few made from them all were ok, take a pc of it and harden as Wick said and see if a file will touch it.

Or use it with the aim of refining your filing and finishing techniques for cheap as practice.

Lawn mower blades vary greatly in quality of the steel. I have had very good success using old Nickelson or Seiman files. Throw them into a red hot fire let the fire burn out over night to anneal them. Forge the blade and reharden and temper them.

Can't bare to throw em out.

Understand that. Some of these seem to be casehardened manure-steel from China. Test it like Wick says. Overall, I would refer you to the cost of 1075/1080 from Admiral Steel's web site and ask if your time is worth the risk of working with unknown steel.

Sean

I was told that the old blades from the 50's and 60's were better steel. You are right about sear's blades. I have one I hit a rock with and it folded in a twist I never could hammer out. I always wondered about the old mowers with no motor that just had the spinning head in front.

"Or use it with the aim of refining your filing and finishing techniques for cheap as practice."

I'm there as I type..........first fire in the forge today!

Latest posts

Back