• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Herschel House on Youtube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Boyleston

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey front loaders- something cool for all to see- if you can read this you can get on YOUTUBE- type in Herschel House Longrifle. Really good from his shop with a fine rifle, Herschel is down to the Earth as much as dirt is, he is the real deal with no big ego. It is nice to see some one live the dream and enjoy every second. Check it out, the Great Pinyone

That was great! Thanks for sharing. He's a "little older" than the Foxfire days! Livin' life on his terms, can't beat that. He does beautiful work.

I'm sure a lot of new members missed that post and we seem to answer the same questions over and over, so why not bring this back to the top, it's worth watching more than once.

Great video!!!

Hershel is a wealth of information, and very willing to share it.
The thing about Hershel is, he is not so full of himself that he is above talking to anyone with a question.
I have spent several nights by his fire at various rendezvous which resulted in many long and informative talks.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I'd love touring his place while he is working on something. He seems like a real down home guy.

I noticed that he is shooting a right handed rifle from the left side. Also that he shook hands with his left.

Jim: Sign up and take any of the Gun Building classes offered by the NMLRA. Each year, the classes are invited to the House homestead, where Frank and Herschel put on a BBQ, and do some informal shooting. A tour of their shop is always a treat.

I have one video of his, and I guess it was cold in his shop because he was dressed in an old wool cap and ratty coat. My kids would see what I was watching and ask "Are you watching that homeless guy again Dad?". Yep, pretty down to earth.

But man, I sure did learn alot from that video. I think he builds by sense of smell and sound. Bill

Check the December, or January issues of Muzzle Blasts, where the dates time and places for the courses are listed. The classes are held in late May, and early June, just before the Spring National shoot is held at Friendship, Ind. home of the NMLA. My brother has taken two courses, and they are conducted each year at the same college campus. People live in motels. The House family lives nearby the college. Without looking for the back issue of MB, I don't recall the name of the college. CRS disease, tonight. :blah: :rotf: :idunno:

Someone here will know and chime in to help you. If I talk to my brother tomorrow, I will try to remember to ask him, and post a note then. :thumbsup:

Jim Hay said:
I noticed that he is shooting a right handed rifle from the left side. Also that he shook hands with his left.
I believe that the man he shook hands with has a artificial right hand. :idunno:

Tinker2 said:
Jim Hay said:
I believe that the man he shook hands with has a artificial right hand. :idunno:

I think you are correct, he did a show about hunting deer with a Kentucky pistol because of the one hand.

Back