• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New LePage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Many Klatch

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I just traded some pictures of dead presidents for a new (to me) LePage flintlock .44 rifled target pistol. In trolling the internet I find that folks seem to be shooting .433 ball in this pistol. However Pedersoli recommends a .435 ball. Now either of these ball sizes are going to require a custom mold, so before I order one or the other, does anyone have any experience shooting a LePage and what load would you suggest?

Many Klatch

The .433 ball is readily available from on line vendors and doesn't require a mold but the .435, thats another story.

Don

I took the LePage to the range today. I was shooting at 25 yards. The gun shoots better than I can. I was shooting at NRA slow fire and rapid fire targets. I was able to keep the shots in the black which is a first for me.

I was surprised at how well it functions. The set trigger was light but crisp. The lock keeps getting good sparks no matter how many shots there are on the flint.

I was using a .424 ball with .010 patching over 25 grains of 3F. It was a nice easy to load combination that I could short start with my thumb. I have a .435 mold on order from J.J. Tanner. I will be interesting to see how that loads, I may have to use a 4# beater to get the load down the barrel.

Clean up was real easy with the patent breech. The barrel pin is finger tight. Its the first time that I have been able to pull a barrel without having to use a tool of any kind.

Anyway, it looks like a good shooter and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Many Klatch

Many, where did you get a mold for 424 balls? I have a 44 cal target pistol (tingle knock off) with a very tight bore and the 433 balls are a tight palm bruiser fit even with .005 patch material.

FWIW, I'm using a .433 ball, 0.010" patch and 20gr FFFg Goex. Don't need a short starter to seat the ball, just tap it with the handle on the loading rod so it "sticks" then ram it home.

The .424 balls were ready made by a vendor. I'll have to get the package to get you a name. If you are going to shoot a lot, J.J. Tanner of England custom makes molds of any size. I have a .435 mold that I ordered a week ago that may show up today. Cost was $40. His molds fit onto standard Lyman handles.

Many Klatch

Thanks Bill, we will see how the .435 balls work once I get the new mold.

Many Klatch

Check out E-Bay for round ball moulds.
Lyman once had a whole regement of round ball moulds that included: .420, .424, .429,.433 and .437, these appear quite frequently in their listings.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Too Much, unfortunately the Pedersoli website says that the LePage was designed to shoot a .435 ball. I'll be able to tell you whether it makes any difference in a week or two. Hopefully my new .435 Mold from J.J. Tanner will show up soon.

Many Klatch

I am using a .433 Hornady ball, .10 patch and 15 grains of T777 or Swiss 3F. Both shoot way beyond my ability. About 3in two hand hold at 25 yds.

Only had the pistol a few weeks and have not benched it as the off hand groups were so good (for me). May put it on the sandbag rest this week just to see.

I know I can't hold any harder, but just curious.

I did have a chance to bench this with the .424 balls and it was OK, I was able to keep them in the black (kind of) but not what I think this gun is capable of.

If you go online to Pedersoli's website there is a place in there where they recommend the load for each gun that they make. The LePage is listed at 24 grains with a 30 grain max. A .435 ball and .010 patching.

Looks like we will both be learning how to shoot this gun.

Many Klatch

Hello:
This is my first post to the forum. I've read your threads and find them very informative. Thanks.

My question is what is fair market value for a Charles Moore Pedersoli Flint rifled pistol? An acquaintance wants to sell me one and we agreed on fair market price, but neither of us knows what that is.

Thanks
LG

With black powder guns much of there value depends on the condition of the barrel and if the barrel is in excellent condition the rest of the guns condition enters into it.

My old 2003 Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values says a Charles Moore was worth $355 @ 100 %, $300 @ 98%, $240 @ 95%. Add $60 for the Flintlock system.

Dixies 2009 catalog says they want $650 in Flint and $595 in Percussion. They are always high priced there.

To get back on track, a plain Flintlock La Page International back in 2003 listed for $780 or $985 with a deluxe maple stock.

I paid $700 for my LePage and it had only been shot about 30 times so I count it as new.

You can go to Pedersoli's website and find what the recommended sale price for your gun in new condition.

Many Klatch

I got my new .435 mold from Tanner and cast up a bunch of ball on Friday. I had a chance to shoot them today. The gun is really accurate with a .435 ball, 20 grains of 3F, .010 patching. I was using moosemilk as a patch lube. I shot over 20 shots today without ever having to swab the barrel. The gun just seemed to keep getting better as it was shot. Maybe the barrel is getting "shot in".

One thing I noticed. The gun came with a flint already in it. It had been shot a number of times before I got it. I have put about 40 more shots through it and I am still using the same flint. This gun really goes easy on flints.

Many Klatch

This gun really goes easy on flints.

Same thing on mine. Just keep using 'em until they're down to a nub.

I was a little concerned with how hard the frizzen opened on my pistol, but given the flint life I've gotten, I wasn't about to mess with it.

No this one is rifled. With the .435 ball and .010 patching it needs a healthy push with a short starter to get into the barrel, but then it slides right on down without a lot of effort.

Many Klatch

Hey Grizz, I got tired of scattering lead all over the countryside when I shot a pistol. Thought it would be a good idea to get one with sights.

Many Klatch

Back