• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun sling ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanschd

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm building a GPR (my first build), and Most of my hunting will be done on foot. We have very "hilly" terrain and I need to use my hands. I'm looking to make a gun sling. It doesn't have to be period correct, but I don't want swivels in my stock either. Any ideas or patterns for a simple sling?

All you need is a long strip of leather or whatever you want to use, I find suede leather close to 2" wide to be best. Just make a vertical slit in both end about an inch or two from the end and pull the other end through that slit making loops, one around your grip area and one around your barrel. Once it's cinched up, easy and does the job and easily removable.

This is good for guys who don't want one on a gun while walking the woods hunting but come in handy when you need both hands like dragging a deer out. Just roll it up and put in your pocket or bag/pack until needed. :thumbsup:

I create slings, as needed, but for my gun carried muzzle down, on my off-shoulder, so that I can lift the muzzle UP to clear brush, or the ground when climbing slopes. I found that slinging a gun over my shoulder Muzzle Up simply guaranteed that I would catch the gun barrel on every overhead branch, limb, vine, etc.

The second advantage of carrying the gun muzzle down on your non-dominant hand is that it allows you to control the rifle with your forehand located on the Forestock of the rifle, making it much smoother to lift that gun up to your shoulder to fire, if an opportunity presents itself. I taught myself to stick my Right Elbow Out to catch the loop of the sling as I mounted the gun, so that I could put tension on the loop as soon as the butt touched my shoulder. As an alternative- with a sling that is longer, and non- adjustable-- I wrap my right wrist through the loop as I am bringing the gun to the shoulder, and that puts tension on the gun to help steady my aim. ( I am LHed. Do everything here the reverse if you are RHed.) :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back