• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with old T/C barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennypapa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1" T/C 50 cal 1/48" shallow groove barrel off my renegade. I short started it last summer and created a bulge about 6" from the muzzle when I fired it.

Well, I was cleaning up last night and got to wondering what I could do with that thing. I'll have to cut it off of course and it will only have about 20" of barrel left after that.

Give me your ideas on what to do with it. Any ideas are appreciated even do it yourself ideas. I have contemplated trying to deepen the grooves in one of these types of barrels so I thought I might try that if I can get the breech plug off but before I do anything like that I wanted to hear what the forum has to say.

Ben

Cut it off for a pistol barrel to play with, use the rest of it to practice engraving on.
Now it is not a good twist for a pistol, as far as pistol barrels go. But the way I shoot a pistol, wouldn't make any dif. what twist it was ! :rotf: :rotf:

It may be possible to have it rebored to a .54 or .58 depending on how much you bulged the barrel.
you can have it done with a roundball twist with radius bottom cut rifling or a faster twist for conicals instead of the 1-48 if you wanted.

Bennypapa said:
I have a 1" T/C 50 cal 1/48" shallow groove barrel off my renegade.
Ben
Send it to Ed Rayl to have it bored out to a .62cal/.20ga...just like the 1" GM drop-in barrels for the Renegade/Hawken.

A .20ga smoothbore barrel is a fantastic versatile barrel for everything...small and big game, sitting, running, or flying.

Hey There !!!

Call T/C !!! Great People !!! They will replace all their parts if they go wrong or wear out. :wink:

Just might luck out, won't know if you don't ask..

Good Luck !!!

Ed....

I would probably make several pistol barrels. I have a pistol made with a section of old rifle barrel with a 1/60 twist and it still shoots pretty well. You could get a mountain pistol barrel with a hooked breech ready to go(dressed off screws to fill the sight mount holes, cut new dovetails for pistol sights) and maybe 2 more that will need machined and threaded for breech plugs out of it. Boring and rifling may be expensive.
Jon

"Send it to Ed Rayl to have it bored out to a .62cal/.20ga...just like the 1" GM drop-in barrels for the Renegade/Hawken."

I wouldn't feel safe with that bulged area in there. I'm gonna cut that off regardless. That would only leave me with about 20". I bet it would scatter shot so wide with that short of a barrel, some of it would hit behind you. :rotf:

I do like the idea of making pistol barrels. The thing has a 0.5" bore with 0.005" rifling. If I have that rifling removed I'd have a 0.510 bore that should shoot a 0.5" ball ok. I could then have it rifled to whatever twist I like.

With the original breech plug length and adding a hawken style tang/breech I could have 2 barrels.

HMMM Something to think about for sure.

Ben

You are correct......... A bulged barrel is stressed , a safety issue, & a Defect...... You don't rebore it or use it :shake:, you scrap it. Cut that part off, period......

That being said, you could bore the good part if you wish, to another caliber or smoothbore. But why put $ in a shot barrel that is too short ? 20" won't hardly burn the powder up. Best use is pistol barrels if that is something you want. Or a tomato stake for a lifetime ? :wink: Be the only one around like it & very durable.

Bennypapa said:
"Send it to Ed Rayl to have it bored out to a .62cal/.20ga...just like the 1" GM drop-in barrels for the Renegade/Hawken."

I wouldn't feel safe with that bulged area in there.

I wasn't thinking clearly...was only thinking about the internal damage and how to salvage it...forgot about the fact that the wall all around was bulged out :redface:

I work at a place that sells rebar. I have enough tomato stakes to last 4 lifetimes. And fence posts and and and...

Pistol barrels it is. Now I just have to get that darn breech plug out. Off to search the archived threads.

Thanks all,
Ben

Don't take out unless really necessary. Use the existing breech if it is OK. Find a used T/C Tang & use it. You can get them for ? $10. or so on eBay, as I had about 8 of them I sold. I will look in my junk & see if I have one left.

Donate it to a local Hunter Education instructor to use as a classroom aid in showing why ML projectiles need to be seated firmly against the propellant charge.

White Fox, who is a Colorado Master Hunter Ed Instructor, and always on the lookout for props. You should see this one shotgun barrel I was given.......

I use a 20 or so inch .54 renegade barrel for deer in thick stuff once in awhile. It still kills deer. :grin: Larry Wv

[Pistol barrels it is. Now I just have to get that darn breech plug out]

Like birddog says - Why bother ?

Make a cut 10" ahead of the breechplug, and you've already got your first pistol barrel ready for lock/stock, and can then deal with the rest of the barrel for the second pistol.

Maybe you can make a matching pair or duelers !

Pete44ru said:
[Pistol barrels it is. Now I just have to get that darn breech plug out]

Like birddog says - Why bother ?

Make a cut 10" ahead of the breechplug, and you've already got your first pistol barrel ready for lock/stock, and can then deal with the rest of the barrel for the second pistol.

Maybe you can make a matching pair or duelers !

Well,
if I'm gonna make into pistols I'd like to ream and re-rifle to get a proper pistol twist rate. (Why go to the work of making a gun with a barrel that has the wrong twist rate? AND shallow groove depth to boot.) To ream/re-rifle would require the tooling to pass through both ends of the barrel and so the breech plug would have to go. At least long enough to do the work.

HMM, Now I'm gonna have to do some research on home brew old timey rifle reaming tools. Maybe I can do the work myself. What would I loose if I screwed it up, a ruined barrel?

Anybody know of any resources for hand/home made reaming tools? I found this site but would love to see more or books.
http://www.iowatelecom.net/~toadhall/_the_long_bit.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had bulged barrels lined. They shoot great. Costs about $200 to have one lined.
I have also found a bulged barrel will usually shoot just as well as it always did with out any fix what so ever.

Mike Brooks said:
I have also found a bulged barrel will usually shoot just as well as it always did with out any fix what so ever.

And, revisiting my initial post, it seems that with the slight bulge just a few inches back from the muzzle, its located where pressure has fallen off to about its lowest point on the pressure curve.

Considering that, it still seems like it could be bored out to a smoothbore and that slight bulge shouldn't be an issue as its basically located about where Jug Choke expansion chambers are honed anyway, which also makes a barrel weaker in that same area.

By the time you line the barrel or bore the barrel, plus pay the shipping & insurance to & from, you could have bought a good barrel for a Renegade, and very possibly a whole rifle.

And also I have seen pistol barrels on special many times for $ 50.

Latest posts

Back