• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ultra-Hi Miroku Hawken .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredrader

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had never heard of one but I got one now..
So I took my (New to me) made in Japan Ultra-Hi Miroku Hawken .50 Flintlock Hawken out back and tried it out today and it did great..I shot it 7 or 8 times with 50g Goex FFFG 490rb pillow ticking..I shot it about 5 times out into the woods just to see if it would fire and it worked every time..
I then set up a target at 25yds and shot it 3 times and it shot about 1.5" group so I was happy and surprised..It seems to be a well made solid gun..I think it has 1:48 twist and shallow rifling but It still shoots good..I tried to find some info on it on the web but I couldn't find much at all on the Hawken..When were these made? Do they have a good Reputation? I think I will be happy with it no matter what though..
Click on the pic for a larger view..

Why not save all the clicking and just post the images here?

Guns002.jpg

Ultra Hi made several different guns in he 70's maybe into the 80's I have not shot one or heard much about them either way, the only caution I have heard on some Japanese guns is a welded breech plug rather than threaded, I do not know if there is anything to this or not,it is likely a servicable production gun that will do well for hunting and trail walks,target shooting, most were a bit shy on authenticity but accepted at events most everywhere.

tg said:
Ultra Hi made several different guns in he 70's maybe into the 80's I have not shot one or heard much about them either way, the only caution I have heard on some Japanese guns is a welded breech plug rather than threaded, I do not know if there is anything to this or not,it is likely a servicable production gun that will do well for hunting and trail walks,target shooting, most were a bit shy on authenticity but accepted at events most everywhere.

This is somewhat of a misconception, actualy the breachplug itself is threaded in as per normal, but the tang is a seperate piece and it is the tang that is welded on.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

The "Ultra-Hi" was imported from late "60s to early "80s. They are good quality and will serve well if properly maintained.
My wife and I each have their ".69cal. Minuteman rifle" (which is actually a .67cal. smoothbore trade gun) and have taken much game and competitions with them.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Carl Davis said:
Why not save all the clicking and just post the images here?

Guns002.jpg
I use the clickable thumbnail's when I post pics because some people have slow internet connections and large pics load slow or not at all for them..This way they can go to the thread and the page loads fast and they can read everything and if they want they can click on the small pic and view the larger pic if they want to.
:wink:

Ok,I shot it again and sighted it today..It seems to shoot good with 50g FFFG Goex..Click on the pic for a larger view..

Does it have narrow lands on the rifling? Had one of the 45's once upon a time. Favored up a lot of rice with that rifle. Learned how to shoot low and bounce turtles and frogs up off the bank and into the weeds (rabbits and armadillas can be scarce sometimes).

Try increasing the powder charge to 55 grains, and see if you don't get better groups. Then move back to 50 yards, to zero the gun. Don't worry about it shooting "high" at these ranges. Shoot for groups, first. You can adjust the sights, later. Nice shooting, BTW! :thumbsup:

Dixie Gun Works was one of the primary importers of their rifles and kits, primarily the Tennessee and the Kentuckies, they always got favorable reviews from the buyers.

GoodCheer said:
Does it have narrow lands on the rifling? Had one of the 45's once upon a time. Favored up a lot of rice with that rifle. Learned how to shoot low and bounce turtles and frogs up off the bank and into the weeds (rabbits and armadillas can be scarce sometimes).
It has rifling like a Thompson Center..I like it :thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
Try increasing the powder charge to 55 grains, and see if you don't get better groups. Then move back to 50 yards, to zero the gun. Don't worry about it shooting "high" at these ranges. Shoot for groups, first. You can adjust the sights, later. Nice shooting, BTW! :thumbsup:
I'll give it a try and see how it does..Thanks

robhof said:
Dixie Gun Works was one of the primary importers of their rifles and kits, primarily the Tennessee and the Kentuckies, they always got favorable reviews from the buyers.
It is a well made rifle for sure,It feels like my Thompson Center Hawken and shoots as well or better..

Latest posts

Back