• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do you carry lubed patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a plastic smokeless chewing tobacco box. Also use one for my dampened swabbing patches.

I carry my lubed patches in a loading block with the patch around the ball. For reloading the loading block the extra patches fit the old film canisters nicely.Or an empty percusion cap tin.

I use spit at the range so don't need anything. For hunting I use an old cap tin to carry the prelubed patches.

An old burned altoids tin.Holds more than enough patches and felt wads to do any woodswalk shoot with.Put the tin in my chest inner pocket to keep the lubed patches warm in the winter walks.Used to use snuff cans but always seemed to lose the lid..Ray

I, too, use a Sucrets can to carry my pre-cut patches in. In order to make it look more authentic, I put it in the coals of a camp fire and burned off all of the paint. Then I used some 4 ought steel wool and some motor oil to rub the metal surface clean of all burned paint and ashes. This resulted in a nice dark aged-looking finish that would pass all but the most careful scrutiny as an authentic tin.

Having said that, I acutally prefer to cut my patches at the muzzle. I coat my patch material with the preferred lube, wrap it in newspaper and run an iron over it to melt the lube into the material. Then I cut or tear the material into the proper width strips. I will take one of these strips and drape it over the end of my ramrod just in front of the front thimble. The gap between the ramrod and the bottom of the barrel in most rifles is small enough that a strip of patch material will remain there quite easily. When you are ready to load, the patch material is right there ready to be used. I carry spare strips rolled up in my Sucrets can in the bottom of my possibles bag or in my pocket.

I have used this technique when punching paper, doing a woodswalk and hunting and it has worked quite well in all occasions.

I used an empty shoe polish tin once, It was originally for making tender, so the paint was burned off after being through the coals.

Used the same principle, but made mine out of leather. Use stiff leather for the bottom and it works well. :grin:

A musket cap tin for large and a #10/#11 tin for small. Antiques cause they're over 40 years old.

Osayo,
I dont know that there is anything "authentic" to carry lubed patches in. Supposedly thats what the patch box on the rifle was for, But I personally havent seen any referances to it being used as that. Ive seen The "patch box" refered to as a "Butt trap" and have seen Grease holes in stocks as well.

My brother carries a greased roll of patching loose in his bag, But i dont like that as it seems as grease gets everywhere.
I use Spit patches myself. However sometimes I do use pre-cut greased patches. I will carry them in a modern Cap tin. They fit perfect, But wouldent say its authentic.

One guy I saw, carried a roll of lubed patching in his butt trap with a small bit hanging from the lid of the trap. When he needed a patch he pulled it and it unrolled from inside the trap. He then just tore off the piece he needed. Seemed to work good for him.

I just carry them dry and keep one or two out to chew on to lube. Balls in a bag in my pocket. Horn over the shoulder. Keeps it simple.

Empty cap tins. Chuck 'em in the barbecue to burn off the paint etc. Then they clean up looking kind of funky old. Hold .50 +/- patches just fine. Good smoke, Ron in FL

I carry balls and pre lubed patches in a pocket , lose, with nothing else, in the shooting bag

For in field hunting; the film canister or perscription bottle.

Rendezvous; Altiod tin with paint burnt off and/or I have a round tin that seals water out really well.
I was on a woods walk once and the guy took our carry items and dunked them in a bucket of water! Just in and out quick to similate a canue tipping or a fall in a creek! Now I carry that tin with my fire kit and some patching! :thumbsup:

I use my old Skoal cans to carry my lubed patches. I painted the can (to hide the modern marks) and cleared off the decals as well. The patches fit nicely and it’s a small container that works fine for me.

Mark B

Yup, I carry my pre-cut and lubed patches in a tin that fits inside my rifle bag.

Take up smoking a pipe for awhile. All sorts of great tins, various shapes and sizes for anything and everything. Toss 'em in the fire to get all the paint/paper off, rup em down with oil or wax, wipe with a nice rag. They're the best, and there's no pesky hinges to hide from the PC police.

Back