• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting patches at the muzzle when hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I can see how cutting your patch at the muzzle could make a rifle more accurate because no matter how hard I try with either a round or square patch,I still get the patch off-center when loading.So I want to try cutting at the muzzle.How do you guys carry your ticking strips?Do you pre-lube the strips or lube them in the field? How do you deal with the lube getting all over everything?

I cheat...I use a loading block when hunting...

If I run out and need to load, I keep a strip of prelubed patching in the patch box...I just pull it out, retrieve a ball from my pouch and load up...

Problem Child said:
I can see how cutting your patch at the muzzle could make a rifle more accurate because no matter how hard I try with either a round or square patch,I still get the patch off-center when loading.

Not to try and change your mind about cutting at the muzzle, but in reality it makes no difference in accuracy if a ball is not precisely centered on a pre-cut patch.

You just just need to ensure that there's enough patch material up around the entire circumference of the ball...as long as that's accomplished, it doesn't matter if patch material is 5/16" up past the circumference in one area and 1/4" up past the circumference in another area.

If you're having to spend a lot of time fiddling around centering the ball, it sounds like your patch may be too small...just use the next size larger patch.

By all means, cut at the muzzle if that's something you want to do...just trying to point out that whether or not a ball is precisely centered is actually not a problem as long as material is up around all sides

I also use a loading block when hunting, but I "cut at the block" when I load my prbs in to the block, so they're still pretty well wrapped.

I hang a strip of patch material over the end of the ram rod where it is handy when I am ready to load. The ramrods on all of my rifles are close enough to the barrel that the strip fits and stays there nicely.

I can see how cutting your patch at the muzzle could make a rifle more accurate because no matter how hard I try with either a round or square patch,I still get the patch off-center when loading.

Like roundball said this statement is untrue.

How do you guys carry your ticking strips?

I keep a strip tucked under then over my belt

Do you pre-lube the strips or lube them in the field?

Lube them in the field..........Spit patch :thumbsup:

How do you deal with the lube getting all over everything?

I wipe off my mouth :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

Unless you are using a TOO SMALL IN DIAMETER pre-cut patch with your gun, you are over-stating the problem. Use a wider diameter patch, or a square patch. As Roundball Notes, it doesn't matter if the ball is NOT EXACTLY CENTERED in the patch, PROVIDED that you have enough material that the ball has material on all sides of the ball/circumference. You only get into problems if you load a ball so crooked to the patch that you have lead touching the barrel on one side, and patch in between the lead ball and the barrel on the other side.

I am all in favor of either cutting your patches at the muzzle, when hunting, or using a ball block, where the ball and patch are cut when put in the block. Either works. Since MLing hunting is basically a SINGLE SHOT sport, the load in your barrel that you carefully loaded before going into the field is the most important shot. If you miss your game, there is NO way you can reload your gun fast enough to be assured of a second shot at the same animal. Taking your time, to clean the barrel, then load the powder, and then cut your patch at the muzzle gives you the time to calm down, and begin listening to the forest animals for sounds that tell you where the animal you shot has gone( if its out of sight).

Then you can go to the spot the game was located when you fired your first shot, and look for "sign" indicating a hit( blood, fur, flinches in the animal's tracks), and then locate and follow the game's tracks to find the animal.

This kind of hunting requires you to slow down, so You Don't miss anything, and moving slowly is the ONLY WAY you can move QUIETLY in forest clutter. If you move quietly, and SLOWLY, the birds, squirrels, and other animals will not give off alarm calls to announce your presence!

The slow tracking allows your wounded game to stop and lay down to rest, where its likely to bleed out, and die, rather than running on adrenalin for miles. You may come upon an animal that is still alive, and can use that second shot to humanely put it out of its misery.

I don't hunt where multiple Tags are issued, so I am simply not used to solving that problem as a hunter. ie. how do you take advantage of a situation where more than one animal is within range??? when you are only shooting a Muzzleloader? :idunno: Where I hunt, you watch the other animal(s) walk away, and hope you can find them later, or some other day. :surrender: :thumbsup:

What makes more difference than anything, is the sprue being centered when starting. The patch not being centered does not make a difference as long as it captures the ball on all sides, as previously stated.

roundball said:
Problem Child said:

Not to try and change your mind about cutting at the muzzle, but in reality it makes no difference in accuracy if a ball is not precisely centered on a pre-cut patch.

You just just need to ensure that there's enough patch material up around the entire circumference of the ball...as long as that's accomplished, it doesn't matter if patch material is 5/16" up past the circumference in one area and 1/4" up past the circumference in another area.

If you're having to spend a lot of time fiddling around centering the ball, it sounds like your patch may be too small...just use the next size larger patch.

By all means, cut at the muzzle if that's something you want to do...just trying to point out that whether or not a ball is precisely centered is actually not a problem as long as material is up around all sides

+1 to that! :grin:

But I carry prelubed strip in a film canister, my strip is wide enough to fill the depth of the canister.

I do cut at the muzzle but to each his own. I carry pre lubed patch materal made up to the weather, below freezing deer tallow and above freezing bees wax mixed with deer tallow carried in a mid 1700s plastic bowl with a lid :rotf: :rotf: When Im at the range just spit .

Good advice to slow down and get your thoughts under control then start listening to what nature is telling you. As a kid I used to love to go out into the forrest and sit there listening and watching. Taught me more than any amount of formal education ever did.

I carry a piece of ticking a bought one and a half inches long in between my check and gum. One less thing to dig out of the shooting bag.

Thank you for the comment. Most people have no clue what I am writing about. Not even when I take them out into the woods, sit them down, and ask them what they hear! Or point out calls, and ask them to point the location of the sound.

Don't dare ask them to tell you what the calls mean!

You learned to type well, so don't knock formal education. A wise man takes advantage of education wherever he can get it- even here! I was tracking as a kid, for years, keeping my passion secret, because I didn't want to be called Weird for any more reasons than I already owned publicly. When I began investigating crime scenes as an investigator for the local Public Defender's office, when I was an intern from law school, I found out to my total amazement that police were not trained to, nor expected to know, how to look for, see, and Read tracks when investigating crime! How do you find witnesses, how do you locate the crooks, how they came to the scene, and how they left, if you don't look for, see, and read their tracks??? My mother used to ask me to go find out "outdoors cat", to get him indoors during the sub-zero winters. I would find him- often several houses away, by tracking him. Mom never quite understood how I could find him so fast. In the summers, I could find him because the birds would be carrying on and following him, flying down at him, and warning others that he was on the hunt. I also could tell mom how close the mailman was based on which dogs in the neighborhood were barking at him.

I was so Naive, I actually thought Everyone did these things. :shake: :nono: :youcrazy: :shocked2: :idunno: :surrender: I earned a reputation as a good investigator in just a couple of months working for a Public Defender. I was finding evidence that proved that witnesses had lied to the police, that events as described by police reports could not have happened that way, and evidence of other persons who were more likely the guilty parties. The lawyer I worked for began having the reputation around the Courthouse as the " new Perry Mason". He called me to his office one day to ask me how it was I saw things others didn't at crime scenes, and how I was able to understand the importance of what I found, but also what I didn't find that should have been there if the events took place as the victims described.

Uh-Oh. Time to come out of the closet. I asked him if he ever watched The Lone Ranger, and if so, did he remember Tonto?? He did, and I then admitted to him that I was a "tracker", and read sign and tracks like he read the newspaper.

He smiled and asked if I was like Tonto, and I said in return, Yes, only a lot better! Then I explained how the Hollywood writers would make Tonto a terrific tracker following bad guys over bare rocks one day, and the next day he could not follow 3 or 4 horses across sand and dirt!

He then took me through every case I had worked on for him, and asked me in detail to explain how I found this or that piece of evidence.

He ended the session by telling me how other lawyers were calling him the new Perry Mason, and that he had never had an investigator, not when he was an Assistant States Attorney, an Acting States attorney, court appointed counsel, or as an Assistant Public defender, that produced more results than I had. He was hoping that I would continue as his investigator and clerk, as I progressed through Law school.

I still surprise friends and relatives by seeing and hearing things they never notice, sometimes interrupting conversations to point out wild animals nearby, for instance. I have been doing this "weird" thing of mine( tracking both people and animals) now for 56 years +, so I really don't how I will ever stop. I rarely consciously think about it. I just do it out of habit.

I hope my occasional comment here on the forum helps some of the younger hunters expand their knowledge about hunting skills. Older hunters actually can learn more " new tricks" than the young guys, because they immediately recognize information that fills in a gap in their base of knowledge, and understand how to use that new knowledge.

I tie a strip onto the strap for my possibles bag and wrap it around the strap so it doesn't get in the way.

I totally understand what you are saying. Although I have not hunted in 25yrs, lessons learned at an early age are still with me.
The primary lesson that was drummed in my young head was "no matter what you are doing, BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS". Sounds easy, right? Not! My daily routine on the farm included training in seeing, not just looking. One morning my Grandpa and I were going in the barn and he grabbed my arm. He asked me what was wrong in the barn. Well I looked around and said "nothing". That earned me a whack on the head. He said "we are not going inside until you tell me what's wrong". After about 30min of hearing "tell me what's wrong" I noticed one of the barn cats sitting on a stall rail. He was staring at the ground . Laying in a spot of sunlight on the floor was a large rattle snake. Lesson learned.
Over and over I heard "boy, you look but you don't see, you listen but don't hear". At the time I thought Grandpa was just being mean and picking on me. As time passed, it finally dawned on me that he was giving me the most valuable thing I have ever had. Years passed before I said thanks. He just smiled and said "now you are the teacher".
Mike

You are a very fortunate man. Most of us don't get around to making those " thank you's" until its too late. :hmm:

Good post, there are so many signs verbal and non that we miss each day. I went on a walk yesterday with the family through a marhsland here at home. We made a game out of the first person to see a new lizard rummaging through the trail. The Boy found the first three without trouble where we didn't see or hear them. We were looking through the marshes rather than in and around them. Kind of brought me back 30 or so years into my childhood and made me realize how much I was missing based upon my own lack of awareness to the small things. Great post! Thanks!

Problem Child said:
How do you guys carry your ticking strips?Do you pre-lube the strips or lube them in the field? How do you deal with the lube getting all over everything?

Two methods: Pre-loaded in a ball block or lubed strips in a deerskin pouch that has been well waxed inside with hot beeswax (lower left of image).

HPIM0448.jpg

The choice of lubes also makes a large difference in mess avoidance. Some lubes allow you to dip cotton strips and dry them and still the oils will be enough to lube the patch although they are much less messy to handle.

Back