• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkovire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
going shooting tomorrow, what is the best method to get the patches lubed up? making about 50 lubed patches using tc bore butter. thanks. :thumbsup:

You'll get 100 different suggestions on that question.. Here's mine.
First melt your lube. Stove, microwave or what ever. Then stack your patches and pick them up with a set of kitchen tongs and dip them in the melted lube and let them set for a minute or so. Then put the stack of dripping patches between two small flat boards and clamp tight either in a vice or with a "C" clamp and let set under pressure for a few minutes or longer and retighten if needed. This method will insure complete and uniform saturation. You'll be suprised how little lube is needed. Trust me this works very well, cause I'm picky and LAZY.. :thumbsup:

sniper68 said:
You'll get 100 different suggestions on that question.. Here's mine.
First melt your lube. Stove, microwave or what ever. Then stack your patches and pick them up with a set of kitchen tongs and dip them in the melted lube and let them set for a minute or so. Then put the stack of dripping patches between two small flat boards and clamp tight either in a vice or with a "C" clamp and let set under pressure for a few minutes or longer and retighten if needed. This method will insure complete and uniform saturation. You'll be suprised how little lube is needed. Trust me this works very well, cause I'm picky and LAZY.. :thumbsup:

Done that! it works.

thanks fellers, that,s all i needed, give about 5 and i will tell ya mho. first time doing this so i will be making a mess, more or less :rotf: :thumbsup:

ok done it now how long do i need to let them sit before storing them, and do they need to be dry, or is a little damp ok? and a little dab was more than enough! made 75 patches, that should last me a day or two :rotf: :rotf:

I like to make a bunch at a time, like a year's supply or more. What I'm not going to use in the next month or so, I vacuum pack in small units and put in the freezer till needed. :)

thanks sniper68, i will take what i will need and freezer the rest, and mark them patches not chips! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

If these "pre-lubed " patches are not vacuum sealed and frozen, bacteria will weaken the fabric in time, and the patches will not hold up well when shot. So, by all means, if you make up a year's supply, take the excess, put them in plastic bags, seal them, vaccum seal them if you can, and then freeze them. Any vegetable oil, or wax will be eaten by bacteria in time. They will also eat the cotton fibers in the process. I learned this the hard way. :thumbsup:

Just dug out an old posables bag that was set aside 15 years ago at least :p

It still had my lubed patches in there haha. What I did and still do is as discribed above about melting the lube and soaking the patches. However I stack them in empty cap tins and squeeze out the extra lube till it cools enoughto set. every patch in that tin will have the same amount of lube and they are nicely contained. Took a few out and they seem as strong as when I put them in there... But the proof will be in the shooting, so I'll have to test that next session :)

Mike Brooks said:
Buy them pre lubed.... :wink:

sign0137.gif

You're not alone Mike! I'm a Distinguished Expert in black powder rifle and I've only shot pre-lubed commercial patches! I don't have the luxury of time to deal with the do-it-yourself mode, since work and family issues come first.

Dave

i would have but this place i get them form were out, they only had the dry patches, and was a 1$ cheaper, already had the tc 1000, got it for a buck too, found the blue pillow tick at wal world, on sale 2$ a ward, got 2 yards, so in my past time when doing nothing, i can cut me some patches, and make my own, btw all ready did the wash and air dry,they mic. out at .015, just the right size and a nice yellow- green too! :thumbsup:

Back